Home General Discussion

New job and old obligations?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys I could really use some advice :)

I landed a new job, hooray! It's my entry-level dream job. It's an MMO studio that is on the larger side. They've been around the block a few times. (I mention this to give you a better understanding of the situation). I'll be coming on as a junior artist and they've let me know that for the first few weeks I'll just be doing minor things and helping out to get comfortable.

In the interview I was asked if I had any outstanding obligations or plans to attend conferences. Well, I do. GDC. It's really important to me to go, but I know (and I've made it clear to them) that the job would take priority. I have a couple of weeks before I can broach the situation, but I don't know what to do really.

Obviously, a new hire/junior artist at this size of company isn't going to be sorely missed for a week, but I don't want it to reflect poorly on me that after a month of working I'm taking off an entire week. However, they've *said* that they encourage employees to attend conferences.

It has little to do with money/conference ticket/plane fare/hotels and more to do with being professional and reliable. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Well, if its something you mentioned in the interview and they know about it, go for it.

If its going to be a surprise to them, I would probably skip it and go next year.
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    No, they know, we talked about it pretty in depth during the interview. I explained that I was already planning on attending and why. I can see how my first post was ambiguous.

So they are aware and did tell me that they encourage employees to attend conferences. They might not mind that I take off a week, I just don't want it to look like I'm not taking the job seriously.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    but the fact you are intending on attending a conference shows that you take your job more seriously than perhaps some of your colleagues? you are taking your own time (i assume you are taking allocated holiday) to further your skills.
    if you were flying off for a holiday then it would make sense to be concerned, but GDC is relevant to the job. I wouldnt worry about it, just make sure that they know well in advance and that you do not have any looming deadlines to do for that week. I'd imagine during your first month you wont be asked to complete any major work.
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks Kitty, I hadn't even thought of it that way!
  • EarthQuake
    Yes, A. its a game industry conference, its not like you're taking a trip to the Bahamas. B. you let them know before you were hired that you had this planned, this is why they asked you about it in the first place. This is pretty common, even if it was a trip to the Bahamas, if it was something you had been planing for a long time that should be fine too.

Go for it.

If you still feel bad about it, take time while at the GDC to research things that you feel are relevant to the company, and present it when you get back.
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both. I think this will definitely help me justify going. :)
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    hmm_rock wrote: »
    Thank you both. I think this will definitely help me justify going. :)

What studio are you at now :D?
  • slipsius
    Studios only ask you that question so they can plan for it, and expect it. If they asked you in the interview, you told them, and they still hired you, they won't hold it against you in any way. Especially since it's a conference that furthers your career.

Relax, breath and go to GDC.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    slipsius wrote: »
    Studios only ask you that question so they can plan for it, and expect it. If they asked you in the interview, you told them, and they still hired you, they won't hold it against you in any way. Especially since it's a conference that furthers your career.

Relax, breath and go to GDC.

I agree, it should be fine and it should be a really nice experience, maybe even a great learning experience :)
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    relax, not much of a biggie, i myself would avoid it though and head straight in to the new job with a hint that you are very keen on the conference, but rather stop there and be done with it.