Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jewelry Box

Hi all, my name is Pete and I'm new here, and as you are about to see, new to the modeling scene :D

anyway, I'm really struggling with matching up some vertex's so I can duplicate and rotate it.

I'll show you as I seem to be awful at trying to describe what I mean :P

So here is my quarter I am after duplicating...

9.JPG

Attachment not found.
7.JPG

And my issue...

5.JPG

6.JPG

..I also clearly have no idea how to use your attachments, sorry about that :P But if you click the links you'll see the pics.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Replies

• Divinitize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should be able to target weld the vertices, unfortunately i don't know how to do it in Maya

Edit: Apparently maya uses Merge, which is found in the edit mesh tab.
  • Different_Directions
    hmm idd, I can merge the vertex's sure but I'm trying to make it so I can just duplicate it 3x and have it all snapped together.

I guess i could duplicate, merge, delete half the faces then I should have a working quarter... right? Would people recommend this or is there a better way to go about it?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You can snap vertices by holding down V while you move them.

For the record, Maya also has a "target weld" too, unless the version you're using is absolutely ancient.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    You can go to Edit>Duplicate Special. Then type in 90 degree and the number of copies. As long as your pivot point is in the right place, that should work. Then select all the verts and got to merge. (:
  • Different_Directions
    Thanks for the responses all :)
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If your model is radially asymmetrical, you can also use a -1 scale in the Duplicate Special options to mirror across an axis, rather than duplicating then rotating it, and everything should line up no matter what (as long as your border lines up with the axis).
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just remember to fix that negative scale immediately, as it'll result in some odd things happening if you forget about it.
  • Different_Directions
    The negative scale? : /
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade is referring to my last post. Negatively scaled objects tend to cause inside-out normals which leads to your models appearing hollow. Generally, I always have Backface Culling enabled so I can immediately tell when a polygon is facing the wrong direction.

Refer to the yellow-outlined box in the image below. I was too lazy to snap another shot of just that menu. Although, the red-outlined box isn't a bad setting to have on by default either. Enabling Border Edges will let you easily identify unwelded edges and other strange topology issues with your meshes.

BackfaceCull.png
  • Different_Directions
    Thanks guys this is really helpful, thanks for taking the time to create the 'walk-through'

So this is how its coming on so far in-case anybody was interested...

1.JPG

Couple of further issues if anybody has the time...

I have softened the edge just above the stands but the shading has gone funny, maybe because they are single planes?

2.JPG

3.JPG
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the third image there, you have what is called nonmanifold geometry, which should be avoided. Edges should only ever share 2 polygons. If there is a circumstance that would require more, you should separate the extra bits into it's own element. The edges you have underneath the container are welded to vertices in the middle of a mesh rather than on a border.

Capture.PNG

The left cylinder in the image above is similar to what you have. The highlighted vertices represent the areas on the mesh that are considered nonmanifold geometry, and as you can see all the edges around that area share more than 2 polygons.

A simple solution to your problem would be to extract the entire under side and combine it together again (center cylinder in the image above). This breaks your model into two separate elements, both with their own set of vertex normals which should solve your strange shading issues you see on your model. The bold edges you see around the cylinder are caused by the separated element being exactly flush with the main element's topology. This is acceptable.

The right cylinder in the image above is probably a better solution, as it adds depth to your object, which is more realistic, and it keeps everything as a single element. The highlighted face loop was created by extruding out the border edges, then the rest was filled out using a combination of Fill Hole, Poke Face, and the Split Polygon tool.

P.S. if you upload images to your post but don't insert them into your message body, they will display neatly at the bottom with little thumbnails.
  • Different_Directions
    Wow big help, is there no thumbs up system on here? :D

As I'm at my tri limit, I think ill go with having the separate elements, the second option. But I can definitely see why the 3rd would be the much more sort after approach.

Thanks again for all your time and effort, and everybody else's...

...Ill update this post once the model is finished to show you how it turned out :)

Thanks again!