Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ikarus' Drone Buggy

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ikarus polycounter lvl 10
Here's a one-week project i currently finished for the Unity Asset Store. It is a fast, recon unmanned vehicle designed for rapid deployment and quick mission intel gathering.
I'm not perfect with normal maps so please point out and help where you see bugs. I chose to do 50-50 half of it baked with rounded edges and the other half, minor details in photoshop as a quicker method.

The model is about 5k polygons, it might be a bit too high since it's more of an asset rather than a vehicle you go close up to. Then again i'm a bit disconnected from the 3D modeling for games since i did more concept art lately.

For the asset shop i also did a couple of skin variations with different paintjobs.

Anyway, i hope you like it and also please check the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzyCm8MqZA"]turntable animation[/ame] of it and a lower resolution of the model uploaded here for 3D viewing.

yl04TeE.jpg
mIvYw9z.jpg
tATxzkE.jpg

Replies

• BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    Cool asset, I really like the different paintjobs. The normal map looks good from what I can see, you should post the wires too. The texture is a little divided at the back of the main mount piece, but like you say if a player won't get too close to it's pretty unnoticeable :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The camouflage colors feel very muted, especially the desert one. Keep in mind that camouflage should be non-reflective, matte paint; yours seems to use the same material as the bare metal.
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BasicallyNormal Thank you ! can you point out the separation >.< ? it might be a diffuse map issue :s anyway i will come back with a wireframe render.

@Dwalker This is an eternal conflicting issue in games, making something look good and inaccurate vs boring and military accurate. This vehicle has so many inaccuracies that the paint is the least of my worries, nonetheless, good point, i do have some troubles with spec map so i think a less metal look and more-paint look will fix this issue.

Anyway here is the link to the unity asset ! The price is a bit steep because of all the taxes, i did lower it but it'll take a couple of days to update.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I think the model looks great (nice job!) - I really think your presentation shots are letting you down though. The renders come out as pretty dark to me. It's muting your actual details. I also really feel you can push your textures a lot further to really define your material definition. Higher spec/gloss on your metal parts, etc. I'm also curious to see wireframes but thats just me! Keep up the nice work :)
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @genwu, that is a problem i encounter a lot, what should i do ? how do i define the materials better ?
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Ha, all speculative man - I'm not even sure I'm qualified enough to answer! If it were me though - at least regarding your presentation, I'd move your light around (in what i'm guessing is marmoset) - to really show off your spec/gloss map more. Your Hex Camo diffuse in your presentation shot is muting your details pretty hardcore (again that could just be because of the dark matte texture along with the dark background.) Feel free to msg me on skype (millerjayson) if you'd like! I can try my best to help :)
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked the specularity map in the end to something simple and clean, the materials are more obvious, just gotta learn how marmoset deal with its materials and maps. Anyway the drone price is down again yey !