Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Paradox's Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
Starting my sketchbook, as I'm becoming more active in the PC community. I'll be migrating my other Blade Runner thread as I complete large chunks of that project.

But for now, I'm working on this French caf

Replies

•  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, a bit of a gap between my last post, I've been busy finishing off the props, UV packing, baking normal maps, and scene arrangement. Now onto the textures and materials!

MarmosetBlockout21.png
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its really noticeable that the light bulbs are just billboars. Make them from polygons. They are cheap nowadays ;) Also, some of the meshes are using a lot of polygons as I see so this billboard thing makes the detail of the scene unbalanced.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally agree with you on that one, I'll be switching them out for better bulbs for the next update.

I also switched progress images above, applied the normal maps to everything which I forgot to do >_>
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight's update! Tearing through this as fast as I can, I want to get this done for Monday and then start on the Comicon Challenge!

Texture's are in, I'm still going through the base albedo before I move to materials and some shader work. Can I get some crit's on the color scheme or where I should be adding dirt and details? Other things that jump out to you?

MarmosetBlockout3.png

I smashed my head against Zbrush tonight to figure out 2.5d, and I managed to get a texture out of it, my first decent one ever. So yay for me :D

Thanks!
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Not getting a lot of critique... please tell me what areas I should focus on, I'd realy appreciate it!

Tonight's update is getting materials started and blocked in. I also got the plants in front of the window in, as well as some adjustments for the lighting (Previously the canvas wasn't casting the correct shadow, due to a bug in Toolbag 2). I replaced the texture on the chalkboard, it was pretty crap before, I'm much happier with what I have now, although I will still play around with the wood some. Getting the tree to look like the Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare trees is proving to be difficult, I'm not exactly sure what they are doing to get their unique look. Here is a screencap from one of their videos of a tree. I'll figure it out tomorrow!

MarmosetBlockout4.png
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Image dump of the final renders!

I redid the tile on the ground, the previous one had overlapping forms which doesn't make sense for tiles, and they appeared more flat because of it. There may be a few tweaks left that I'll do, but I'm pretty happy with my final shots.

screenshot003.png
    screenshot002.png
    screenshot005.png
    screenshot004.png
    screenshot001.png
    screenshot000.png
    screenshot010.png
    screenshot009.png
    screenshot008.png
    screenshot006.png
    screenshot007.png

(If you quote this comment, please remove the image links, otherwise this thread is going to be so long!)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Turned out nicely, but there are a few things that still bugging me.The cable of the light bulbs for example. its not casting shadow. Maybe its just because of the positioning of the light and because of the cable is planar. The glasses on the windows looks like rough mirrors to me, because its too reflective. I would change this somehow. Maybe with blinds behind the windows or I don't know. And the last thing that I would say is that you should use stronger ssao because the shadowing looks flat at some areas. Looks nice anyways!
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to the shadow not being cast, that is a fault of Toolbag 2, single sided pieces of geometry do not cast shadows. See my post here. It's fixable, might take a bit of fiddling to get it working without showing any cheats.

I'll take another look at the windows, they are meant to be reflective because I don't have anything behind them. I'll see if I can add some dirt perhaps around the corners to break it up. Adding curtains isn't really something I could do at this point.

SSAO is easy enough to tweak, I'll play around with it some more.

Thanks for the feedback!