Home General Discussion

How to learn 3D art / University worth it?

I am 15 years old and will be going off to collage in about 12 months (gifted so i am finishing highschool 3 years early). For the past few years i liked to play with 3D art but now i want to get serious about it and go for it as a career, mainly game art.

I have read really bad things about Game "Collages" and was wonder if they where true. I have no real background in any type of art but am taking collage courses in 2D traditional art now to improve my skills in drawing.

Taking all these things in to account, how should someone with 0 artistic talent and no exp in the field learn 3D art (for games). And is going to any university worth it?

Replies

• redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Well, there is a stickied thread in this very forum with a bunch of stuff about that. Lots of advice and resources there: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108342

Although I'm currently making environment art for monies, I'm still aspiring to work at my dream studio so I dunno that I'm a guy to hand out advice.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it's right for you and the work is fun, dude. No other way to live imo.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    drawing and taking 3D courses is the fastest way to grow. 0.1% is talent, rest is work. and yes most colleges for 3D are bad, if you are going to college, go for traditional art, BEST option really.

yes, going to university is worth it because of visas later on if you wanna work somewhere else. but if i were you i'd be buying courses and drawing.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    If you go for free since you say it's gifted I would go and get some traditional art classes out of the way, take up a major you like and work on your art too. I would check out the second sticky thread in the General Discussion to get others insights on game colleges (I personally didn't go to one). Go to school until you get an offer you can't refuse. If you say you have 0% artistic talent you'll get some from just watching tutorials and checking out polycount. There are a ton of free content you can take advantage of. During study halls/breaks watch tutorials, when you are done with HW, etc model and do some art. Balance out school and art, that's what I did until I got a job offer.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    First check out this stickied thread and report back: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108342

Now, bottom line:

Most game art education out there, at least right now, is either crap or a scam. A good portion of people will tell you that if you're really focused on getting an art-related degree because you want to make art for video games, then you should go for a fine art degree (usually illustration) and leverage that education to learn 3D on the side.

If you decide not to get a degree, it's entirely possible to get a job in the game industry, but you need to work your ass off to compete with your peers -- many of whom have had formal education.

Whatever path you decide to take, you are going to need to work HARD. You get out of it what you put in, and that includes formal education or self education; if you work hard, you'll get good things out of it, and vice versa.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    For self-learners, are there any good resources for what needs to be learned? A check-list if you will?

I suffer daily at a desk doing a job I hate and want nothing more than to focus on picking up the skills I need to get out and do what I love (I can figure out the money later).

I tried to go to a CC but I got tired of the bullshit of just trying to register for a course.

What are the minimums? what should you strive to learn? What's it take to start landing freelance work or an entry level job? Are there entry level or intern level jobs you can pick up? or distance work?

I have a previous education in IT related field so I have knowledge in coding and such, but my traditional art background is lacking (I'm reading and practicing my 2d drawing and form now).
  • Aquas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any good resources for learning 3D online? For a beginner? I have decided im never going to UNI for game art.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Aquas wrote: »
    Are there any good resources for learning 3D online? For a beginner? I have decided im never going to UNI for game art.

Tons upon tons.

Paid resources like digital tutors and 3dtotal is good, youtube, tons of tutorials, from basics to ones that will guide you through a project, google everything you don't know about and a video will almost always pop up or a thread to forums such as these, the polycount wiki is a invaluable resource as well.

I am one of those that would of loved to go to uni for cg, just to have that freedom of study and connecting with others but unfortunately i was too poor and didn't have any grades in anything....
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing you are probably not considering is the networking opportunities you get while at uni. you'll meet tons of like minded individuals and who knows, maybe youll start something together. im guessing your financial situation is no problem, so why not take advantage of it? assuming you get into a good uni, i dont really see any detrimental side effects, only gains.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    The best way to learn is in a cool studio with a good team. The academic field is different from what actually happens in production, so I'd say self-learning until you can land a job as a junior artist is an ok way to go.

You also need to invest in non-paying projects at first, look for indie games, make teams and try to have shipped titles by the time your portfolio is solid and you apply somewhere. You'll have a ton of experience that actually pays off when you get a first job and you're accustomed to working at another level.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Going to school will give you connections. You will gain friends in the same field. When your friends get hired, they'll recommend you (if you're good ;) ) You have a higher chance of getting hired through word of mouth than just being some random guy.

If you're gifted though, I would probably just self train and become a part of groups like the Facebook Lunchcrunch group or here.

If I were to recommend school for you, I think traditional art school is the way to go. Learn anatomy, composition, etc.