Home General Discussion

How does the industry works?

Hi Guys.

How does the industry works in a real world I mean can I work in a company just as a modeler like modelling just hard surfaces, and not doing any texturing, I love modelling, I like animation but texturing uv creation or painting is not my strongest point.
Could I be hire just to do some modeling??

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think it used to be more common before where people were hired primarily for modeller roles, now it seems like its important for the artist to know both modeling and texturing pretty well. Sorry to say, you just gotta bite the bullet and stick at improving with textures!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Get better at textures. I can't imagine any positions I've been looking for that strictly allow people to only model.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    ^ Very much what these guys said. If you want to apply as a 3d artist, you'll usually get an art test that requires you to make a game res model with UVs and textures.
  • aferalva6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well looks like I have to practice my texturing more. Just I'm not good with painting
  • acitone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the game res aspect, I understand texture limits for games stop at around 1024x1024. What about models? How do I know it isn't too dense or too low? I tend to think "If I can remove this edge without losing definition, it's unnecessary", but a more finite approach'd be better, like how many polys should a character, box, or floor have. Do the art tests usually give you a poly limit? If so, that's good.

How is the scene regarding online work? I live in Ghana unfortunately and animation jobs here are none. Being able to get gigs over the Internet and send in to the employer or client when complete'd be perfect for me.
  • acitone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry dbl post.
  • aferalva6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.drawmixpaint.com/
    http://ctrlpaint.com/
    http://enliighten.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

There's no shortage of great information out there to get you going in the right direction.

Thank you very much for the links really useful.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    acitone wrote: »
    About the game res aspect, I understand texture limits for games stop at around 1024x1024. What about models? How do I know it isn't too dense or too low? I tend to think "If I can remove this edge without losing definition, it's unnecessary", but a more finite approach'd be better, like how many polys should a character, box, or floor have. Do the art tests usually give you a poly limit? If so, that's good.

How is the scene regarding online work? I live in Ghana unfortunately and animation jobs here are none. Being able to get gigs over the Internet and send in to the employer or client when complete'd be perfect for me.

1024x1024 is no longer the largest you'll see in games. The Xbox 360 had 512mb of ram, and most textures were around 512x512 or smaller. Now consoles have 8 gigs of ram, so 2048x2048, or multiple 1024x1024 textures for a model is possible. 40k tris for characters in "next gen" games seems to be common.

Art tests normally have poly and texture limits.
  • g0ll4m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think in the near future, 3d artists will evolve into 3d Generalists.

The technology side of things will allow every 3d artist any tool he needs to produce high end visuals at his fingertips.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    What about concepting ideas? Im working on a game that's coming out in the near future that's specifically sci fi but we don't have any concept artists. I've been coming up with ideas, trying to at least, and I'm no means any good at concepting. Google can only get you so far. My point being is it all just based on the size of the company to determine whether or not you're tasked with coming up with the ideas and modeling it. Im of the mindset that I need a concept for me to really be productive. Im sure I can't be the only one like this.....I hope