Home Technical Talk

Crytiff Normal map error

The normal map appears perfect on the model in Marmoset toolbag however,
when I was converting the normal map to Crytiff format in Photoshop I got this error:

ougu.jpg

Could anyone elaborate a bit more and explain what is actually the problem?
It also occurs with other normal maps from other models.

If I was going to 'normalize the map as the message says, what is the best way to do that in photoshop? (nvidia filter? specific settings?)

Has anyone else come across this error message before?

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Well it look like you are loading in an 8bit image, instead of the recommended 16bit. Try to bake your normal map in 16bit in the first place and just load that into the converter and you should be fine. If you use the tiff format in xnormal it spits out a 16bit by default, and also note that tga format is 8bit only, so maybe that is your problem? If you need to normalize something the xnormal photoshop plugin has the option to.
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Well it look like you are loading in an 8bit image, instead of the recommended 16bit.

Yes, it was due to 8bit format since that only exports out as low quality and my preset was set as high.
    Re-exported with 16 bit, and it is appearing better than it did before in the engine, however some edges are still rendering very dark when the normal map is applied to the object.
    Don't know what is causing this, since the bake was clean/error free, and smoothing groups are correct .
  • james01
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you set the swizzle to Y- instead of Y+ ?
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NanoTurtle wrote: »
    Did you set the swizzle to Y- instead of Y+ ?

Originally the maps were baked in 3ds max, so apparently they are rendered incompatable for CE3.
    I re-baked in xnormal with the Y- setting and that seems to have fixed the shading issue.

Thanks Bardler and Nanoturtle for the assistance.
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can always just flip the green channel of your max bake. Not that you shouldn't be baking in xnormal anyways.