Home Technical Talk

Maya 2014 *Contains non-manifold* super error D:

Raf
Raf
Hello everyone, I'm having a regular Maya error... that doesn't seem to have a standard fixable solution. If it helps in any way, my mesh is completely triangulated, exported into Maya from Max as an FBX, and has subobjects withing the mesh. Whenever I attempt to bind my mesh to my skeleton rig in Maya 2014 64-bit, I get the:

- Geometry "GeometryName" contains non-manifold vertices or edges. Use Mesh > Cleanup to locate and remove mesh irregularities. -

I attempted to use the cleanup tool to select, then fix the 'bad' faces or verts. No dice.

I attempted to reimport the mesh as obj (originally I used 3ds Max's 'send to Maya' feature). Still getting the error.

I attempted to see if I had reversed normals. Still nothing.

I combined the mesh with a cube withing Maya, then deleted the cube faces and renamed the mesh. Still... nothing...

I looked for pinching or any weirdness by cycling through the subdivision previews, and there wasn't any.

I tried using the - select using constraints - to select any weird faces... or anything remotely responsible at this point. Still getting the error.

Even before all of this, I had trouble shoot any issues with the mesh withing Max, and Max encountered 4 T-verts (mesh is triangulated, but is it a problem?), no overlapping vertices, no flipped normals, no overlapped UVs, and so on.

I tried all of the these things, but nothing remedied the situation. Here are some images to help illustrate the problem. If you have any ideas, please share them. Thanks for the help! :)

UHZXdgF.jpg

BZmKqxo.jpg

gzMjAuF.jpg

sjulCLF.jpg

Replies

• Raf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raf
    FIXED* oddly enough (maybe because I'm new to Maya), what fixed the error was me separating one of the subobjects from the main body mesh. After that, no more errors. Perhaps it was because the two subobjects had slight intersections.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's because you have Max connected to it :P, it's a bad karma right there.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Non-Manifold" means you have bent polygons from how I understand it. You can use the cleanup function without executing it, so it will just show the polygons that are affected in red color. You may also have to adjust the settings in the "cleanup" window. It's strange, I remember having had this problem once or twice in the past and never since. One thing that's important in that regard is to always delete edges by hitting "delete edge" and not by pressing backspace or del on the keyboard. That will delete the edge too but mess with the geometry.

There are a few little kinks like these that are special to Maya. However, after you solved them once, the program becomes a really nice tool for speedy modeling and unwrapping. They even fixed the UV unwrap function in 2014 ^^
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Sinking wrote: »
    "Non-Manifold" means you have bent polygons from how I understand it.

That sounds more like the definition of "non-planar faces" which is also a cleanup option.

Nonmanifold refers to impossible geometry such as when an edge becomes extruded from or welded to a non-border edge, causing an edge to share more than 2 polygon faces. In these instances, such offending polygons should be either removed, properly attached, or extracted then recombined without merging verts.