Home Technical Talk

Handplane with Marmoset Toolbag 2 artefacts

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

currently working and testing the Marmoset Toolbag 2, I have some little artefacts on my normal.

So I try to use Handplane to fix by Object Space baking, but when I want bake the tangent space normal, I see that there is no preset for Marmoset.

And with the other presets I always have these artefacts.

So, is there a simple way to have a good tangent normal map for Marmoset with Handplane by first baking object space Nm in xNormal ?

I'm a little bit confused.:poly117:

Replies

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    you can use, say, max tangent space as a target in both apps and it'll work.
  • Dolmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

I did a little screenshot to explain the problem.

So when I bake with Handplane for 3dsmax, it works like a charm with 3point lite shader, but when I bake for Marmoset (I don't know what is the best preset) I have the same problems that a simple xNormal tangent space normal map.

HandplaneNmArtefacts.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    For handplane 3dsmax output we calculate normals and tangents to match 3dsmax. We do this for our target engines when possible so that a maya or blender user will generate the exact same normal map as 3dsmax user. My understanding is that marmoset imports normals from the model file and calculates tangents to match the game engine. It may be possible to have the mesh normals in marmoset not match the normals handplane calcuted and baked into the tangent space map.
    That may not be the cause of the problem in this case as it looks like you are using 3dsmax for everything. It is possible newer versions of 3dsmax are not exporting the same normals as the versions I use. I gave up on keeping track of changes autodesk makes to 3dsmax normals or tangents.

Also, make sure the model was triangulated before making the tangent space map in handplane.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Also,
    I don't have a marmoset 2 license around to test with. What tangent spaces are on the list? If unity is available I would try that. Also, see what happens when you set handplane to 'input binormal and tangent'.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Also,
    I don't have a marmoset 2 license around to test with. What tangent spaces are on the list?
    Currently there is Marmoset, MikkTspace, Maya, Max. I can't remember if it was just during the beta or not but I do recall reading that max ts wasn't 100% in tb2—but I may be wrong.

Have you tried baking TS in max and using max ts in marmoset? Also make sure it's not a triangulation thing.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I seem to recall something about having to flip the green channel on your Max TS normal bakes to make it look right in tb2. I don't use Max so I wouldn't know for sure.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Just bake your normal map in max, export to TB2 as .fbx, and set the tangent space to 3dsmax, works perfectly. (if you keep the usual things in mind such as export triangulated mesh), just keep it simple, no need to introduce all these extra steps imo.
    for max 2012, not 100% sure for 13/14.
  • Dolmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

so after some experiments and some weird result, I managed to have a more correct normal map (in TB2) like the 3dsmax one with 3ptlite shader screenshot.

So the steps are :

1. Bake my object space normal with xNormal (X+,Y+,Z+) (With my exploded LP/HP mesh)
    2. then re export an fbx file of my exploded mesh with 3dsmax. (Config : Smoothing group "on", and Preserve edge orientation "on")
    3. Bake the Tg space map with Handplane with Auto detect and Edit : not 3dsmax but Maya 13/14 preset for Output. (Weird things append with 3dsmax preset)
    4. And finally re export the final version of the LP mesh with symmetry applied and reset xform( + flip normal)
    It is not perfect, but more correct that the previous one.

TB2_Tg_Nm.PNG
  • Dolmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
    Little update.

I do some screenshots with different presets in Handplane.

In fact Source Engine preset is the best, because with Maya 203/14 I always have seams.

MarmosetNmSeams.jpg
    MarmosetNmSeams.jpghttp:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maps baked in Max should look perfect in TB2 with the max tangents, there were issues in the beta but those were fixed. A couple things though:
    1. Make sure to triangulate your mesh, some of the errors in your first image are from loading a quad mesh, with TB triangulating differently than Max (the X shaped smoothing errors).
    2. Make sure to turn on export normals in the obj export options (export smoothing groups isn't enough).
    3. When you select the max TS in TB2, it automatically flips the Y, so if you are manually flipping Y in the material, or before loading that may cause issues.

Maya bakes work perfectly too, but you need to:
    A. triangulate before baking, or
    B. Lock normals, triangulate, and export (mesh normals change in maya when you triangulate)

XN/Mikktspace is like 95%, results are very good but not perfect, theres still one issue we need to solve I think.