Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Indecom: Making stuff

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Indecom polycounter lvl 16
Hey guys, Indecom here, inviting you to look at random stuff I'm working on. I'd like to start off by reintroducing myself to the community. It's been a little while since I've been active. There have been many changes in my life recently, and not all for the better. I've lost my job at the scrapyard I was working in with my family, moved across state to a new town where work is harder to find than a thousand dollar bill. In the midst of my current unemployment, however, I've found time to develop games and artwork, hopefully as a means to an end of my lack of income. I'm freelancing art, as well as programming and I'll basically be posting images of models and game related arts here, looking for feedback, ways to improve and so on.

This first item is part of a modular dungeon environment. I'm creating this in Blender, Zbrush, Xnormal, and Photoshop/Gimp. This was all done with just a mouse as I'm currently in need of a tablet.

1a52bbbec7798a8a63dacb218528119d.png

0d287818ffd5d2f3b90dd4269d6dd0ca.png

As you can probably guess, I'm relying pretty heavily on alphas to achieve the detail that I desire. This model will be baked onto a lower poly mesh with all required texture maps.

I'll be posting more when I've more goodies to show off.

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Indecom wrote: »
    0d287818ffd5d2f3b90dd4269d6dd0ca.png

As you can probably guess, I'm relying pretty heavily on alphas to achieve the detail that I desire. This model will be baked onto a lower poly mesh with all required texture maps.

Since you have alphas and can't/won't push models to higher detail, wouldn't it be better to use Photoshop to create height maps and "convert" them to whatever map you need?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could do that, but I also need to model the details out of this onto my target model, such as the bricks poking out at the bottom and the cracks at the top, and it makes it much easier on me to build a low poly from this high poly rather than trying to just build the details out in blender based on my texture input. Plus zbrush is more fun to do this in than photoshop lol.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    I wasn't saying you should delete this, or not use it at all. I was just judging by the polycount of that model, that you would achieve much more detailed look with photoshop, than by baking this.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey it's cool man. Really I'm still learning how best to do these kinds of things. It's easier for me to visualize the end product while I'm working in 3D. I've moved on from this mesh to the tileable stone wall backdrop that it will be placed against. It's nothing to really write home about at the moment, just a brick pattern. I'm going to be working on the retopology of both meshes today before moving on to work on the top section.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've increased the interesting factor a bit on my ancient stone wall, what do you guys think?

4a6bcf703099e00a740ea181cf1f9352.png
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Wall is nice, I like the subtle shifts in the bricks and some that pop out, cracks are nice too. Go higher res on the wall, I can see some jagged edges though. What's the color of the wall? Is it that green yellow?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some of those jagged edges you're seeing are from the low resolution nature of my view screen without any AA. The color is just the hulk matcap from the pixologic download center.

Thanks for the positive feedbacks though. I'm in the proccess of baking the low res mesh right now, so hopefully it all goes smoothly :P
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's a quick Marmoset render of the two wall sections put together as they will be in the final product, baked down to their low poly in game meshes. That back wall may yet be redone. There are no diffuse textures in place right now, I'm just using the heightmaps to add some tone variation until i have the diffuse made:

screenshot000.png
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got some feedback from my employer to tweak the brick wall some. So here's the update on the high resolution mesh:

fe0d649bc1a510e3deb00fb08ce642dd.png

and I also decided to tweak the hd mesh for the bottom:

6f29d5d5be4a3199e65e41c78dba9466.png

the lack of detail on the left and right sides of this particular mesh are by design, as i'm only sampling from the middle chunk where all the detail is.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's a quick update showing off the texture progress, I have some uv smearing to fix but that shouldnt be too much trouble.

screenshot000%20%282%29.png
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    It looks nice but the bottom and top piece not being seamless looks odd.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, i'm going to be adding some occlusion into the textures to make them blend together better.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm more than open to any more crits, or suggestions or whatnot. :)