Offline / Send Message
pixelghost polycounter lvl 5

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    1. Duplicate mesh
    2. Remesh to desired polycount (or do it by hand)
    3. Select remeshed object and click on eye on high poly model
    4. "Project All" in ZBrush, subdivide low poly model, repeat, repeat, until all definition is back
    5. zPlugin, Uv Master, create UVs
    6. EXPORT YO MAPS!!
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I don't normally use that workflow, but sometimes when I do I get little white spots all over the new mesh, any ideas?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx

^ use xnormal to bake lowpoly mesh texture.
    zbrush hi-polypaint IS actually vertex color

you must turn off ignore vertex color in hipoly mesh setting
    HynsZnI.png
    then choose bake hipoly vertex color

oEHZTnj.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question concerning the lowest sub division vs the in game model. In order to transfer the polypaint you export the lowest sub to unwrap it, then reimport it back to zbrush and bring it back to the highest sub div level. However, as i see it this is assuming the lowest sub div level will be the in game model. Most of the time the lowest sub div level just wont be optimized enough.. So does it not matter that the hp's uvs dont match the retopologized model's or am I missing something?

ANSWER FOUND

Instead of messing with all that exporting just set the model to the lowest sub d level, and apply one of the quick uv options under the texture options. Then you can export it and bake the game ready mesh and this high res. I was thinking the uvs for the hp and lp needed to match for the polypaint to transfer. As it turns out that doesn't matter. Here's a good video breaking down the process
    http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe
  • pixelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pixelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pixelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Chase wrote: »

ANSWER FOUND

Instead of messing with all that exporting just set the model to the lowest sub d level, and apply one of the quick uv options under the texture options. Then you can export it and bake the game ready mesh and this high res. I was thinking the uvs for the hp and lp needed to match for the polypaint to transfer. As it turns out that doesn't matter. Here's a good video breaking down the process
    http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe

the video is kinda outdated since its posted in 2009, back then zbrush tools was limited.
    you can get clean rig ready low poly mesh with completely different geometry from the hi res.

all you need to do is duplicate the hi res ( merge it if you want to bake group of subtool)

1. use dynamesh ( with proper resolution), keep it reasonable numbers, as long as it keep the silhouette you good to go , you can use this tool to merge several subtool into one mesh
    2. use zremesher. to get nice topology ( you can adjust the target polycount
    - as for UV go to zplugin tab -> uv master -> unwrap to unwrap the low poly mesh.

now go to xnormal
    you dont need to unwrap your hipoly mesh at all.

just use bake vertex color in xnormal
    xvampire wrote: »
    http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx

^ use xnormal to bake lowpoly mesh texture.
    zbrush hi-polypaint IS actually vertex color

you must turn off ignore vertex color in hipoly mesh setting
    HynsZnI.png
    then choose bake hipoly vertex color

oEHZTnj.png

also you dont need to reconstruct subdivision but if you insist too have low and high subdivision slider : ,
    follow 1st and 2nd step. subdivide it to certain level , and do project all. ( make sure with rgb on )
    4Fx0hmn.png

I will do little video if you still not too clear .

I also figured out and noticed, that when i did use dynamesh again, the poly paint on my model got a lot darker. I was curious as to why this happend. then i realized that i was also painting in Mrgb and not just RGB.
    also make sure you do unmask by dragging retangle on empty space. dynamesh can sometimes create some masking on your mesh after processing it.
  • pixelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • robert.B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.B polycounter lvl 11
    I just ran into a similar problem and the only thing that worked for me was re-importing the mesh and making sure that i didn't convert it into a poly mesh 3D.

I found that all the " create from poly paint" options were open again.
  • Cross22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelghost: Just so you know, you are not alone! I have just run through the same process of learning the awkward high->low poly workflow including the Dynamesh trap. What's worse is, even if you fix the triangle error there is a good chance it will then simply say "could not reconstruct subdiv".
    robert.B wrote: »
    I just ran into a similar problem and the only thing that worked for me was re-importing the mesh and making sure that i didn't convert it into a poly mesh 3D.

I found that all the " create from poly paint" options were open again.

These options are greyed out when the model (okay, "Tool") does not have a UV mapping applied to it.