Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Hannah

Hi all!

I'm Hannah, a Computer Arts student at University of Abertay Dundee.

Decided to start a sketchbook thread here, as my blog isn't the best place for getting feedback. I'll be posting small 3D and 2D media tests which I'm doing alongside my dissertation, and other doodles or paints.

Small handpainted prop:

tumblr_mvg2kv65I71rhglr8o1_1280.png

Small barrel test:

tumblr_mwk14pY58N1rhglr8o1_1280.jpg

Quick plant I did for the Nov2013 Noob Challenge. I didn't really like how it came out though, so will probably redo:

tumblr_mwvs6bPZVk1rhglr8o1_400.png

Some paintings with a digital 'palette knife'. (A lot of my dissertation has involved looking at Impressionism).

tumblr_mw10u44D3n1rhglr8o1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_mvsq0jHfOd1sjlsvbo1_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_mvsq0jHfOd1sjlsvbo3_r1_1280.jpg

Replies

• Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a rock study the other night. Inspired by tanathe's 100 studies on DeviantArt, I decided to try and do a couple a week in between my project to get better at painting textures.

tumblr_mwzr6lhBM21sjlsvbo1_500.jpg

Also did a new stone texture, which I felt went a lot better than my previous ones I made. :) (The diffuse is just plain grey at the moment, but I'll be painting in some colour).

BaMK62UCYAAzR0L.png
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Really love your handpainted work, I'm about to attempt something similar myself, do you have any tips for a hand painted texture workflow? Your style is lovely :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The brown rock study turned out great. Very cool!
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrapnel wrote: »
    Really love your handpainted work, I'm about to attempt something similar myself, do you have any tips for a hand painted texture workflow? Your style is lovely :)

Thank you! I'm actually pretty new to it so I'm still learning myself. I've painted for way longer than I've modeled, so I kind of just use what I know and combine it with tonnes of reference image hunting. :) I've found Pinterest to be a great resource, tonnes of inspiration and workflow videos.
    The brown rock study turned out great. Very cool!

Thanks a lot! c:

I did another study yesterday. It was way harder than rock but I wanted to pick a type of material I'd not done before, and breadcrumb covered chicken is definitely something I've not drawn aha.

tumblr_mxcf80jghI1rhglr8o1_500.jpg

So yeah, it didn't turn out nearly as well as the rock one, but it was fun.

Also I did a texturing test on a plank of wood I'd sculpted. Part of my 4th Year Honours project is trying to make Impressionist style textures, so I did this with a palette knife brush pack I'd downloaded.

tumblr_mxcf6qGvqg1rhglr8o1_500.png

It was also pretty fun but so hard to get it looking okay. 3D is by nature pretty "neat", so trying to get the loose, fat brushwork to translate was tricky.

(I also cheaped out on the back side and copy and pasted aha).
  • FinalDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FinalDragon polycounter lvl 8
    That wood panel looks pretty fantastic. The color tone has a nice 'living' feel to it since it's so warm. I think you might be able to have less defined edges for some of the texture work though if you'd like to make it even more in the Impressionist style; it might be a little too 'defined' as is. :)
  • Red-Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red-Fox polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely Colors!
    Maybe you could try some cold back light on the dark side of the chiken.

Cheers!
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That wood panel looks pretty fantastic. The color tone has a nice 'living' feel to it since it's so warm. I think you might be able to have less defined edges for some of the texture work though if you'd like to make it even more in the Impressionist style; it might be a little too 'defined' as is. :)

Yes, I think so too. :) It's just so hard to break out of the habit of using sketched lines. I have a lot of brushwork to practice!

tumblr_mxyo7k5MbX1rhglr8o1_500.jpg

Working on my ivy vines today for my scene. I'm carrying on with November's noob challenge, but it's going kind of slow as I'm doing several digital tutors courses at the same time. For this I used a Maya tutorial book by Michael McKinley to help.

So here is the scene progress. At the moment it's just default lighting model as I am working on getting all the models in:

tumblr_mxyqpaW03r1sjlsvbo1_1280.png

Things I need to do:

Rocks - The rocks at the moment are just my first attempts at zBrush (I've used Mudbox for everything else) so they're kind of rubbish. I've just found the Digital Tutors course that focuses on zBrush for Mudbox users so I'm going to go through that and try again.

Foliage - I've done some research and found that foliage needs custom lighting models to look right, so I'm need to teach myself how to do that. The grass also needs better diffuse textures than what it has at the moment.

Steps - Just AO at the moment, I need to paint in some colour to match the rest of the scene as they're quite plain and dark.

Wall Seam - I plan on hiding a lot of it with rocks and foliage, but I also need to make a translucent plane to blend between the floor and wall. I'll probably also make a separate wall texture so it's more cave like.
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Hannah ,really liking what you've got so far but, I thought I'd jump in with some suggestions of where you should go next.

First and most importantly I would say you need to start sorting the lighting out. Everything is a little flat looking since the cavern walls are lit almost the same as everything else, apart from those black pillars at the front. You might have planned to do this last, but I'd say you you should get in all your lighting now and save the very fine tweaks for later.

For the foliage I'm really liking what the ivy has done to the pillars by breaking up the grey and adding silhouette, although it might be on the sparse side in a few areas. With the grass, as you say it'll look a lot better with the custom lighting, but another suggestion would be to make more grassy clumps rather than a few planes . With the existing plant in the clump formation really hides the fact that it's just simple ego clipping through the floor, but it's a bit too obvious on the grass, so I'd suggest varying it up a bit. (This would be pretty simple if you just bend the mesh a bit and add a few blades coming off?) also they look like they're using the cutout alpha blending which is why you get harsh pixel crawl on the edges, so I'd look into different alpha modes in UDK.

Your floor sculpt is really, really nice. But it currently doesn't match the rest of the texturing, and I think that's more because you have improved since you started, resulting in a much better normal map. At the moment it's making the pillars look flat in comparison, which could be fixed with lighting, but might be better to do with some mor geometry in the silhouette.

Steps look really nice, maybe mask out some of the AO on the edges. For the boulders on the outside of the shrine I would say to Look at the rock thread on P&P or on the wiki for some more rock sculpting advice, as currently they are looking a little too soft to read as rock.

Overall it's looking really good and I think it's plain to see how much progress you've made since the start, which is something to keep in mind when all you have is hate after staring for so long ;)
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @desktoppiate - Thanks so much for such detailed feedback! I've began working on some of the points you mentioned. I've fixed some of the super dark AO and have added more geometry to the pillars, and I've started to fix my lighting. I'll post progress pictures up next week once I've made some significant changes!

I took a break from 3D today and did a texture study. This one took super long (about 5 hours) because of all the overlapping details. It was fun though, and I think (hope) I did a slightly better job on the lighting.

Bb4bYOyCYAA5vX1.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    looks nice, only crit would be that the scales are a little on the flat side, the ones on top especially. they don't feel rounded like I would imagine.
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a study of LOFOTR Viking Museum, tried to keep it loose and focus on not overrendering.

loftor_viking_house_study_by_gingefails-d6yp0cr.jpg
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_my8jw2JjWN1rhglr8o1_500.jpg

Hand study

Also been working through the Sub-D Maya tutorial on Digital Tutors to learn a better workflow in Maya. On about video 13 of the course. Here's my progress so far:

(Velociraptor, modeled from the image concepts supplied with the course).

tumblr_my8k4sNgWr1sjlsvbo1_1280.jpg
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break over Christmas and New Year's to spend time at home so progress has been slow.

Spitpainting for "offering to the sea" - went a bit over the 30 minutes though.

tumblr_myhnuoapHu1rhglr8o1_1280.jpg

Did another material study. Moss is really hard! I struggled to get the softness without making it too muddy, I think I needed to be more confident with blocky colours because I don't think there's enough contrast?

tumblr_myt04juvLe1rhglr8o1_1280.jpg

Also carrying on with the Digital Tutors Sub-D course. About 70% of the way through now.

tumblr_myt05fEg4C1rhglr8o1_r1_1280.jpg
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    I like your speed paint cubes. One thing I noticed though on those and your rocks is that there are no hotter highlights. Granted not every texture calls for them, but on the rocks, scales, and even the moss seeing a little bit of a really hot highlight or speckle along the edges could make it pop. Just a thought. Keep it up!
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sun_smasher - Thank you for the feedback! I see what you mean, especially in the scales cube, as there was a heavy dominance of blue and cool colours. I'll try and keep that in mind for my next cube.

Thought I'd post my scene progress as desperately need feedback on it. I've been staring at it so long it's easy to be overwhelmed from what I still need to do, and it's my first UDK scene I've done with 95% of the assets made from scratch.

The cave walls are my main focus next, I think, as I still need to blend them in and perhaps give them their own texture.

Also, I've been scouring the web for a tutorial or guide for getting rid of the black shadows on the grass with custom lighting. So far no luck. Can anyone recommend me anything to help with the dark foliage issue?

Also any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

tumblr_myurxiHiX91rqn2vno1_1280.png
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another texture study:

tumblr_mz12ec5FeE1rhglr8o1_500.jpg

And here are the first 5 all together:

tumblr_mz12euOQYN1rhglr8o1_500.jpg
  • Hannah
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_n06ip7oEHs1rhglr8o1_500.jpg

My friend wanted a portrait for her birthday. D:
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool texture studies! especially like the mince meat one.
  • kahlusha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rally love the texture studies ... your style is wonderful
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Twoflower - Thank you! The mince meat was one of the weirder ones to paint, haha.

@Kahlusha - Thank you so much. :)

Working on textures for my final year project (3D scene in UDK). Both of these were first attempts, but style didn't suit the concept, so both are scrapped for now.

tumblr_n065zxDsly1sjlsvbo8_r3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n08ni8CQLK1sjlsvbo2_1280.jpg
  • Hannah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating with some props that I did this week for my painterly street scene.

Bj1SInRCYAAuZR4.jpg

Concept on right. Norm/Diff/Spec/Emiss maps.

tumblr_n3npqpDqFq1sjlsvbo1_500.jpg

Tiny cactus. Small prop that is only about 1 foot high. Diff + Spec map.

Bkm6QkCCMAACTce.jpg

WIP of flower cart. Sculpted in zBrush then baked out. Atm, it's only normal map. Will be painting diffuse and specular maps tonight. :)

Progress on scene can be found IN THIS THREAD.