Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M720 Custom .356 Revolver

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
I posted this is in the WAYWO thread last night, but I figured I might as well make a separate thread for it, so here we are.

So far I've only been working ~1 hour on the blockout, but for the first time in a long while, I'm really feeling the concept, so this should be good to work on. :)

m720_revolver_design_multiview_by_daisukekazama-d4nmzz9.jpg
Concept by my friend Daisuke, or Daisukekazama as he goes by on DeviantArt.

Here's what I got from when I left off last night:

5LNxp
[Click on the picture to see a timelapse video}

Alright, now back to work.

Edit:// Damn it, I wrote .356 in the title instead of .357... I feel like an idiot.

Replies

• mettigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mettigel polycounter lvl 6
    Watched the Video this morning. It would be cool if you upload the rest of it! Love the project!
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted, tweaked and worked on the model some more tonight.
    Almost ready to take this to the high-poly.

5MxM3
    mettigel wrote: »
    Watched the Video this morning. It would be cool if you upload the rest of it! Love the project!

Thanks! Don't worry, I'm uploading the latest video now. It'll take a few hours because my upload speed is bad, but it'll get there soon. :)
  • mettigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i saw that a few minutes ago on Facebook :D.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has taken way too long, but part 2 is finally uploaded...

http://youtu.be/ZbaPXBCsW_8

Edit:// Damn, I began working on the HP and I just realized that I forgot to press record... Should I re-do the high-poly and make so to record it? Y/N?

It won't be too much of a hassle for me, but is it something you would want to see?

m720.gif
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The muzzle looks exceptionally high-poly when compared to the rest of the gun. The flat portions of the cylinder also seem to have a few excess polys. The cylinder release has a truly ridiculous number of polys considering its size, relative importance, and placement in the frame.

The front of the trigger is flat in the concept, rather than curved as in your layout.
  • mettigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be interessting to see you modeling the HP.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    The muzzle looks exceptionally high-poly when compared to the rest of the gun. The flat portions of the cylinder also seem to have a few excess polys. The cylinder release has a truly ridiculous number of polys considering its size, relative importance, and placement in the frame.

The front of the trigger is flat in the concept, rather than curved as in your layout.

While I thank you for your critiques, I must tell you that this is the blockout which will be used for the high-poly later on. That's why it's so unoptimized. :)

Regarding the trigger, it's not actually flat in the concept. Besides, this way it'll be able to catch some nice highlights. Thanks though!
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm, I assume the blockout helps you get a feel for the shapes without having to wonder about optimisation or topology ?
    Should probably start doing this myself then. :p
  • AndroidBebop
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh that sucks man! would've been great to see you model the HP. But it is a waste of time to make the HP again for you, I would just remember do to it for another project :) looking good!
  • cR45h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Gotha say, that looks pretty cool Kev :)
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good. Interesting approach to the blockout/highpoly workflow.

Mind posting Highs that are stationary? Hard to see whats going on when its spinning :)

Mmm. Scratch that. Saw some stills through your portfolio. Looking good man. Can't wait to see how you go about texturing.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NanoTurtle wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I assume the blockout helps you get a feel for the shapes without having to wonder about optimisation or topology ?
    Should probably start doing this myself then. :p

This is pretty much spot on. While triangles can still be an issue in some cases, I find that they're not as annoying with the way I'm working here. :)
    Nevermind.

Got it, haha.
    Stormfreek wrote: »
    Ahh that sucks man! would've been great to see you model the HP. But it is a waste of time to make the HP again for you, I would just remember do to it for another project :) looking good!

I might actually just make the HP again for the sake of the video. Between the videos, I've made a few adjustments to the mesh (just some minor things) to speed up the conversion, so it won't take me more than an hour or two.
    cR45h wrote: »
    Gotha say, that looks pretty cool Kev :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it coming from you! :)
    s6 wrote: »
    Looking good. Interesting approach to the blockout/highpoly workflow.

Mind posting Highs that are stationary? Hard to see whats going on when its spinning :)

Mmm. Scratch that. Saw some stills through your portfolio. Looking good man. Can't wait to see how you go about texturing.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure why I didn't post those here, sorry, here you go!
    And thanks, yeah I'm looking forward to getting to texture it all.

001.jpg
    002.jpg
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I was waiting for someone good to attempt this, Mine wasn't too great. The High poly didn't have smooth enough bevels.

metalicm720.jpg

Looks great so far, cant wait to see the final result man