Home Dota 2

Omniknight : Lose that hammer!

Hey Guys,

So what is a knight without his sword? :poly105:
Always bothered me Omniknight was given a hammer, honestly, what knight wields a hammer? Well, now he can be properly equipped and look good doing it =)

Honestly this was just a test run for the process. I had never brought a model into Dota 2 before and wanted to put MayaLT through its paces (im an old max guy). Process was surprisingly painless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any questions on Maya LT and the process itself are welcome...

Replies

• Eden of Chaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, back in Dota on WC3, he did have a sword, he was based off of Arthas and had Frostmourne, but because Abaddon also had it, they changed him to the model when he was using Light's Vengeance, the hammer.

So, there is the story of why Omniknight uses a hammer.
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    I like the idea! I think the materials could use some more work to bring each element out a little more but the idea is great i think. Are you gonna put it onto the workshop? I know it's a test, but might give you a chance to see how the full process is.
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. Yea, I may add it to the workshop. It needs work though before its ready. Still needs a texture pass as you mentioned. I kinda just roughed em in there. I need to get the Dota 2 Shader for Maya LT to make my life easier. Just found out about it and cant wait to see how it works. Will post results. I mean how freakin cool is that, see your results right in your viewport?

@eden Haha, Wow, thats funny. THanks for the back story. Makes my title for the sword even better. "The Lost Sword of the Omniscience" Cool? Fitting even?
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty fan of alternative weapons, but how are the animations working? are you doing custom animations? If I recall omni holds his hammer with 2 hands in a long grip.

Edit: Avoid making a thread for every item made, post all your items in a single/personal thread or in the Workshop Thread.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    The sord looks like somthing ripped out of the other game, not the asset makde for D2. You may want to revise the texturework to better fit with the overall theme.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    The sord looks like somthing ripped out of the other game, not the asset makde for D2. You may want to revise the texturework to better fit with the overall theme.

Agreed, it's a well made asset, but it does not fit Dota style, and is this sword HAL powered?
    HAL-9000.jpg
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Magno : Actually, I simply scaled up the model till his hand is hidden behind the sword. I also tilted the sword slightly to ensure he held it ok. Just little tweaks till it fit. Animations look great, its only the idles where every once in a while one of his fingers pops through. If you have any resources on how to manipulate the main animations, id love to hear it, but for now, its passable. Especially for a sword i dont actually plan to release. I am a Medusa Player so honestly, my first real asset will likely be for her.

@vlad : I have not finalized textures. These are very rough, though omniknight, of all the heros, feels less "cartoony" than others and in my opinion the swords more "real" look is ok. That said, I will be trying to get a more drawn feel out of it on my next pass. (hopefully today if my schedule allows it). As I mentioned I am looking forward to using the Dta Specific shader for Shader FX in Maya LT before i do any finalizing. Trying to texture, recompile, export, import just to see results is a royal PITA. Having my results post in MayaLT will be the cats meow.

@kite212 You found me out. I am pretty sure that exact image is the background image for the glowing orb in the center that I used as my placeholder.

To all: This is really just a case study for me. It may end up on the dota store but, I was far more interested in seeing just how complete a toolset Maya LT is for doing assets for off the shelf games that allow modding/workshop type stuff. Needless to say, im ratherr pleased with the results. I just recently started using MayaLT not 2 months ago (around Christmas). It was easy to learn that's for sure, the transfer results are good (I really like turtle) and the uv mapping tools were very easy to use. So for me, my test will be successful once I get the Shader FX doing what I want as it really is the last big step.
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, got the shader fx thing going. Was pretty easy really.

Now just to fix my god awful textures. Dunno about you guys, but the way the dota maps are optimized makes my head hurt. :poly115: Im just so used to having separated maps (diffuse, spec, normal, glow etc). At least now i can see the results of changes quickly.