Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wizard Vira D'Mentis

Anastasia_M
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Anastasia_M polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone!
My name is Anastasia and today I finally decided to start posting and showing my works :) I'm a bit nervous, cus I know I do a lot of mistakes now, but anyway I hope to improve my skills. Now I'm working on characters creation, but also want to make environment, props etc.
So this is actually my first fully made character - I learned how to make UV and Textures on it. So please don't be very "cruel":) in your critique. We worked together with this nice girl . So she draw a concept, then I made a 3d model.
Hope you will like it! :)
nog8oruh7wew.jpg

Replies

• JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Welcome to Polycount, I'm no character artist and I'm sure the experts will have plenty to say but I think it looks really good! Plenty of character, nice pose and the texturing/UV's look good aswell, nice one :D
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    It might be just me, but her head looks big, her legs quite short and her feet also somehow small.
  • Anastasia_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G you might be right I guess, so then she is a dwarf-wizard :) Thank you, next time I will check all the measurements several times T____T
    JustGarry thank you! glad that you like it!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, great first try.
    As others have said, the piece exudes character.
    The one thing I would say about the model, are her upper arms.
    It's like someone took a bite off of her.
    I guess you wanted to show that the fabric drapes over the arm, but if you still can, I'd even that area out and re-introduce some musculature to her upper arm.

Something else, for future presentations; when posting wires, it makes it easier for people to critique and comment on if they are not triangulated.
    Having said that, you model looks really clean :)

Cheers
  • Anastasia_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 Thank you very much for such detailed comment!

"if they are not triangulated" - I don't like this triangulated look, but I used Maya's function "Clean up" to find any mistakes. Unfortunately I decided to use this modified topology :( May be it is possible to get pretty squares back, but I don't know how T_T

"model looks really clean" - thank you!

And just for fun I made a magic wand (staff) today

0rfpqmqfo639.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    You can set your cleanup tool to not do anything to your geometry while still highlighting possible errors.
    By setting 'Cleanup effect' to 'Select matching polygons' it will choose the faces that fall into the parameters you defined and just show you where they are :)

I like the stone in the staff, nice choice of colors and emmissive lighting.
    You should display them in a game engine :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I really like her tops. The shirt and the sleeves look pretty good. The shape of her arms looks a little off. Her legs seem to short, compared to her body and her arms. Not sold on her pants. They don't look as nice as her shirt. Her torso also seems a bit beefed up to me.