Home Technical Talk

(Maya) FK/IK Switch set-up trouble

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
First time working with an FK/IK switch, so I could have easily missed something. When setting up the set-driven key, I am having trouble with one particular joint "popping" after I attempt to change it's value for the switch. This occurs only on the right hand joint when I try to change the value of the "Hand IK RW1." The rest of the set-up works fine, including the left arm.

RiggingHelp_zps5aa97759.jpg

Then try to change the value...

RiggingHelp2_zpse54f6e67.jpg

I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this without redoing the whole skeleton for the left arm. As far as I can see, all the pivots of the base, IK, and FK skeletons line up. I know there is an issue regarding orientation somewhere in the wrist rig, but I just don't know where to look for it.
Have any of you guys run into this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    In my IK/FK rig, I only blend the constraints of the shoulder and elbow joints. There is no reason for the wrist to get orientation from the arms, since the IK doesnt rotate the last joint in the chain anyway. Its usually controlled by the wrist controller (for animating)
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my IK/FK rig, I only blend the constraints of the shoulder and elbow joints. There is no reason for the wrist to get orientation from the arms, since the IK doesnt rotate the last joint in the chain anyway. Its usually controlled by the wrist controller (for animating)

Ooooohhhh! I see! That makes things so much simpler.
    I just did that and it works perfectly now. Thank you so much!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    if your driven skeleton is getting flipped when your switching the constraints, thats because it will have mismatched axis with the driver skeletons. you really should clean this up since it will more than likely cause you problems along the way when animating.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if your driven skeleton is getting flipped when your switching the constraints, thats because it will have mismatched axis with the driver skeletons. you really should clean this up since it will more than likely cause you problems along the way when animating.

See, that's what I thought the problem was before, but when I checked the skeletons, everything was matched up as far as I could tell. That's why I was so confused. However, I did find an extra orient constraint on the right wrist which didn't need to be there, so I am wondering if that might of been the culprit.
    I am going to double-check the skeletons before proceeding though, just to be safe.