Home Technical Talk

Complete workflow question, starting in Zbrush.

tl;dr:
1.) is there ANY way to import the low poly / uv unwrapped model back into ZBrush and UV's to your high poly sculpt??
2.) Is my workflow idea correct?

So I've ran into a bit of a texturing hiccup. I just need a straight forward step a,b,c,d etc to get my mind to wrap around the idea of an entire character creation.

I've always dabbed in Maya--> UV --> Texture --> finish.

But now I've been recently starting in ZBrush way, way, WAY more and enjoying it way more. So I'll list out my idea and I'd like anyone to correct it.

ZBrush--> Finish sculpt / texture.
Retopologize.
UV Unwrap.
XNormal Cage
Bake diffuse and normal maps.

Is this right?

Also, real quick, as far as texturing, is there ANY way to import the low poly / uv unwrapped model back into ZBrush and transfer the UV unwrap to the high poly sculpt?

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    How you do it all really depends on your software of choice. Here is my general high-to-low work flow:

1. High poly in ZBrush
    2. Retopologize in ZBrush
    3. Project All, Subdivide, repeat until all details transfer. This creates a high poly with edge flow based on your low poly model
    4. GoZ to Maya and Unwrap (make a cage if you're not using ZBrush to bake)
    5. GoZ back to ZBrush
    6. Bake normal, diffuse, and displacement maps inside ZBrush

To answer your question #1, step 3 above will prepare your low poly model to be unwrapped. I recommend unwrapping after projecting in case your retopologized model has some issues during the projection process, you can go back and tweak the polys.

Step 2 can really be done in any software package. When you're done, just import it back into ZBrush and append it as a subtool to your high poly model so you can perform step 3.

You don't need a cage if you use ZBrush to bake maps, as it uses SDiv1 as the cage when you bake.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    1.) is there ANY way to import the low poly / uv unwrapped model back into ZBrush and UV's to your high poly sculpt??

If the topology is identical, then importing it over the sculpt will automatically update the UVs. If not then you wont be able to copy the UVs to the sculpt, although you could subdivide the new mesh and project the sculpt's details onto it.

It might be important to ask if you really need UVs on your sculpt though. If you're baking in Xnormal, then UVs will only be needed if they can help out the sculpting process (uv-based noisemaker).