Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Norgrim, the Dwarf

*Now with Turntable video:*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp9ftplhF5o"]Norgrim, the Dwarf - zBrush Sculpt Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Today I want to show off one of the playable characters in the game "Elements Of Ice Fire". If you haven't heard about it, you can check out the corresponding thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128180 (Trailer inside)

Now to the character:

Norgrim, the Dwarf. He is a bit of angry character. Most enemies underestimate him, because of his size. He is little, but very strong. He might not be the fastest character, but with his mighty axe he is a danger to be reckoned with.

I am not very talented regarding 3D arts, so, as you might guess, this one wasn't done by myself. Eren Ozel did this character for the game.

If you have any suggestions for further improvement I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

You can find more info about the whole project here:

http://www.elements-of-ice-and-fire.com/
http://www.indiedb.com/games/elements-of-ice-and-fire

*Update*

Thanks for the comments in this thread! Here is a new render with some background infos (click for larger version):

NorgrimTheDwarf800.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arms feel a bit too short and much to thick. Keep in mind that arms (and heads) are disproportionately larger on dwarves than on humans. Dwarves in most fantasy settings are ~4' tall, but with human-sized heads and shoulders.

The legs also appear very short, but it's hard to tell with the skirt.

Overall, the dwarf is a little over 3 heads tall; 4-5 heads is a more typical figure. I'd probably put most of the difference into the legs.
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Thanks for the feedback!

I always think that dwarfs should have strong arms, as they are little power packages ^^

Does the bow on the ankle and lower leg bother you?

I will post an updated version in the next few days.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think its giving more of a gnome-ish feel right now, for me its mainly the size of the head - I feel like if you shrink the head a small amount, that itself will make him appear a bit taller (a large head on a smaller body usually makes something appear more cutesy/child-like.)

You could also add some volume to the waist, they're notorious for drinking and beer bellies :D
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Agreed. The head should be smaller, arms longer. I also the think it could be cool to have bigger shoulders and hands. Make him look more buff. Slighty bigger feet too.
    I did a really quick rework on the proportions to show you what i have in mind:

542011wjj3b4dd.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good crit Suba - I think a bit of a fatter waist to be more in line with Tolkien-esque dwarves would be cool, but that's just personal preference :D
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Hey,

thanks for all the comments!

Here is an updated version of Norgrim.

The back is not finished yet.
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Just another little update.

The back of the character is more complete now!

Let me know what you think!
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Updated version with some background infos can now found in the first post, or here directly:

http://elements-of-ice-and-fire.com/images/NorgrimTheDwarf.jpg

Any further feedback is welcome!
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Just wanted to post the turntable video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp9ftplhF5o"]Norgrim, the Dwarf - zBrush Sculpt Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Feedback is very welcome!
  • d4rk3lf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great looking Norgrim the might! :) Can't wait to see his axe. :)
    I am not very knowledgeable about anatomy, but I agree with the comments above.

If I may suggest 2 things:
    1) Make him less symmetrical:
    (like here.. you see this minotaur have broken horn)
    In your case, you can brake that collar around his neck (left, or right, doesn't matter), and/or make left bracelet longer (so it can serve as a shield)... or rings on his belt... 3 on one side, and 1 (bigger) on the other side...or something like that.
    2) Make something unique on him
    (for example, make his mustaches like this ).. or a little flag on one of his shoulder (that shows rune on his clan).

I think that would give him more personality, and even background story that you never need to spoke of (character will spoke for himself).

Of course, these things are last to do on the character, so if you already have them in mind, just ignore what I said.

All in all great looking character.
    Send my regards to the z-brush modeler. :)

Cheers
    Bobi
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    That's great looking Norgrim the might! Can't wait to see his axe.

Thanks. His axe is currently in work :D But I will show it off here when there is something to show ;)
    If I may suggest 2 things:
    1) Make him less symmetrical:
    (like here.. you see this minotaur have broken horn)
    In your case, you can brake that collar around his neck (left, or right, doesn't matter), and/or make left bracelet longer (so it can serve as a shield)... or rings on his belt... 3 on one side, and 1 (bigger) on the other side...or something like that.
    2) Make something unique on him
    (for example, make his mustaches like this ).. or a little flag on one of his shoulder (that shows rune on his clan).

I think that would give him more personality, and even background story that you never need to spoke of (character will spoke for himself).

In the game you can spend your skill points either on the Ice or Fire abilities. Depending on what you spend your points on the character will change it's appearance accordingly. So there will be little details added like maybe banners or inscriptions on his armor. Is that something you meant?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    He's looking a lot more dwarven now, good going dude :)
  • d4rk3lf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the game you can spend your skill points either on the Ice or Fire abilities. Depending on what you spend your points on the character will change it's appearance accordingly. So there will be little details added like maybe banners or inscriptions on his armor. Is that something you meant?

Well, not really.
    I've meant that the default armor should have some irregularities (not extreme, but just a touch).
    See here for example:
    http://arcadelife.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/d3_character_select.jpg

See that spike on her right shoulder?
    I don't think Blizzard did this by accident. I think they wanted to brake symmetrical appearance of the character, even that little, because perfect symmetry is never seen in nature. For Norgrim you could also add some spike on one of his shoulder, and make those rings on the belt less symmetrical.

But then again, these touches are the last thing to do, and I am sure your modeler knows all of this.

Can't wait to see Norgrim textured!
  • ElementsOfIceAndFire
    @d4rk3lf: okay, now I get what you mean. It's a good idea.

I will post a picture of the finished model when it is textured completely.