Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Bust Feedback

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DiederikV polycounter lvl 4
I have been working on a new character and I would like some feedback so far.
Render_For_Review.jpg

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    The main thing that looks wrong is the thickness of the various clothing.
    The hat being the one that looks most wrong, because it goes straight into the head, while it has a good distance from it at most points. It seams like it's a half centimeter thick leather where it meets the head.
    Other points that this is obvious on, are the collar and the coat.
    Also the scarf is pretty flat as a silhouette, you could push those folds more.
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks, thats some good feedback :). Back to sculpting.
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again would love some feedback, Decided to change the hat a bit but havent gotten around to get into the detail.
    Render_For_Review_02.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    A lot of what you have just seems to be detail to try and cover up something.

The best clothing shows what's underneath it via pretty well defined landmarks. Does the face under this have cheekbones?

Another thing is, do you know what materials the fabrics are? What is the fabric covering his face? If it was say, a bandana, or a lot of other fabrics, it would have few folds, but the ones that are there would be well defined, this is due to fabric being used as masks have to be held tight.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    I would go back to the eyes of this character. I think the eye balls are a bit too big and the eyelids are looking pretty thick. Hope this helps!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think it would be a good idea to start from sculptin the head correctly, then adding the cloth. I'd also keep the sloth at lower sub D until you have control of it.
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Charlie23 polycounter lvl 10
    Dimfist wrote: »
    I think it would be a good idea to start from sculptin the head correctly, then adding the cloth. I'd also keep the sloth at lower sub D until you have control of it.

I agree with Dimfist. Could you post some pics of the face/head and maybe give us some insight on what you're trying to do with the piece? Whats the direction you're looking to go with it? What references are you using? I think to give a really proper critique it would be nice to have a bit more. Looking forward to seeing a bit more
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    I would agree that the cloth needs to have more distinguishable folds, showing the nose and cheekbones. If this is a bandana then there would not be as many folds as you have sculpted. I would take more folds out of the cloth and also make it much tighter. Is cloth looks very loose and would probably fall down as it is. Makes the sides of the cloth straighter between the nose and the ears, there is too much sagging.
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks a lot so far Guys with all the feedback.
    I decided to make a new head Because... well.. The old one was quite sloppy and it started out more as a "lets see how fast I can do something and it doesn't really matter because it will be covered by something" and you can clearly see that. So because I do want this to be portfolio worthy I started a new head and built it up from there.
    WIP so far, (I know need to fix the brows)
    Render_For_Review_03.jpg

My point where the idea came from was the following picture and when I saw it I was like "That would be a good exercise" so I gave it a shot (ofc I know that I am no where near this level)
    197_max.jpg
  • DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your reference is a realistic character. I would start with that before concerning myself with anything else. Your head looks as the beginning of a stylized - cartoon character. Make sure you get the head proportions from an anatomy book and try to apply them on your character. While you don't have to glue yourself to those measures, it is good to start from there and once you have a correct looking head, play around and give some character to it. At the moment, your base is not going in the direction it should go, in my opinion, so that would be first thing I would try to fix.
    Going back on the cloth, observe two things: the contact points between the body and the cloth and the cloth reaction to this. At least on the bandana, you have a very good example of how to make super nice cloth with just a few folds that were placed where they should be.
    Last thing, you might rush to details to fast. Be patient and try to take your time when you work on the structure of your models. Do that part good and the rest will be easier and you will have a chance to come up with something good. But if you don't have a good base, you can put as much detail as you want, it will never look good.
    I hope this helps a little :)

Cheers
    Dan
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWarren polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah Dan gave some pretty solid advice there. You should try to work from reference at this stage, and really try to learn some of the major proportional relationships that exist between features on most human heads. I've listed some of the most important ones here for you:

· Eyes are generally at the half-way point of the length of the head.
    · The eyes should be scaled so that 5 of them can fit across the width of the head.
    · Bottom of nose is half-way between top of brow and chin.
    · Lips are 1/3 distance from bottom of nose to chin.
    · Sides of chin line up with corners of mouth and centers of eyes
    · Ears go from top of brow to bottom of nose.

Really try to slow down, internalize, study these, and observe them from life / reference. I made a quick paint over that will hopefully help point you in the right direction.

OrSAmFK.jpg
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Guys :) Can't wait to get sculpting again, Hope to find some spare time this weekend. I'll keep you guys updated and I'll keep asking feedback.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    You know you can take a photo ref and put it on the grid behind your sculpt ? It really helps getting good proportions, and it's even better if you have a matching front and side view.

Here it's a bit complicated so I made a tuto ^^. Don't forget to save the zgrid so you can open it later to continue without having to do all this again.

zgridTuto.jpg
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting that Texelion I didn't know about that feature... It seems like combining that with the ability to save views from zapplink would be really useful too.
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Texelion I did not know that trick :)
    just a quick update here, don't even bother giving feedback on the ears havent gotten to sculpting those yet just basic shape and haven't really worked on the Nasolabial fold either just focused on the Eyes for now. and even though I say so myself I would say that im making great progress thanks to all the feedback.
    Render_For_Review_04.jpg
    (Also not sure if posting to much so if I am just tell me)
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That's an improvement, but I feel like you really need to take it down a few SubDs and really nail out the basic forms. Focus on things like bone structure. Check out photos of skulls. Right now I'm just really not sold on the underlying structure, and the way the skin is hanging on the face seems a little peculiar. Don't be afraid to make some big changes.

Good work though, keep at it! And no you're not posting too much.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    When you get the chance mate, try to do some studies of the skull before moving forward with too many other features, understanding the underlying bone landmarks will make your sculpt more believable, and it'll make your job a lot easier. Cheers.
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking better, but Shiniku and Joe March are totally right about trying to get the underlying structure down. The major forms are the most important elements for getting the head to read properly, finer details and minor forms rely on the major forms to be correct in order to add detail to the face or whatever else you are sculpting. I think it would be really helpful to actually draw faces and skulls for a while to get a better understanding of the structures. Check out these two pages from "Drawing the Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis. The words are just as informative as the images.

http://imgur.com/a/5mtXy

After getting the basic proportional relationships, you should study the placement and angles of the most basic planes of the head. After just a few hours of studies you should feel way more confident in sculpting this stuff. It really shouldn't take long for you to see the benefits of it. If you can, try to get to a point where you can draw the planes of the head from memory from any angle.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hi man, I would recommend looking into stuff like Scott Spencer's book on Human anatomy, it will really help out as there are a lot of glaring facial anatomy issues. When working on a face try to do a few sketches from reference, doesn't have to be anything intricate, just enough to get an idea of the forms. Sometimes even trace over stuff like the eyes, face shape, etc. several times to get it firmly set in your mind.

Keep going with this and good luck!
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, been quite busy so I havent had much time to work on the head but I thought I should post a little update.
    Render_For_Review_05.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I would really recommend dropping your subdivisions down to the lowest level and remove the higher levels. Start at the lowest subdivision make sure your structure and forms are correct before adding details. Make sure to use lots of reference. The problem with what you have currently is you have a lot of small details on top of a very unconvincing form and structure. It doesn't matter how many cool details you place on top if the underlying structure looks bad the whole thing will look bad. Good improvement keep it up.
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stevston89
    Its not that I don't appreciate the feedback but I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about what you think is good/bad about my model Because I can't really change anything on the hand of "a very unconvincing form and structure" as you might have figured out by now I am not a Proffesional yet. Right now I can't seem to figger out what is that awfully wrong with it even though I am using a lot of refrence.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Right so when I say unconvincing form/ structure I mean the large forms ( muscles, fat, bones) don't read as a convincing face. A lot of your forms are lumpy, some of them are flat, and your proportions just aren't correct. Here is some screens from a 3d scan at the lowest ( I wish I could go even lower rez with it) subdivision and highest. You will notice that even though the are no wrinkles, pores, sharp fold, etc. it still reads a face with just the large forms. You need to look at it from a lower subdivision. If it doesn't look right there it means you have work to do.
    Just from looking your face is too long, your eyes a to high up, your brow/ eye area is too shallow, your nose looks too large (though older people can have large noses), your cheeks are pretty flat and too high as well, your lips are too big, the creases around the mouth look strange, the ear is way off of what a real ear looks like, your nose isn't shaped correctly (it looks to flattened and there is no thickness to your nostrils), your neck is too short, and the model overall it fairly lumpy.

Edit: Almost forgot here is a link to where you can download the scan http://www.ten24.info/?p=1164
    qEZ7Rrz.jpg

JQ6n7x5.jpg
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks, I can do something with that. :) (Also didn't pay any attentions to the ears yet)
  • DiederikV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update
    Render_For_Review_06.jpg