Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP images from my UDK game, Homesick.

I love this forum, all the awesome work and advice on here. I thought I'd finally share a bit of my WIP. This is a 3d exploration / puzzle game I'm working on. I'm doing everything except the music :)

Most of these are getting close to final I think, but the set dressing will probably change a bit.
homesick_screenshot_v05_01.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v05_05.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v05_02.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v05_04.jpg

This one isn't really done or ready for crit, it's an older WIP:
homesick_screenshot_v04_08.jpg

Anyway, really excited to start sharing here with this great community. Working as a solo game developer I really miss having coworkers to bounce ideas off of, so please feel free to gchat me (barrettmeeker@gmail.com) or ask me question here, I'm happy to share!

Hope you Enjoy!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Correct me if I am wrong, is it anything like Gone Home in terms of interactions?
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct me if I am wrong, is it anything like Gone Home in terms of interactions?

There are books and papers that through a game puzzle you can learn to read and they work pretty much the same where you pick them up temporarily to read them.

But unlike Gone Home, there are also more normal puzzle interactions like pick up a key, use it in a lock etc. So you can end up with a small inventory of objects to use for puzzle solving etc.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good, I like the overall desaturation with some highly saturated elements. I don't know if the flowers are important to gameplay but with the contrast it suggests they are.

There are some construction details that are off, like the conduit and other electrical work. Also, the texture of the ceiling is unusual. Not important to anyone except guys who've worked in construction. :)
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Awesome. Really nice level. I would swap the flowers for a tough looking weed. Would go better with the whole theme
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! The flowers are actually significant to the story & gameplay, so they are supposed to stand out and feel a bit surreal.

Ryan, if you have any little suggestions for the conduits I'd be curious how I could make them a bit more realistic. I don't know if it's practical but I'm curious :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I know I've seen these images before somewhere but I can't recall (maybe an older thread on polycount?). Anyway, it looks great and it is quite inspiring the hear that you are doing almost all of the work on the project!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think it's a bit weird that the books aren't the same desaturated white/gray as everything else. If you want to draw extra interest to the books, leave them they way they are.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan, if you have any little suggestions for the conduits I'd be curious how I could make them a bit more realistic. I don't know if it's practical but I'm curious :)

Here's some pointless details but if you want to make the scene a bit more realistic looking your could incorporate some of these things. There's a lot of other stuff I left out but again, just a matter of how realistic you want it.
    homesick_screenshot_v05_05_details.jpg
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyanB wrote: »
    Here's some pointless details but if you want to make the scene a bit more realistic looking your could incorporate some of these things. There's a lot of other stuff I left out but again, just a matter of how realistic you want it.

Thanks! Some of the 4x4's (those without conduits) you point to are actually random brackets, but yea from the side the look like 4x4.

Also the knock-outs are round, but because of the lens distortion they start to look elongated.

Thanks for pointing out this stuff though I'll try to fix some of it I think, like that penetrating coupling and better tube material, I was trying to get away with not having to make them transparent at the time for some reason...

Thanks again for taking the time!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing out this stuff though I'll try to fix some of it I think, like that penetrating coupling and better tube material, I was trying to get away with not having to make them transparent at the time for some reason...

Flourescent tubes are not completely transparent, they are coated on the inside with a paint that reacts to the mercury. It's a milky white so you could just make them opaque. Burnt out tubes will usually have darkening on the ends of the tubes.

FH08SEP_REPBUL_01.JPG
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a breakdown I did awhile ago, it kinda shows the bracket with breakouts, no idea if these exist I just winged it a little. I'm trying to go for a very slightly surreal stylized feel, just slightly on the fantastical side of realistic.

Breakdown_Electrical.jpg
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyanB wrote: »
    Flourescent tubes are not completely transparent, they are coated on the inside with a paint that reacts to the mercury. It's a milky white so you could just make them opaque. Burnt out tubes will usually have darkening on the ends of the tubes.

Oh awesome! Yes I was trying to go for super old / burned out tubes, but your the second person who has said they look weird so I'll go for something more like what you've posted, black at the ends. Thanks!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a breakdown I did awhile ago, it kinda shows the bracket with breakouts, no idea if these exist I just winged it a little. I'm trying to go for a very slightly surreal stylized feel, just slightly on the fantastical side of realistic.

Yeah, looks good, it's a geeky thing to pay attention to but here's the real world equivalents for anyone interested:

1110 box:
    THOBETE60325_WB_45_PE_002_320.jpg

4x4
    1188798286.jpg

Conduit coupling:
    EMT:
    Electrical-Conduit-Fittings.jpg

Conduit connector (connects conduit to box)
    EMT-conduit-connector.jpg

This is a box offset bend:
    hqdefault.jpg
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I was wondering about the box-offset bend thing. I'll probably leave it out though. Thanks.