Home Technical Talk

Understanding pressure sensitivity differences?

Hi!

Something I've never quite understood is the difference between 2048 levels vs 1024 pressure levels.

For example:

Case 1: You press the pen with a given force X, which would be your medium force.

On the tablet with 2048 levels, that would translate to 1024. And on the 1024 levels tablet, that would be 512. (values are relative. On both tablets the maximum pressure level would be 100%. Since Im applying half the force, it would translate to 50% of the max pressure)

Case 2: You press with the force X again, the tablet with 2048 would register 1024, and the tablet with 1024 would register the same 1024. (values are absolute. The force you apply translates literally to the pressure level. X = 1024 in both cases).

What I want to know is whether the actual pressure registered by the computer is absolute or relative to the tablet's pressure levels.

Hard to explain.

Anyone could enlighten me on this one?

Replies

• Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    its relative. having more levels just means the tablet aproximates your pressure less. its kinda like resolution, more levels, more accuracy
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka wrote: »
    its relative. having more levels just means the tablet aproximates your pressure less. its kinda like resolution, more levels, more accuracy

So if Im using photoshop and Im pressing with the same force on both tablets, Id get the exact same result with an opacity brush, for example?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    In reality you won't actually notice the difference between 1024 and 2048 levels of sensitivity, since your body can't move that accurately
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Luka wrote: »
    This is my understanding also but something I've always wondered is how can an application like photoshop take advantage of 2048 pressure levels for opacity?

2048 pressure levels distributed between 0-100% gives you increments of about 0.09%, but photoshop doesn't deal with percentages in fractions of a percentile so isn't it just rounding to the nearest 1%? Effectively meaning you only have 100 levels of pressure sensitivity regardless of how many your tablet has?

Even if photoshop did deal with fractions of a percentage in opacity, a standard rgb image with 8 bits per channel is limited to 256 levels of output per channel so how do you cram 2048 levels of perceptable difference into that without doing weird stuff like hue shifting?
  • alfalfasprossen
    you can map your pressure to different things, not only opacity, what about changing the size of the brush... but again, you most likely will not be able to use the amazing amount of pressure levels, the marketing department likes to point you to as a selling argument
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good question.

Though I wouldnt like to go that deep into technicalities.

Actually I just wanted to make my tabletpc exactly like my intuos5. So I was wondering if I should tweak the sensitivity settings at all on the tablet pc (causa it has less levels).
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    you can map your pressure to different things, not only opacity, what about changing the size of the brush... but again, you most likely will not be able to use the amazing amount of pressure levels, the marketing department likes to point you to as a selling argument
    Yeah I'm aware of that, I was mainly asking because I wanted to know if my assumption was correct as far as opacity goes.

I figure you can probably also make use of all 2048 levels when sculpting in a 3D application because the values you're working with are much more precise.
    Actually I just wanted to make my tabletpc exactly like my intuos5. So I was wondering if I should tweak the sensitivity settings at all on the tablet pc (causa it has less levels).
    Just make sure your pressure curve profiles match. I don't think you'll be able to get them to feel exactly the same though because the pen and tablet surfaces won't be the same. You may actually need to use different curve profiles in order to get them to feel similar because of that but the curve profile is what matters not the pressure levels
  • keupon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris both told me that 2048 pressure levels were not just promo talk. Chuck Norris even told me that he won't be happy till he gets 9182000 steps.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    He probable either means 2097152, or 16777216... right?
  • keupon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never question Chuck Norris !!! You fools !!!
    ( I think that's enough Chuck Norris digression by the way - don't wanna be responsible for further kung-forum )
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    perna wrote: »
    1024/2048 is just the number of steps. The software just operates with 0-1.0 floating point values.

With regards to there being "too many" pressure steps, you're right in that the differences may be negligible. They need a higher number when they release a new product, to look good in promo. However, more than 256 steps is necessary because you only use a subset of the range, depending on your tablet sensitivity settings. As someone mentions, there's no way you can actually hit a very exact sensitivity with your hand anyway.

But yeah, essentially a bamboo has more than enough pressure sensitivity.

I noticed a huge difference between my old bamboo (512 pressure levels I think) and my intous 4(2048 levels), but I can't be sure if that was the pressure sensivity (it felt like it though.) or due to other improvements in the hardware and software. Weather or not the jump from 1024 to 2048 would have any noticeable difference I do not know.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    I noticed a huge difference between my old bamboo (512 pressure levels I think) and my intous 4(2048 levels), but I can't be sure if that was the pressure sensivity (it felt like it though.) or due to other improvements in the hardware and software. Weather or not the jump from 1024 to 2048 would have any noticeable difference I do not know.

I feel the same thing when comparing my tablet pc and my intuos.

Intuos feels pretty damn better. But I think it's just hardware differences rather than the actual sensitivity levels. I believe these guys.