Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Torbens Portfolio Creation

Hi there!
I'm striving for an internship as a concept artist at one of the tripple-A companies in Sweden or Denmark.
My goal is to merge a solid portfolio from the stuff I've made so far during my 1½ years at The game assembly in
Sweden.
Any thoughts or critique on what I've produced so far would be higly appreciated :)
Atm I personally feel my content's too mixed. Most environments were done recently and I've been focusing a lot on those to build my skills there . But most of the characters are roughly over 6 months old and my plan ss to either polish them or replace them with new ones.
I also feel that that maybe I should ditch the cartoony designs alltogether.
Here's what I've got so far:

hA3uf0W.jpg

rL9GMS9.jpg

5UWBK2t.jpg

5ho5V2q.jpg

Ws1lGf9.jpg

jeic6jB.jpg

bPyqihQ.jpg

bPJ4Qke.jpg

yl5cc7I.jpg

S5r5hj8.jpg

POGv0nd.jpg

2YwEMfn.jpg

LecjK75.jpg

JCQH3Pg.jpg

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very promising, If you don't spend much time on the environmental pieces (2 hours apprx) then I really don't see why you couldn't be hired.

I suggest maybe working with darker contrast on some of your designs, they all require some darkening to an extent.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fox's arms, and to a lesser extent his legs, are painfully thin. Proportions on anthropomorphic animals can be tricky, especially since the fur tends to add bulk. The cloth on his left leg has an odd shape from the thigh to the knee. The feet are also very small; I suppose you were basing the size on an actual fox paw, but it just looks unnatural.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It looks decent all in all
    One thing I can immediately spot is that you do not really paint ambient occlusion at important spots, (like where your characters meet the ground and other details)
    Its technically no shadow, its light that is missing rays because the place is hard to reach, so they appear darker. Look that up at best, will help on many places on your paintings.

On characters like your last 3 pics, define a area with higher detail grade (usually the head, maybe something else aswell, like important part of a weapon, something)
    That part will define the quality of your whole piece, the rest is fill in, the eye helps greatly by imagining detail your set up for it, where you actually didnt paint some. The quality of your characters is high enough in general for filling in, but youre missing out on the high quality spots.

Also, you can add more depth by using a little exxagerated saturation and lightness vanishing. The left side of the gorilla per example could be a little lighter, and less saturated, since its further from the camera as the right, giving more depth.
    You use it in your landscapes, but it dosnt seem consistent, and your characters can benefit from it aswel

If you want to act pro, a signature helps, even if its nothing special, just looks badass, and show metaphorical me that you think about your stuff. Concept art is about defining things, things that make sense and are plausible.

Show that you think. Theres not a single indication that you think about what you paint. That can be minor things, such as painting spheres with material definitions,
    blobs of color with your palette (maybe alternate palettes) different variations,
    different silhouettes, give the object a name, a background, whats the setting, which year which world, how would his buildings look, what tools would it use.

There are unending things in 2D, but you should be on a good path, just pump out some stuff, and look what the others do. Ctrl.paint is also a lovely resource, more for the starters, but it may refresh a lot of things where we usually say "yea i know that (but not actually consider it in work) "

Edit: Flat 10-80% grey background = Turnoff : P

Edit2: Here some examples of additional info, its only scratches the surface of what you can do however

Concepppt.png

What is your design achieving, what does it want to achieve ?
    Which information is important for someone else to know ? What are the materials ? Why does it look like the way it looks. Whats its purpose ?
    Which mood does it bring up, and is that the mood I want ?

Those and many more questions are to answer, just painting a cool form is not enough. Thats the essence of conception, the things behind the actual image.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Torben, Shrike has posted some amazing advice. I suggest you really take what he's said and run with it as it's pretty much the epitome of feedback.
  • TorbenLindstrom
    Wow. Just read all the feedback. Thanks a whole bunch people. I seriously cant express how thankfull I am.

Mossbros: I have to confess, Most of them have a bunch of time spent on them.
    I used to do speedpaints more last year but I got the advice to really sit down and push rendering. I got some 2h from a few days ago though. I think I could do with learning some more efficient workflow, using photos and custom shapes

jvjX32S.jpg

OneDMrY.jpg

DWalker: I'll do a paintover soon and see if it helps. I've allways felt wierd when I've looked at him

Shrike: Wow, thanks so much for the elaborated feedback.
    I can defenitely see how my concepts lack direct communication. I guess I've allways wanted them to speak for themselves but since it's actually all about communication it's stupid not to emphasize it.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Torben cool work, in fact I really want to model the room with the sniper rifle at the window :D
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Really great stuff Torben! Saved for my inspirational folder.
  • TorbenLindstrom
    JustGarry: Thanks! glad you like it. And you're very welcome to model it :). Would be interesting to see how a modeler would interpret my concept

chrisavigni:
    Thanks man. keeping an inspirational folder is awesome :)
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
  • TorbenLindstrom
    BR5L1GW.jpg
    a character I finished recently. I'm going to add some descriptional text and detail views to explain my thought's

she's a redesign of the pawnbroker from crime and punishment. I'm going to redesign a few of the characters. The detective is up next

GBoroRq.jpg
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
    I find it a bit hard to read all the notes on the latest image, the cyborg. Kinda defeats the purpose. But otherwise nice work and progress torben, keep it up!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your human concepts feel oddply proportioned and/or weirdly posed. Extremely thin limbs, for example.

I disagree with Shrike about the notes. His version is very messy with the swatches and sphere and non-essential information (oh really, that gun is a weapon?). Some additional info like the swappable weapons is useful, but don't add stuff just for the sake of adding stuff.
  • TorbenLindstrom
    Albin: yeah It was kind of a rush there. was meant as a Up-next thing rather than any well written out thoughts, but I'll keep it in mind and will try to make more presentable notes.

Snader: Hm, thanks for the heads up. Think I'm going to do some exact measuring and see were I've done wrong.

But isn't Spheres a good way to for instance just present materials very fast? It's not good to just clutter and turn away the intended focus, but just for the sake of a fast explanation?
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Torben thanks man, I am going to start this soon(ish) hopefully so I will keep you up to date with the progress on here :D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Snader wrote: »
    Your human concepts feel oddply proportioned and/or weirdly posed. Extremely thin limbs, for example.

I disagree with Shrike about the notes. His version is very messy with the swatches and sphere and non-essential information (oh really, that gun is a weapon?). Some additional info like the swappable weapons is useful, but don't add stuff just for the sake of adding stuff.

Sure my version is messy, Im not going to take the time of an actual artwork just to demonstrate a point. Its a demonstration of examples put on an image, thats why it is cluttered (and because its badly executed)

On a side note, I did not put much time in the descriptions, but theres a vast difference between a PDW and a Assault rifle per example.
    If you note PDW it indicated that its for personal defense, that the guy doing a totally different job than someone carrying a all purpose war weapon.
    Exactly this unclarity you took from that simple description just demonstrates how important it is to give good and well thought context about your work.

Color palette and material definition (shared materials for a faction etc)
    and other fancy things like that are nothing that is needed, but it shows that you care, put effort into what you do, and that you think about your work, and not just push out a picture of something and call it a day.
    The devil is in the details, sure raw visual quality is a main factor, but thats not what concept art is about.
  • TorbenLindstrom
    5v7yJho.jpg

Finished the detective, I feel pretty confident with putting him in my portfolio.
    If there's any crits or thoughts on the design I'd love to hear it!

yet again i neglected to explain in plain text the functions of the character.
    before i start any new character I'm going to do explanatory work for the last two.

On the point on explaining the concept with text and sketches, IF there's something I know that the 3d artist or animator doesn't know or could benefit from knowing then it's never wrong to explain. In this case how his armour bends for instance, that he can change technological parts on his legs and so forth.
  • TorbenLindstrom
    thought I'd update my portfolio plans. These two characters from crime and punishment will be the only ones I'll include so far. I'm helping some friends out with concepts for a Counter strike level. Right now I feel the indoor environment lacks a focalpoint

cqRemGZ.jpg

QzjGQHS.jpg

l4RVWZX.jpg

TTddUYS.jpg

utXRBVY.jpg
  • TorbenLindstrom
    At last an update. At scool we are currently working with our FPS project. I've produced environment concepts in close colaboration with the environment artists. I'm the most happy with these three.

Env_clean.jpg
    this one I've taken to a more polished level to pratice my rendering and see were my initial thumbnail is lacking. I feel like I learn a lot about the key focus in sketching when I polish.

Environment_concept1v2.jpg

Env_containerArea_concepts.jpg

Thumbs-retouch1.jpg
    lastly a revisit to these characters. some correction of the anatomy and feet placement. Darkened the bakground and I think it looks much better.