Home General Discussion

Why do you enjoy particular style? (fantasy, sci-fi, others)

unit187
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
unit187 polycounter lvl 9
Hey, I am being curious about it for some time, so I think I would ask here.

So, there are many things you can create in 3d or just paint. Besides rare exceptions, you can notice that different people gravitate towards different settings (or styles, maybe). Some people do most of their work in fantasy setting (I am this kind of person). Others do mostly sci-fi. Someone else prefer modern age.

Why do I ask this? I am very interested in why do you like this particular style you work in. What inspires you to spend hundres and thousands of hours on this? Why does it fascinate you? For example, I find creating AK-47 completely boring and would never ever agree to make weapons like this. But at the same time there are people who really enjoy this sort of work and think about what I do as boring job.

So, why do you love Your setting (style)?

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I've always been a fan of fantasy stuff since I was a kid, so most anything that has that style really resonates with me. It's one of the reasons I really love MMOs as they create these entire worlds you can just lose yourself in. WoW, WAR, Final Fantasy 14, Wildstar, I could go on and on. Amusingly enough my career is for making military sims, so I do all my hard edge military stuff at work and then at home I typically like to unwind by practicing hand painted stuff or fantasy sculpts.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I love modeling from real-life sources purely because of how much reference you can draw from it. It's always good to find inspiration from around the web. Sci-fi is fun, too. Something about imagining what the future will be like, or how it could be, really gets me.

I find myself quite different from you, I'd love to model another AK-47 just to see how closely I could match its real-life counterpart, or how detailed I could get with it. In a turn of events, much like praetus, I enjoy working on military stuff but am currently working on a completely different type of game!

Personally I think it's a good idea to dip your toe in all genres at least once, just in case you find that you really enjoy it!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Sci fi for like a thousand reasons, I am a tech nerd, loved star wars as a kid one of the most in depth tutorials which got me into 3ds max was modeling some warhammer vehicle, but then I love historical stuff or dark fantasy, I used to dislike high fantasy but then I went through some weird phase where I enjoyed modeling lots of goblins of various types and styles.

so sci fi remains consistent for me but all styles have their merit, don't write anything off cause the passion can hit you.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Fantasy because of the common materials and settings.. It's also not extremely clean like most sci-fi. I can imagine more scenarios and draw greater passion from Fantasy as well as opposed to sci-fi which is leaned towards energy and explosions. I suppose I like the FX side of the theme as well after typing that. Both are cool! Modern military stuff is a little of a turn off for me.. like recreating guns.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Sci fi for like a thousand reasons, I am a tech nerd, loved star wars as a kid one of the most in depth tutorials which got me into 3ds max was modeling some warhammer vehicle, but then I love historical stuff or dark fantasy, I used to dislike high fantasy but then I went through some weird phase where I enjoyed modeling lots of goblins of various types and styles.

so sci fi remains consistent for me but all styles have their merit, don't write anything off cause the passion can hit you.

pretty much this, except; I started learning how to model in Maya, influenced by other artists and storylines made me a fan of fantasy, I loved si-fi and comics since I was a kid, me as tech savvy found style of games like Dota more appealing because it was modded and it was fantasy with the simple goal back in the days.

altho my software engineer and tech savvy side of things has very little to do with loving si-fi, but the idea of how things will be in the future, how things would turn out if we were all clones and the entire population was spreaded through out the universe, living on different planets makes it worth being a fan of.

yes yes I know, someone here once told me that those are the wrong reasons for me to like such styles but hay, profound knowledge and the background of such genres inspire me more then anything.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    I've always been a fan of fantasy stuff since I was a kid, so most anything that has that style really resonates with me. It's one of the reasons I really love MMOs as they create these entire worlds you can just lose yourself in. WoW, WAR, Final Fantasy 14, Wildstar, I could go on and on. Amusingly enough my career is for making military sims, so I do all my hard edge military stuff at work and then at home I typically like to unwind by practicing hand painted stuff or fantasy sculpts.

It is actually quite interesting - I've read all the answers and it looks like our childhood had huge influence on what we like as adults. Of course, it is not surprise, but still. I too grew up on Tolkien, Warcraft and WoW and othes, and it is dominant theme in my work - I tend to like stylized fantasy.
    Stirls wrote: »
    I find myself quite different from you, I'd love to model another AK-47 just to see how closely I could match its real-life counterpart, or how detailed I could get with it.
    Oh, "fun" is quite different for everyone :) What else attracts you to modern military stuff?
    Personally I think it's a good idea to dip your toe in all genres at least once, just in case you find that you really enjoy it!
    Very good point. Exploration and curiousity! Does anybody have a story where they actually liked that style they thought would be boring? :)
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    altho my software engineer and tech savvy side of things has very little to do with loving si-fi, but the idea of how things will be in the future, how things would turn out if we were all clones and the entire population was spreaded through out the universe, living on different planets makes it worth being a fan of.
    Aight, I feel the same. While fantasy is my love and I don't really do sci-fi, but the mysteries of the Universe are so awesome. It is fascinating to think about things in cosmic scale, about other habitable planets, spaceships, other races and cultures. Fantasy is just a fantasy, but sci-fi has some flavour of reality, because in fact in thousands of years our civilization will probably find ways for interstellar travel.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Well growing up I never really liked the woodland games, they always seemed rather restricted, more so I felt as though everything that I thought looked cool in those games were apparently evil for some reason.

I am not sure what one would call what I like, things to my liking seem to be more or less like the rpgs and platformers of yore. Perhaps "cartoony fantasy", "fantastic fantasy"; worlds where anything can happen, there are many different worlds with viarant levels of technology, and where folks have many interesting special attacks or things of that nature.
    Examples of such would be
    Earthworm Jim
    Ristar
    Dynamite Heady
    Makai Kingdom
    M & L RPG
    Paper Mario
    General Kirby Series

Things of that nature you know?
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, "fun" is quite different for everyone :) What else attracts you to modern military stuff?
    I used to play a lot of shooters as a kid. There's something so.. interesting about the military that piques my curiosity. I think it's the way they're portrayed in modern society, about being valiant and brave..

..when in reality 50% of them are probably doing aimless non-combat jobs around their base ;)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I like fantasy, because if I want realism I can just look trough window. View is not particularly interesting.

Although to make thing muddier, I prefer realistic fantasy. In terms of how environment and characters look. But with epic magic feeling to it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    praetus wrote: »
    WoW, WAR, Final Fantasy 14, Wildstar, I could go on and on.

Oh man, WAR! What a great MMO, awesome memories. Shame about closing down....I thought Vigil were working on a 40K game (which I believe was to be the new 40k MMO) before they closed down, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone will pick up the Warhammer license again in the future :)
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls wrote: »
    I used to play a lot of shooters as a kid. There's something so.. interesting about the military that piques my curiosity. I think it's the way they're portrayed in modern society, about being valiant and brave..

..when in reality 50% of them are probably doing aimless non-combat jobs around their base ;)
    When I think of military games, I always end up thinking about how they are team oriented. Fantasy is often about some epic hero who solo kills everybody, but in military games we rarely have a hero with superpowers, so we end up with a squad who does the job together.

Reality is always dimmer than imaginary worlds :( Thats why we love them, hehe. It might be fun to think about what your hero was doing before his or her epic adventure. Probably, planting seeds at his farm like Bilbo ^^
    Torch wrote: »
    Oh man, WAR! What a great MMO, awesome memories. Shame about closing down....I thought Vigil were working on a 40K game (which I believe was to be the new 40k MMO) before they closed down, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone will pick up the Warhammer license again in the future :)
    Oh, did the close Warhammer MMO? What a shame, it was pretty good game. But guess they were doomed because they were too similar to WoW which is quite hard to compete with.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, i always liked scifi genre the most, since i always had a feeling that you pretty much can do anything you want. Fantasy, steampunk, etc, sort of have pre-defined things that it has to have in order to count as one (i rarely see fantasy setting without orcs, mages, elves, dragons and what not)...but scifi....do whatever the hell you want. Heck, as long as you can make some sort of explanation, you can even have any other genre, including fantasy, in it, so to speak, and it will still work.

So yeah, scifi for sure....but, i'm also crazy about anything space related too. :P
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    unit187 wrote: »
    Oh, did the close Warhammer MMO? What a shame, it was pretty good game. But guess they were doomed because they were too similar to WoW which is quite hard to compete with.

Yeah, it just closed down back in December. From what I understand their license ran out and they couldn't come to an agreement with Games Workshop.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Zocky wrote: »
    Well, i always liked scifi genre the most, since i always had a feeling that you pretty much can do anything you want. Fantasy, steampunk, etc, sort of have pre-defined things that it has to have in order to count as one (i rarely see fantasy setting without orcs, mages, elves, dragons and what not)...but scifi....do whatever the hell you want. Heck, as long as you can make some sort of explanation, you can even have any other genre, including fantasy, in it, so to speak, and it will still work.

So yeah, scifi for sure....but, i'm also crazy about anything space related too. :P

sounds biased, fantasy can be just as crazy do anything as sci fi. It's like saying sci fi is only about spaceships and aliens. I burnt out on series fiction a long time ago, which tend to be the more generic orcs & elves or spaceships and aliens. When you read authors that are confident enough to explore a theme in one book you get more original ideas.