Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daves Female Character Thread...

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

I've been working on this on and off in my spare time and is my first ever female character. Having only done a few simple characters previously whilst at Uni I'm a utter noob at Anatomy and hope to make this piece portfolio worthy. Hopefully you guys can help me learn alot!

I'm trying to obtain a likeness (in the face more then anything else) of Actor "Claire Holt"
and the reason being she seems to be of a realistic womanly shape rather then the typical supermodel look.

http://www.pinterest.com/ashleyboten/claire-holt/

In addition to this I have a interview at a studio shortly so this would be a great plus to display some anatomy knowledge!

Head Moodboard:
6w3h.jpg

LATEST UPDATE:

bfdu.jpg
te7k.jpg
lpto.jpg

Personally, I think the head could still do with alot of work; lips more then anything else; but advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Re: the head,

You seem to have a pretty decent idea of the general bone shapes in the face and skull proportions, which is great. Looks a lot better than my first attempts.

Eyes- you have the glabella and orbit pretty much there with pretty clean planes, and thats always good. She could do with more fat above the eye, so I'd just take inflate or clay and build it up a little and make it rounder.

Also look into what's called the lacrimal bone, its a little thing on the inside of the eye that helps with defining and placing where medial portion of the eyelids meet. As you can see in the ref, its an area with really sharp planes so reflecting that in your sculpt will help it a lot.

In the brow above the eye sockets, there should be another plane meeting the forehead. Right now it just kind of smooths into it, so check the ref and see how there's a division there.

Jaw- her jaw shape looks pretty good/accurate so far, but she's sort of missing a chin. Make sure the chin has its own forms separate from the rest of the jaw.

Nose- In the sculpt the nose might be a little too wide, and the nostrils are too thin. You really want to get a nice sharp plane across the bottom of the nostrils and "facet" of the nose (best seen in the top left photo).

Lips- Imo the lips are the weakest portion of the sculpt, as they have an "applied" feel to them rather than being a natural portion of the model. I think whats most missing is the sense of depth, so don't be afraid to really dig in with slash3 or dam standard to get the corners and parting of the lips.

For the corner of the lips, you'll need to get the modiolus or "nodule" in there. Its a nice little bit of form that divides between the corners of the mouth and the cheek, and all the forms of the lips flow out from it. In some people its more visible than others, but its fairly visible in most of your ref pics. It gives the corner of the mouth a look sort of like this " |-- " rather than just " -- " (< hope that makes some sense)

Other proportional stuff and such:

Check the overall size of the eyes. Its easy to oversize them, and if your eye sockets are correct but the eyeballs aren't, it can really throw a wrench in the works.

Also check the location of the eye sockets. Right now you've got them pretty much to the edge of the face, and I think it would benefit from pulling them in somewhat, which will move the eyes a little closer together.

Anyway, hope some of this is useful Lmk if its unclear and I'll try to explain better. Faces are really really hard and there's a hundred things that can go wrong with them, so ultimately it just takes a lot of practice.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow,

I really really appreciate the time and effort you put into that feedback and i'll work on it straight away. Thanks alot; you should see some changes very early in the new year!!

Again,

Thanks - and if anyone else would like to give me some critique again it would be helpful and immensely appreciated :)
  • thepapercut
    Really nice start so far. I can't give much more of a critique as i'm not even this good yet.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice start so far. I can't give much more of a critique as i'm not even this good yet.

Wow thanks man. It's much appreciated but I've still got so much to learn and understand yet!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    eQuq6oZ.gif

Epic image to open with, i know (more can be found here, for science: http://page3-cms.firstclarity.com/page360/ )

So, first few things i noticed, her body is proportionally wrong. typically her shoulders should be three heads wide, and her body should be around 7 heads high. the outer point on her hips when looking from the front should be vertically in line with the arm-pit, and the thinnest part of the waist horizontally in line with her inner elbow. Her arms are scarily thin.

You also need to think about overall body fat levels. most of her body has a nice amount of body fat, but you've carved in a ribcage that would suggest she hasn't eaten properly for a month or two. work on smoothing everything out, then you can focus on little details like that.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gir,

I'm a big fan of your work and I appreciate the feedback; I'll repost shortly with updates to both the head and body. I know something was off proportionally but wasn't fully aware where or why.

Appreciated!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update:

Again critique would be greatly appreciated, I've tried to follow your advice as close as possible; I still am yet to define the muscle groups of arms/hands/feet.

Cheers!

EDIT: I realised I had changed the eye shape and not defined the lip corners; fixed below:
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Used a different Matcap... tried to distinguish more accurate anatomy but again PLEASE CRITIQUE :) Its greatly appreciated and itll help me develop as an artist!

Cheers

UPDATE:
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameful Bump! :(

would like to know areas to improve before I start making hair :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hokay... so,

The things i've observed most about your work up until now show a single consistent flaw that you NEED to fix.

Your knowledge of underlying anatomy is letting you down so brutally. My biggest piece of advice would be - do a couple of ecorch
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Almighty +1.

You should also learn the basic differences between a male and female face, in fact it's not that hard. Generally when I sculpt, the difference between a good and a bad face lies in some millimeters.

And are those shots in perspective view ? Seem more like orthos...
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Almighty;

Cheers for the advice, going to look alot more into anatomy; I know its my downfall and until I study it won't develop much further and gradually come to a halt. I'll try my best to start a ecorch
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    LATEST UPDATE: - Crits would be amazing!!!

(will update with better pics shortly - apologies)
    bfdu.jpg
    te7k.jpg
    lpto.jpg