Home General Discussion

Can't import animation in to UDK

So I have imported FBX animations in to UDK several times now. But its just this one object it will import but the animation just wont work. In the editor the bones show up skinned correctly, but the animation just won't play. I know my setting are right because I imported other objects with the same settings.

things I tried
  1. closing in all open faces
  2. taking away my multiple materials
  3. making less bones
  4. making bones thicker in 3ds max
I imported the FBX that i tried importing in to UDK back in to 3DS max, and it plays just fine.

Any ideas why its not playing because i think I'm all out

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, as far as I know it could be a number of things, it depends.

Could you maybe provide a brief summary of your export/import workflow inside 3ds max and UDK? Just to be sure and so that I can get a bit of context. :)

Also is there a difference between this object and the others you imported?

EDIT: And just to be safe, here's a bunch of checks you could do (apologies if you have already done that):

When you imported the mesh, did you set the import type to Skeletal Mesh instead of Static Mesh?

Did you tick "import animations" on in the import window in UDK?

Did you assign the animation sequence properly and to the right AnimSet and mesh in the AnimSet Editor?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Not to state the obvious but you might get more help in the tech talk section:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
  • VisceralD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm well thank you for your concern
    So my process is to
    1. 1.make a mesh (usually low poly)
    2. 2. delete half of it (because I plan to use symmetry in the engine)
    3. 3. split up the faces in to different materials, 5 in this case
    4. 4. create a regular bone skeleton
    5. 5. place the bones in proper areas using the bone edit tool
    6. 6. skin it
    7. 7. select both bones and mesh
    8. 8.export out as FBX(the setting here I know are good, because I exported other meshes with no problems under the same settings.)

also I already tried resizing both the mesh and the bones, with the same error.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Ah yeah, i didn't notice the thread was under general discussion. You should definitely move/make the thread in the UDK sub-forum.

Also, I don't know if you have already done this, but normally you need to first import the mesh with the bones and without the animation into UDK, then assign the animation to it via an AnimSet. Also check the edit in my post above, maybe something can help there. :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im not too familiar with UDK animations, but off the top of my head....

Did you animate your rig (sorry, its not in your process). If so, did you bake the animation to the bones, rather than just on the controls?

Do you have animation checked off in your fbx settings?