Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Early WIP] Spaceship model

Fragdady
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Fragdady polycounter lvl 4
Hello! This is my first post on polycount and my first big personal project with 3D modeling (please let me know if I'm breaking any forum rules as well).
Other than finishing and mirroring the sides and front I'm getting towards the end of making the basic model (maybe).

I'm hoping to get some helpful advice and critiques on what I have so far before going forward, as I know there are probably 1,000 things I can do to improve it.

Right now the model is split into a few different pieces, so edges and vertices may not be aligned or fitting perfectly to the other pieces.

Side view
space1_zps16fe661a.png.html?sort=3&o=0space1_zps16fe661a.png

Back over-the-top view
space2_zpsf37473cb.png

Separated into the pieces
space3_zps4b97d587.png

Without wireframe
space4_zpsb481a2b3.png

One of the questions I was hoping to have answered is if it is still important to keep as many of your faces as quads as possible. I was adding a lot of edge loops to make detail and still have quads, but a few other ship models I've seen online will ignore this in some cases (or just have other objects merge through one another). Are there spots where it'd be okay to delete some edges/verts and have > 4-sided shapes?

Thanks for all of the help, it's really appreciated.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is the hi-poly model, right?
  • Fragdady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just what I've been working with, though I feel like there's definitely a way to make it lower poly but still get the same form.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    So you're going to bake this down to a normal map to be applied to a lower poly model for a game engine?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I believe that's a low-ish poly model. Just box-modeling to block out shapes.

Now, if you plan to throw this in ZBrush to make HiPoly, you would want to keep the quads. If this is ready to be thrown into a videogame engine, then you can use Triangles as well.

A question for you; will you place visible structures on the ship ? Like, turrets, engines, reactors, satellite dish, missile racks, main cannons, docking clamps. If so, how?
  • Fragdady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I believe that's a low-ish poly model. Just box-modeling to block out shapes.

Now, if you plan to throw this in ZBrush to make HiPoly, you would want to keep the quads. If this is ready to be thrown into a videogame engine, then you can use Triangles as well.

A question for you; will you place visible structures on the ship ? Like, turrets, engines, reactors, satellite dish, missile racks, main cannons, docking clamps. If so, how?

It should be ready to throw into a game when it is finished. I don't have ZBrush yet but am planning on purchasing it soon.

For the turrets, dishes, etc. I was planning on either extruding existing faces and building off of that, creating new ones on the finished model or, if this works, making them to the side of the model then placing it where I want it and combining the two.
    If I do it the last way would I be able to leave the verts unmerged? Or would I have to find/make a face on the ship that matches the face on the bottom of the turret?
  • Fragdady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message