Home General Discussion

Marmoset Toolbag Tutorials, Latest: Getting Started with Toolbag 2

Hello rare and fine people of the internet,

I have written a quick start guide to accompany the release of Marmoset Toolbag 2.

LATEST: Getting Started with Toolbag 2

Previous tutorials that I've written:
Skin Shader Tutorial
Portrait Lighting
Lighting Methods
Displacement Mapping
Material Creation

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I never really realized that the skin shader was that complex. Looks awesome! Great tutorial, as always. Easy to follow along. I like how you actually show what the settings do. Too many tutorials are just "Do this, do that", and by the end, you don't really learn what any of the settings do. That is not the case with yours.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    I never really realized that the skin shader was that complex. Looks awesome! Great tutorial, as always. Easy to follow along. I like how you actually show what the settings do. Too many tutorials are just "Do this, do that", and by the end, you don't really learn what any of the settings do. That is not the case with yours.

Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff in there that we never got a chance to document, so I'm really excited to get this tutorial finished and get it out there.

I'm really glad you like the presentation, my goal was to provide a good mix between traditional text tutorials, but also show visually what settings to like you would see with a video tutorial, and more importantly provide a quick reference when you want to look at something again.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the tutorial. i been playing around with toolbag recently with some personal project.

anyways, how do you get such sharp shadows ?

that seems to be one thing i cant get sharp enough no matter what size model i test with.

are these all dynamic lights shadows ?

*edit*

nevermind, just noticed the lighting tutorial and as i suspected the shadows are in fact from dynamic lights.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    excellent thanks EQ...I have been playing with the skin shader a lot recently...hadn't realised that you could put a depth map in the alpha of the translucence...great stuff
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Oh yes..... Fantastic man!! Next personal piece, I'm planning on a cinematic (realtime) girl head / hairstyle - going to be needing every ounce of info here. Thanks for doing this man, will help me out a tonne!!
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Cheers for the tutorial Earthquake! Will deff be making use of this in the near future :D
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Thanks a ton, this is just what I have been waiting for.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM: Yeah, I'm using dynamic lights. I generally use a mix of IBL and dynamic lights, using the IBL to control ambient lighting and dynamic for the extra control.

seth.: Yeah, the translucency mask is really cool, perfect for ears, wax, etc.

Haz: DO WANT.

ILLMATICC, Brandon: Thanks guys, glad to hear that its useful.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome man! thanks for sharing!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    nice, i will be teaching a gnomon class and i plan on using marmoset to show them how to get stuff in game, this is great info.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    is it possible , may be in next toolbag version to have the dermis and subdermis colors use texture slots option instead of flat colors ?

this would really open up more possibilities for the sss shader. right now if i want to have a different translucency color within same material it seems to be impossible.

if there is a workaround to that please let me know.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    is it possible , may be in next toolbag version to have the dermis and subdermis colors use texture slots option instead of flat colors ?

this would really open up more possibilities for the sss shader. right now if i want to have a different translucency color within same material it seems to be impossible.

if there is a workaround to that please let me know.

You can add color variation to the dermis color with the skin tone texture, and color variation to the translucency effect with the translucent texture. There isn't any way to add color variation via texture map to the sub-dermis though, perhaps something we can look into for TB2.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    ok, i think i got it working better by setting subdermis color to pure white.
    now both dermis and scatter colors are matching closer to the skin tone map.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i think i got it working better by setting subdermis color to pure white.
    now both dermis and scatter colors are matching closer to the skin tone map.

Oh yeah, if you're putting skin tone variation in the skin tone map, you should set the dermis color white, otherwise you'll be tinting it twice (with the texture content and the color picker value).
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    yes i got that, but i was talking about the subdermis color mainly in this case which seems to be the main scattering color for the sss shader.

i was testing this on an asset with multi-color(green, orange, cyan, red) plastic surfaces so the subdermis color needs to be different on each area.

dermis color has been white all the time while the subdermis color was green. this seems to have multiplied green with all the other colors in the skin tone map.

only work around i found is using white on both dermis and subdermis and then just using skin tone and translucency maps on top of that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i got that, but i was talking about the subdermis color mainly in this case which seems to be the main scattering color for the sss shader.

i was testing this on an asset with multi-color(green, orange, cyan, red) plastic surfaces so the subdermis color needs to be different on each area.

dermis color has been white all the time while the subdermis color was green. this seems to have multiplied green with all the other colors in the skin tone map.

only work around i found is using white on both dermis and subdermis and then just using skin tone and translucency maps on top of that.

Ah ok, if you can easily separate the various colors into their own mesh chunks and apply a different material that would probably work best.
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Total newbie question for Translucency Map: How do you make them for characters? Is it a Grayscale Diffuse Map with Multiplied AO? I'm gonna try it on a character I'm freelancing on.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just paint them manually? Ears and nose, maybe fingers, just take into consideration thickness.

Also, if are you using Max 2010+ or Max 2008/09 with Polyboost, you have access to baking a Subsurface and Density map, two good places to start.

Inverted AO Map bake is another way, it's the same way Max bakes, but other applications like Maya, XSI, Blender and XN don't automatically do it, so you need to set it up manually.
  • gunawanzx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for his tutorial, that makes
    the hair on the marmosets as where
    her way
  • EarthQuake
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    VeeJayZee wrote: »
    Total newbie question for Translucency Map: How do you make them for characters? Is it a Grayscale Diffuse Map with Multiplied AO? I'm gonna try it on a character I'm freelancing on.

u can bake them in knald too.
  • j3st3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j3st3r polycounter lvl 9
  • Brashen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brashen polycounter lvl 9
    A question if I may.

Would I be able to run a whole animation with this?
  • Aleksey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, this looks amazing. But it says it doesnt support rigged models. can anyone maybe suggest something that supports alembic or fbx exports?

this real time game like rendering could really work well for my workflow.
  • agitat3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitat3d polycounter lvl 7
    Does anyone know if MTB 2.0 supports blended materials i.e. Cracked concrete overlaying un-cracked concrete. This would be blended using vertex coloring to determine which is visible on what parts of the model?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brashen wrote: »
    A question if I may.

Would I be able to run a whole animation with this?

Not at this time, animation support is something we plan on adding at a later date.
    agitat3d wrote: »
    Does anyone know if MTB 2.0 supports blended materials i.e. Cracked concrete overlaying un-cracked concrete. This would be blended using vertex coloring to determine which is visible on what parts of the model?

Not currently, layering will be added in an update some time in the future as well.

We've got a big thread over in tech talk dedicated to TB2 as well: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128766
  • agitat3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitat3d polycounter lvl 7
    Earthquake,

Thanks for the quick reply. Keep up the good work.
  • Brashen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brashen polycounter lvl 9
    Alright thank you for the reply