Home General Discussion

Dealing with a large building environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
Hey there guys,

Our team is developing a title that involves the majority of the game to be the interior of an apartment building. My question is how would you guys go about this? working on a room, or part of a building is generally simple, but because of the scale of this project, I've come up with a few theories of how to tackle it.

1) Use AutoCAD and Max to plan and model the entire building, using a mix of modular and static models to achieve the scene, most likely tilable textures for large areas.

2) Make a series of modular 192x192x16 pieces to create the floors, ceilings and walls to plan out the map,

3) use BSP for floor plans and modular pieces or walls, exterior facades etc..

4) Use AutoCAD and tilable textures in general, modularity would only be for smaller props.

It's interesting to think of different techniques that we could use to develop the game's environment. But essentially we are looking for the best method to create the realistic environment with the best optimization. We're looking into level streaming for each area too, which is definitely a must.

What way would you all tackle an environment such as this?

Much obliged for any answers. :)
- Sythen.

Replies

• Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It really depends on how unique the floors of the building are.

If it's a traditional style building with right angles, you can get very far by using straight walled modular pieces. I'd make one outer wall mesh for an entire floor and then throw in room-walls like how one would make cubicles. And I wouldn't limit myself to just 192x192 but work with larger increments too. You could simply make a few shapes like:
    simplemodular.png
    which gets you an entire floor with very little work. This is a simplified version of course, but I think you will benefit from having some larger modules and then filling in the small gaps with 192² wall pieces.

If it's a very unique looking building, something like this you should work with a giant unique model for the building (perhaps still separated by floor, I don't know how your level progression will work) and only use modules for decoration like piping, lights, heating, and furniture.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man, I recon we're going with a more unique building layout, so large meshes seem to be the way to go. :) The business lobby environment has opened my eyes to how I'm going to tackle it. Thank you man!

- Sy.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    http://de.slideshare.net/JoelBurgess/gdc2013-kit-buildingfinal

A little info about Skyrim with the modular level design of the Dungeons.
    Maybe it can help planning the work.

The most important thing is the correct system for the "Gameplay". When you have a fast Action Shooter a repeating modular design is nearly unavoidable or you need a army of developers. For "slower" Games the world can be smaller you (must) have more time for individual assets.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Cibo wrote: »
    http://de.slideshare.net/JoelBurgess/gdc2013-kit-buildingfinal

A little info about Skyrim with the modular level design of the Dungeons.
    Maybe it can help planning the work.

The most important thing is the correct system for the "Gameplay". When you have a fast Action Shooter a repeating modular design is nearly unavoidable or you need a army of developers. For "slower" Games the world can be smaller you (must) have more time for individual assets.

I have seen this before, keep returning to it, they have a video of it somewhere, it really is a invaluable resource the video especially about working on and off the grid, really gives you insight into a top notch modular design workflow.
  • Luciuspain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luciuspain polycounter lvl 8
    Painfully generic I would suggest doing some research into the matter with much older games that had to tackle large modeler buildings. I think your way of going about it is quite solid scott best of luck with the project if you need a sculptor to detail anything just ask dec.