Home General Discussion

Legacy of Kain - Nosgoth

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
Sooooooooo....this is the game we have been working on here at Psyonix for a bit.
http://nosgoth.com/
nosgoth-factions-1366x768.jpg?1380099624

If anyone reads NeoGaf or frequents forums they may have heard about the production of this game, I can't really talk about it but I will link to the thread if anyone is interested. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651291

Anyways we here have our hearts and souls into this.. and I promise you it's actually really fucking cool. It is so over the top, and ridiculous, and violent, and fast, and fun, and chaotic and a kick in the ass to play.. It's a shame that forums are a buzzed with hopes we all die and the game gets cancelled. BUT I HAVE FAITH IN MY POLYCOUNT BRETHREN TO BELIEVE IN NOSGOTH!

Replies

• The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Anything Nosgoth related, I'm in. That world is so full of potential to explore, so I'm definitely looking forward to checking this out.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    The game does look fun. Been a huge fan of the series for quite some time. Not going to lie I would much prefer a single player game but I don't doubt this will be a fun game to play!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! We all would love something single player related, but things happen.. I hope this is something that can hold you over for whenever Square decides to pull the trigger on that. We don't know what the plans are for LoK, we are just focused on Nosgoth. But this game IS A LOT OF FUN! I can't wait till Beta launches, cause there really isn't anything like this game on the Market.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Big fan of LoK series, I thought defiance wrapped it up nicely though. Wouldn't really make sense to continue that storyline.

Why are you getting death threats? haha
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome you finally get to announce what you have been working on Erich, looking forward too it!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    All I have to add to this is meh...

(Good to see it finally tho!)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I have to add to this is meh...

(Good to see it finally tho!)

Well! Hopefully we will get more screens and info to you, and you can try it out and win you over. :D
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    I love the previous games and world but so far I'm not feeling as if this is of the same universe. I'll wait for more info and also try it out :)

Winged vamps do look awesome.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    those winged vamps do look badass :)
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Seems kind of weird. Like if Nintendo were to release a Zelda multiplayer only shooter.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Seems kind of weird. Like if Nintendo were to release a Zelda multiplayer only shooter.

Links and Moblins shooting Arrows and hookshots at eachother? You wouldn't play that??!
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    is this adding anything to the previous storyline or establishing a new one?
    if not, i don't think i'll be getting this one. when i buy LOK, i buy for the story.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scapulator wrote: »
    is this adding anything to the previous storyline or establishing a new one?
    if not, i don't think i'll be getting this one. when i buy LOK, i buy for the story.

Directly through gameplay? No....but it is still really fun.. and F2P so you won't have to play it!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks kinda like Forge. Which is cool. I think we need more games like that. The last thing I saw of this kind of that Warhammer spinoff that didn't do too well. This looks promising though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ohh, I played through the DC version a couple years back. It was a fun game. Would be nice to have it again all purdy looking (it was purdy back then).
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    I'll try it for sure but imho doesnt look like anything from LoK universe to me.I have to say i havent played the old games from years, maybe my memory isnt that good anymore.Anyway i'm optimistic and hope this will lead to SP game(s) in the future. :)

Btw are you goint to have Kain and Raziel skins, or something similar?
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I'm obviously going to support it in hope that that they actualy "remake " and not " reboot " the franchise from blood omen. LoK is by far one of the most complex and well written story in the game industry. Thank you amy hennig for Soul reaver :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo: Can't talk about future skins (I just make environments and textures and rocks)
    Underfox: Ya! Honestly, supporting this game just shows higher ups that there is still a want and a desire for more Legacy of Kain!
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Are there any significant locations from LoK series?
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    since LoK is my alltime favorite game series, i have to ask, is there a reason for choosing nosgoth as a setting? so far i havent seen anything that has any resemblence to the old games, except the name. seems like someone just decided that it would sell better with an old franchise name on it. i mean if you removed the name, i dont think anyone would have guessed that it has anything to do with the LoK series. the artstyle isnt even close to the colorfull, stylized art in the old ones, and obviosly it hasnt anything related gameplay-wise.
    i think it would make more sense to just call this something else, like "vampires vs archers" and leave the old series alone until someone actually want a to make a storydriven zelda-like game the series is known for.

with this said, the game looks really fun with a lot of variation in playstyles, and i like the whole melee vs ranged thing.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    INPW: I can't answer too many questions, because I fear the wrath of Square.. But there is a FAQ that the Legacy of Kain community Manager has kindly answered a lot of questions.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138956

Luckily he has already answered what you asked!
    25. Will we revisit known areas of Nosgoth in the new game? Will we see new areas?
    Yes.

Stickadtroja: I am just an artist. Honestly my only job is to make the game look really friggin bad ass. Luckily we have one of the best Unreal Teams here and are doing just that, as far as all your concerns...we hear that coming up a lot. There is a live Q.A session Nosgoth is having In a few days and if you want to ask that question, you probably should!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Loved Soul Reaver when I was younger and looks like you guys have got the art style down pretty well. Going to try this out :)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking at the reactions on various game sites whichh are quite... negative, I do so I agree with them that this is not what LoK fans were looking for (but hey expectations are a bitch.)

Art style is hella cool though and definitely feels like a LoK type universe.

I will say one over negatively thing though: IMO that announcement trailer is terrible. Some may disagree, but I find reveals that include the developers talking about how cool and unique their game is really annoying. They are always scripted and wooden and filled with hyperbole. This kind of game was screaming for a cinematic trailer - from the very opening I was hoping to see some cool settings and characters with a slow reveal at the end of the pillars of Nosgoth to tie it all together.

Developer interview trailers should always come after the first reveal trailer so that the hype is delivered and the audience is now curious about function.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!! We have gameplay footage and what not! We recorded three matches with Shoutcaster Goldenboy, and we show off the classes and one new class on the last video. (I made all the rad out of bounds stuff and a shit ton of textures in the first map!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQsalH6WZ0"]Nosgoth Gameplay Premiere Pt. 1 - Team Deathmatch in Sommerdamm - YouTube[/ame]

Ugh. Why doesn't youtube embed half the time. :|
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks like a ton of fun to play. I signed up for the beta ages ago, hopefully I'll get lucky and get a key haha.

I hope there will be a solid playerbase though. People seem to be REALLY unhappy about the fact that this game is multiplayer.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the unhappy people have crawled back under their bridges. A lot of people who have played the game have actually been super positive and stoked on it..It was really nice seeing our fans combat the negative people on Twitch who never even played the game. Hopefully you get your alpha key soon!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I don't know anything about LoK, but I'm totally buying this. (Edit: Do I even have to buy it?) I LOVE more chaotic fighting, where maneuvering is a big thing and there's a lot to react to (...not in the way that MMOs have you reacting to all the damn icons/skill recharges/clicking on people's names). Just seems so much more like a battle than the standard "pew pew". I don't mind a good FPS, but this looks so refreshing.

I didn't even watch the video with sound, but I totally saw people running up and jumping off buildings, someone sprouted wings, shit was exploding, there seemed to be a bunch of different class variation. Loved the vibe of the whole thing.

Also, embedded:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQsalH6WZ0[/ame]
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea! It's actually f2p! (definitely not p2w). The only thing you have to pay for is different skins, kind of like the League model.

Here is a video of the fourth vampire class! The Deceiver. He is kind of like a spy, but even crazier.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovPU282Vso"]Nosgoth Gameplay Premiere Pt. 3 - Team Deathmatch in Freeport - YouTube[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    The deceiver looks awesome. Glad to see the game won't be P2W and balance is actually something that is heavily considered by the devs.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Tbh, I'm certainly not the biggest fan of multiplayer shooters, but everything about the game looks quality. Dat environment art is off the chain, animation is top shelf, and I'd prolly start a match by myself just to have a gaze at all assets

if that's possible
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks great! big fan of LoK! and this has to be one of the first F2P games i am actually wanting to play. So i signed on for the Beta haha

Good stuff on the art! congrats guys!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    LRoy wrote: »
    Big fan of LoK series, I thought defiance wrapped it up nicely though. Wouldn't really make sense to continue that storyline.

Why are you getting death threats? haha

wait what?

the ending of defiance was one giant cliffhanger... the ending of defiance was:

Kain looking out and watching the pillars shattering (he was "back" in the same timeline as older self making the choice to die and restore balance or live and shatter the pillars). the hilden being unleashed, and the elder god defeated but not dead. before the final fight, Janos was possessed by a hilden lord intent on domination, the elder god hinted that he had a larger scope of plans that he didn't want Kain and Raziel interfering in, and so tried to trap them both in the citadel.

It's literally the most un-closed ending in gaming history.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILERS WARNING: hmm thats weird. just as Lroy i remember it as a final ending. the elder god was defeated trough raziels sacrifice and kain was left in the world. i havent played it in a long time though, so im not sure.
    the main thing i think is raziels sacrifice though, it completes hes story arc. he goes from trying to resist being controlled and manipulated by everyone to accept his fate and become the tool kain needs to defeat the elder god. the series is about raziel, would be no point in continuing it without him.
    Sure, kain could go on and do stuff, but that would be another blood omen game and not soul reaver.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    SPOILERS WARNING: hmm thats weird. just as Lroy i remember it as a final ending. the elder god was defeated trough raziels sacrifice and kain was left in the world. i havent played it in a long time though, so im not sure.
    the main thing i think is raziels sacrifice though, it completes hes story arc. he goes from trying to resist being controlled and manipulated by everyone to accept his fate and become the tool kain needs to defeat the elder god. the series is about raziel, would be no point in continuing it without him.
    Sure, kain could go on and do stuff, but that would be another blood omen game and not soul reaver.

No...

The Soul Reaver series was about Raziel (and Kain), but the overall story is called "Legacy of Kain". And let's not forget that Soul Reaver was only two games, Defiance wasn't solely about Raziel, and while it's considered to be the end of the Soul Reaver arc, that doesn't inherently make it a Soul Reaver game.

Also, Raziel didn't "accept his fate". he was the only character in the game with free will, he understood that it was entirely his choice whether to be absorbed by the blood reaver, or to continue as a wraith. If he'd continued as a wraith he still would have been a powerful being and a thorn in the side of the Elder god, but he also understood that being Kains "right hand" made him far more powerful.

The Elder god wasn't dead, just momentarily defeated, he ran away after the fight.

Janos isn't dead, he still lives and is currently possessed by a Hilden lord.

Kain is currently trapped at a point in the past, where he can watch everything unfold as it always has. It was hinted at in SR2 that he's seen that moment (the pillars breaking) many times, and the results were always the same, but that Raziel was never present. which is why the game ends with him being "hopeful" of a new outcome...

But we're never able to experience what that outcome could be, and in particular we're never given closure to either the Elder god, Janos, or the Hilden lord. All three of which are now vying for power (i would assume alongside Kain).

There are a lot of questions asked throughout the SR arc that were never answered, and never will be since the writer is now at Naughty Dog.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    That makes me want to go back and play the old games.

Nosgoth is a great setting to bring back. Seeing as this is multiplayer though, I don't see it being too heavy on the story like the rest of the series? Probably shouldn't expect it to continue on from defiance.

Either way, great work guys. Looks like a lot of fun. Gonna be checking it out when its available
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That's probably my biggest issue with this, LRoy.

This game looks like a team pvp game using Nosgoth as a backdrop, rather than Nosgoth and it's rather deep, and rich lore being the driving force for a new game.

It just seems like a waste.

I'm sure this game will be great, it will play well and it will look awesome. But it just isn't Nosgoth to me.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Those graphics though. Mmm
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys want more lore, our site has a blog section where we talk about all the weird vampire stuff we love to know.

http://www.nosgoth.com/blog
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one thing i'd love explained, if it's possible Erich -

Clan Zephonim (named after Zephon) seem to have wings. There's quite a big problem with this... the lesser vampires mutate in accordance to their sire, Zephon would gain a mutation, it would then spread down to his own commanders, and then down to the grunts etc.

Zephon never received wings as a mutation, he turned into more of a spider like brood father/mother. and in the SR series his offspring were very spiderlike.

The other problem is: Kain very publicly and incredibly destructively punished Raziel for evolving wings. I can't imagine Kain would suffer to live any other vampire to evolve in this way if even his highest lieutenant was executed for it.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our Zephonim is the Deceiver. He isn't spider evolved yet like Zephon is (the mutation hasn't occured) but he is still lanky and skinny and grotesque like his future counterpart. Our Sentinels (winged vampires) are clan Razielim. Kain did hate all winged vampires, but this game takes place in between Raziel being thrown into the pit thingy and him awakening. Kain hasn't killed all of the winged vampires yet, so there are still a few hanging around.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ah okay, my mistake. The blog mentioned Zephonim and had a picture of a winged vampire underneath, so i assumed that's what you were going for :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Signed up into the alpha yesterday after watching those videos... got the key today. So excited to give this a try. Looks loads of fun.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome! Cant wait to play it.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    the running and jumping animations remind me a lot of gears of war

pretty cool
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No...

The Soul Reaver series was about Raziel (and Kain), but the overall story is called "Legacy of Kain". And let's not forget that Soul Reaver was only two games, Defiance wasn't solely about Raziel, and while it's considered to be the end of the Soul Reaver arc, that doesn't inherently make it a Soul Reaver game.

Also, Raziel didn't "accept his fate". he was the only character in the game with free will, he understood that it was entirely his choice whether to be absorbed by the blood reaver, or to continue as a wraith. If he'd continued as a wraith he still would have been a powerful being and a thorn in the side of the Elder god, but he also understood that being Kains "right hand" made him far more powerful.

The Elder god wasn't dead, just momentarily defeated, he ran away after the fight.

Janos isn't dead, he still lives and is currently possessed by a Hilden lord.

Kain is currently trapped at a point in the past, where he can watch everything unfold as it always has. It was hinted at in SR2 that he's seen that moment (the pillars breaking) many times, and the results were always the same, but that Raziel was never present. which is why the game ends with him being "hopeful" of a new outcome...

But we're never able to experience what that outcome could be, and in particular we're never given closure to either the Elder god, Janos, or the Hilden lord. All three of which are now vying for power (i would assume alongside Kain).

There are a lot of questions asked throughout the SR arc that were never answered, and never will be since the writer is now at Naughty Dog.

mjaaa... im mean, that the game ends with kain being hopefull is as much closure the series needs. since the soul reaver 1 and 2 both ended very cliffhangary, this is as much of an ending this series ever get.
    there isnt really a need to show us the outcome really. kain is hopefull and raziel is at rest. its like the matrix 1, a good suggestive ending, with no need for sequels. all the unanswered questions only adds to the mystique.
    how would you have pictured the series to continue? for me thats impossible without raziel, and would feel forced as hell.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    I'm sure this has been a constant nitpick but any reason you opted to give the vampires 5-digit hands rather than the 3-digit hands specific to Soul Reaver-era vampires?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These vampires are more fledglings i think... so they haven't evolved to the three fingered ones we know and love. I just sculpt rocks all day, so I may be a little wrong. Haha
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our game is silly.

pounce-10fps-200clrs.gif
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Was totally in a rut last night, incredibly sleepy but not tired, and I just wanted to...engage in battles to ease my brain. Not pew-pew crouching behind cover sort of battles, I said to my wife, the sort of thing where I can kill shit in midair. Then you post this.

Coming soon, I hope? I feel like this will fill a void in my game library that's been there for awhile.