Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Poseidon Scene (Finally Done!)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I posted the progress of this a long time ago. (which yea the progress thread totally failed on account of my ADHD). But I finished it some time ago, and before I forget again I just wanted to show it off. :)

More here if you would like see more (such as process and wire-frames).

http://briantrochim.carbonmade.com

Still working on the Sci-Fi section, and a few more pieces. And soon I hope to have a fully finished portfolio.

fXsUJq3.jpg

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful, love the colors.

Only thing I notice is the bottom of your piece on the pillars and rail seem to lack the overall flow of vegetation. If that's your intention or not it doesn't detract from the piece imo. Personally I like that all the sculpted faces are easily readable!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice sculpt! I love the details on the door!
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    I love the detail here - because it makes sense :) every detail is planned and doesn't break the general composition. Yes, this discipline of composition here is fantastic.

Maybe it could have been less symmetric, by adding even a single accent - turning on one of the lanterns, or something.
    IMO it would be good also to differentiate the metal from the rock by mixing a little amount of a new colour into it, turquoise for example.

I like the presentation in portfolio, too. It's esthetical and informative.

Add your name or website URL in the corners of the pictures, in case an employer saves it on disk for later.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    You win - I quit
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this, you've done a really fantastic job. The only crit I'd have is echoing the sentiment above, to differentiate the metal and rock material propertys a bit but its really minor.
    To me it looks like the epic entrance to an underwater cavern or something like that, and it could be really cool to have some cool lighting and refraction effects. Again its a really inspiring piece (thumbs up)
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Awesome work! Love how you handle the moss creation. I agree on the metal. Making it darker should help a lot.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Glad you finished this one up. Awesome amount of detail. Still would love to see material and value variation more than what's there. Jewels in Poseidon's eyes, etc. But the overall detail is what everyone should be aiming for this gen.

Side note: Switch from carbonmade folio. Use a tumblr or blogspot if you're not super familiar with making/hosting your own.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Totaly agree with the others, I don't understand why you symmetrized the moss too, foliage doesn't grow like that ^^.

Also I would add that it's lacking the water element, for a Poseidon door, it's strange. The metal is not rusted, and you could make this like it has been partially submerged by water for some time. With some shellfishes perhaps ^^.

Nice work anyway.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work. Loved seeing the sculpting process sheets on your web page. You spelled sculpting wrong in the headline though.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Such a fun piece, executed near perfectly. Like Gsokol said, love the process sheets as well as the whole portfolio. Also, to reiterate, also recommend jumping away from the Carbonmade. My initial reaction "Oh shit, another carbonmade portfolio?" One of the best groupings of work on a Carbon made though ;)
  • mad-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
    very nice. compliments! :)
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ maximumsproductions - Thanks man, and it is on purpose. I had a lot of grass in that area, and it hid way too much detail. I ended up just taking it away and liking it more. But none the less it IS odd man. If I ever get around to making a Base for it that should fix it.

@ Avvi, Naturon, Texelion, stevston89 - Yea sounds like a Plan. I darken'd the metal, and it gave a "wet" look to it? So I'll fix the spec maps to get rid of that. And the foliage was pure crunch time ownage on my part :poly122:. Hopefully I can find some spare time, and break up that symmetry. Thanks a bunch guys! (Ha starfishy's it is!)

@ BertR - Haha, don't give up man! Its hard work, being an artist will always be that way. Just look for Pros who have the same work as you, and learn their styles until you find your own.

@ NegevPro, dustinbrown, mad-, serriffe - Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

@ Jeff Parrott - Sup man, and thanks! You know I actually took your advice on those jewels. I made basic Cut-out eye like diamond shapes, colored them blue, and then red. It just look'd funky either way. Heck I even made some barnacles to throw on there, but I am just afraid of going over that "too much detail line". :(

And Tumbler, and Blogspot you say? I'll check those out thanks!

@ gsokol - hah... Of course I did.:poly136: I better fix that now then...

@ Add3rI - haha, yea im getting that alot. I guess Carbonmade has a few bad vibes attached to it aye? Heard a lot of pros are using CGhub for portfolios, is that any good?

Haha... I guess I really should just learn how to make a website.
  • JustinK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinK polycounter lvl 9
    amazing work!, can't wait to see more.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Really quiet fantastic work.
    Thanks for posting the breakdown a bit on your site - it's great to see different techniques.
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
    I saw this when you'd just started to sculpt the pillars! This is absolutely stunning, you've done a wonderful job. Really can't wait to see your next one.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch guys! :poly136:
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    @ Add3rI - haha, yea im getting that alot. I guess Carbonmade has a few bad vibes attached to it aye? Heard a lot of pros are using CGhub for portfolios, is that any good?

Haha... I guess I really should just learn how to make a website.

Building from scratch or through a website builder with some tweaking to the CSS is more than fine if you go with a pro license and get rid of the the URL attachment and advertising such as Carbonmade. Having that advertisement attachment is most definitely a turn off to most, as it just seems cheap and unprofessional. I will admit and say that I used Weebly for the base of my website, and at the time (Might be grandfathered in) the pro license was only 15 a year which is not bad at all. IMO my website itself (Excuse the old work, currently employed and slowly working on cycling all that work out) isnt bad, but also doesnt give off that pre-built vibe either without that attachment.

Your work deserves much better ;) that is all we are trying to say haha.