Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Comicon 2014 | 3D | Luke003 | James Gordon - Final

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke003 polycounter lvl 8
Xpost from my GA thread here.

I am going to be doing a "Final" version of Commissioner James Gordon.

Exposition:
A newspaper blew in the wind, the headline read, "Where is the Batman?" The same question Gordon had been asking himself for the last few days. As things in Gotham escalated rapidly, he knew he would eventually end up laying it all on the line. He was leaking from the chest and his other arm was basically useless, but he grit his teeth, eyed his target through his broken glasses and stood his ground. This is it, he thought to himself. This is the FINAL STAND.
Here is some initial mood stuffs and a quick block in to solidify the idea a bit.

11787563826_6ec4eeabd0_o.jpg

11786798965_79683e4cb0_o.jpg

I'm going to try and knock out the character first. Then I'll come back and finalize the pose and pedestal. Some ideas that I'm rolling around are how to display the newspaper and what kind of gun he has. Originally I thought a news vending machine would be cool, then I thought about the loose paper on the light post. Trusty six-shooter, or something with a locked back slide? Not sure, but I'll get to all that later.

Things I know I want to include for sure:
Brown trench coat
Broken glasses
Loose tie
Limp arm or reaching for a magazine
Grey hair
Angrily forlorn face

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! I did Gordon for the 09 challenge and I'm excited for you :)
  • Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! I did Gordon for the 09 challenge and I'm excited for you :)

Thanks! I saw yours and thought it was pretty cool.

Here are a couple of sculpts. Laughable, I know, I'm trying to learn zBrush. At first it was just frustrating. I feel like the navigation controls are just really confusing, but I haven't been using it for years like 3DsMax. As to be expected I guess. I also know my anatomy skills are very low, so these reflect that lack of knowledge.

Any crits will be much appreciated. Also, any zBrush tips.

Attempt 1:
    11917183325_ef196d46fd_o.jpg

Attempt 2:
    11917465203_608b8db32d_o.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Probably the best beginner Zbrush tip is to get as much out of each subdivision as possible before moving onto the next higher subdiv. The geometry should be faceting pretty good before you subdivide to the next step. I think that alone will help you out immensely even with this model. Drop down several subd's and get all the proportions and forms down before increasing the density.
  • Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the best beginner Zbrush tip is to get as much out of each subdivision as possible before moving onto the next higher subdiv. The geometry should be faceting pretty good before you subdivide to the next step. I think that alone will help you out immensely even with this model. Drop down several subd's and get all the proportions and forms down before increasing the density.

Thanks, that is good advice, and something I see echoed very often. I need to iron the proportions more than I did at lower sub-d levels, I noticed though that the smooth brush would wipe away more changes at lower sub-d levels than when it was higher.

Another question on my mind is, should I be sculpting with perspective on or off? I opted to go with it on, because I figured that would be how the final product is viewed so it didn't make sense to arrive there any other way.

There is still some time left, and I would rather learn a lot than contribute a little, so I'm going to continue retrying this sculpt until I get something presentable.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, the smooth brush can be pretty aggressive at the lower subdiv levels. You can bump down its intensity at the lower levels (I really knock down the intensity on all the brushes haha), but I find myself mainly sticking to using the clay brushes to add/subtract to get the forms close and I don't start really implementing the smooth until about the mid res.

I usually sculpt in the perspective because I think without it I subconsciously try to force the perspective. I would definitely keep checking the model with and without the perspective mode though as well as from all different angles, etc. It is all a learning process for sure and that is what it is all about! :D