Home Dota 2

pls help in GUIStudioMDL compoler

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
down_limit polycounter lvl 10
04790ce835fd7152f71d5ad1a40fb8a3f9fe7572.jpg

I created a new model for the Enigma. but met some problems during compilation mdl file. I know that there are people on the forum have experience in this area. I hope for your help. and I hope that I will not be ignored.

GUIStudioMDL needs certain tools and text files for further compilation. the difficulty lies in the fact that I do not know where to get it. i have tf2, d2 and alien swarm on my pc

Replies

• down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys! please, make magik to new year!
    need help too much
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no clue on what your problem is...
    BUT
    Enigma isn't available for the workshop yet. Valve is probably still working on it or even reworking it (like venomancer recently).
    You can check the available heroes here.
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that an eidolon or are you trying to replace the main model itself? Anyway, like polarbear said, getting this published in the workshop is going to be difficult. If you still need some help, you can add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigpet

Not really an expert but I've tinkered with custom models and helped with some mods.

edit: did you try to follow the instructions in this admittedly old tutorial: http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx polebear for so fit links but my experience of more than one week.
    maybe my problem is that I can not properly explain my point difficulty (?)

"Enigma isn't available for the workshop yet" rly. thx. i know that)
    i have new skin-model and textures for enigma (for spring event).
    as Enigma not in the workshop and this model can not be replaced with gaming compiler, I'm trying to use GUIStudioMDL. my skin has an identical skeleton of Enigma. in this I only need to replace the standard model and textures. for this I have to compile the mdl file.

Bigpet, thanks for link. soon translate this article and add you)
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fd6ada3bd489d1eb506211631f41499e16a1b558.jpg

have qc-file troubles... maybe i must delete some lines of text?
    anyone tried to compile dota's characters? :)
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well ı saw someone in the workshop that created a hybrid version of enigma and he changed all his skills. I recommend you to look to workshop and contact with him.
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit wrote: »
    edit:remove image

have qc-file troubles... maybe i must delete some lines of text?
    anyone tried to compile dota's characters? :)

You could try to delete everything related to turn animations, since the compiler can't deal well with them. Or you can try to compile the same files with Crowbar instead. Someone had similar issues with Mirana and got the model working with Crowbar but that resulted in a bunch of visual glitches in-game for him.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigpet wrote: »
    You could try to delete everything related to turn animations

I deleted a mixed animation, standard animations successfully compiled. I think my rough compilation will be sufficient to record a demo video of Enigma-dragon skin) at the moment I have dx90, mdl and vvd files. it remains to find a way to replace the standard files that are in the gcf archive...
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    I recommend you to look to workshop and contact with him.
    u know he's name, some contact info? or profile in steam or polycount
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I deleted a mixed animation, standard animations successfully compiled. I think my rough compilation will be sufficient to record a demo video of Enigma-dragon skin) at the moment I have dx90, mdl and vvd files. it remains to find a way to replace the standard files that are in the gcf archive...

Just use the -override_vpk start parameter to do it without manipulating the gcf, if you for some reason really really want to replace it inside the file then look at this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130788578#33333 (I think there's other versions floating around that are called dota2replacer or something like that too)

edit: Btw. when polarbear said "Enigma isn't available for the workshop yet" he meant that submitting a workshop item for him will probably be useless. All the heroes were slightly changed when they were broken down. In the actual broken down hero there will probably be no "full body" slot, so it's almost impossible to make an enigma item now and get it into the game.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enigma have no slots for items. and it has no slot for the skin. but for one event VALVE can afford a couple of days to change stondartny skin for the character. as it would be like Wraith-Night) I'm talking about the Skeleton King.

but to be honest, I just want to try create a new skin for any character and try to change the default skin of hero in the game. Enigma - space for experiments. since I had the idea to replace the mechanical unit in Timbersaw of medieval China style.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    u know he's name, some contact info? or profile in steam or polycount

I am afraid not. Because of my shitty internet I cant even try to find him.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You can force load the files, to do so do the following -

1. Extract pak01_dir.vpk somewhere
    2. Copy all the extracted files and place them in steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota
    3. Make a backup folder somewhere, Copy all the .vpk files from steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota into the backup folder, then delete them in the dota folder.

The game will force load your extracted files intead of the .vpk, at this point you need to replace enigmas files with your own. If anything goes wrong just copy the .vpk's back, I usually use the test client for this, as you need to force load anything related to custom particles.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Plant very important information!) this happens automatically , or do I need to run the game in a mode "-override_vpk"? as suggested Bigpet.
  • Bigpet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Plant very important information!) this happens automatically , or do I need to run the game in a mode "-override_vpk"? as suggested Bigpet.

This is the description of how to use -override_vpk but step 1) and 2) are not necessary you only need to place the files you actually want to replace in the folder described in 2). This just makes dota search for the files in steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota and if they aren't found there it searches in the vpk files.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigpet wrote: »
    This just makes dota search for the files in steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota and if they aren't found there it searches in the vpk files.

thanks.
    b06e8129c7344f6568961817a37ba5b98958d317.jpg

it worked, but... :D
    i have troubles with mdl file (bad compilation) or with material-files (i'm try to add alpha mode in vmf code for buity wings effect like a death prophet's dress)
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much for your help Bigpet! this guy helped me with so many moments and I thank him greatly. now I have a very rough example, which can improve!

a0ZYSAE.gif
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At last you know how to start. Gz.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This is too sick! Awesome stuff Down, and I know it's just gonna get better :)

Glad you figured it out!