Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Creature Art Test

Hello Polycounters !

Here is an Art Test I made for ArenaNet Internship Programs : actually I've never applied because I'm still a student for a moment and i considered it as a training for character modeling/texturing based on a professional concept. So I share it with you since it's been finished some months ago.

Reminder of the main criterias required : about 7500 tris and 1024*1024 texture maps.

ArenaNet_ArtTest_Lizard_02.jpg

ArenaNet_ArtTest_Lizard_01.jpg

Low poly retopology in Zbrush and UVs in 3DSMax
Baking in XNormal, texturing in Photoshop and nDo2

ArenaNet_ArtTest_Lizard_03.jpg

Any feedback is welcome for the next time ! I know it won't be the last art test I'll do for them and I intend to have learnt some new things in the meantime.

Replies

• mettigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mettigel polycounter lvl 6
    How long does it take you for the whole proces ? Love it!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some minor differences between your model and the concept. The spines in general should be more swept back and longer. The tail should be a bit longer and narrower towards the tip, and the abdomen thicker. Also, your creature seems to open his mouth by raising the upper jaw like a crocodile, while the concept lowers the lower jaw.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    In terms of execution, this has to be one of the best attempts at the Anet test I've ever seen. Aside from the differences that DWalker pointed out, it's excellent.

I would have liked to see a little bit more life in the specular, though.
  • JeanValjean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker : I agree with all the differences you pointed out. I think it might have been hard not to lose the 100% focus on the shapes and anatomy, and when I spotted some of them it was somehow too late ahah

.nL : Thank you for your warm feedback ! It comforts me in the fact I didn't aim too far aside. Agree on the specular, and I could add the diffuse too, I spent time tweaking them but had to call it done at some point.

mettigel : I couldn't count the hours doing it, because I was always pushing it irregularly a little bit every time, my bad. I still can say that the high poly sculpt took something like the 2/3 of the full pipeline, and that the lowpoly/baking part was faster than I thought, thanks to the Zremesher that came right after I was done with the sculpt in July.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Looks clean here, I like it :D Also like the way it's presented :3
  • JeanValjean