Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Crit

BI0PREDAT0R
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
BI0PREDAT0R polycounter lvl 5
Hey PC so I just finished up my portfolio website looking for any last min critiques, I'm about to start applying very soon just seeing if their is anything I might of missed. Wanna get out their and start a new project very soon I learned a lot from the mistakes I made and wanna do more to add to this portfolio.

www.mathewgervais3d.com

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Your art looks pretty solid, I tried to open your CV/Resume, I don't know if it was mainly on my end but it came with with a lot of bullet points and weird formatting.
  • BI0PREDAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what did you open it with cause i opened it at my girlfriends house and it did that aswell but she was using word pad
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On your 'About' page, you are inconsistent with version numbers for software; it's included with Maya and Photoshop, but not 3ds Max; it doesn't really mean much, but you should either include all or none.

On the APC, the front 'fenders' are far more tesselated than the rest of the vehicle. The texture is also very monochromatic. Even areas which would normally have color - the tail lights and the warning stripe on the rear hatch - are very faded. You might want to experiment with a base green or tan paint scheme. In-game renders might also help, even using something as simple as a road and a skydome.

The sci-fi scene also seems largely monochromatic; aside from a few blue spots in the background, it's all red/grey. This isn't necessarily bad for a background environment, allowing the player to focus on foreground characters, you might want to consider where you can realistically add some chromatic variety.

In the street scene, the foliage above the awnings feels flat and unrealistic. It might actually be improved by thinning and reducing those plants.

I don't think the texturing of the final project, Jungle, meets the same quality of the rest of your work. The textures on the ground, cave and jeep really seem rather bland, and don't match the style of the concept. Portfolios are always judged on the weakest piece, and I feel that this piece could use another pass.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Wordpad, it seems to be the default. If you're able to you could try saving it as a PDF.
  • BI0PREDAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques Dwalker I know their are some areas I need to work on and ill be addressing them in my next porjects , and I feel your right about the jungle scene and I think I'm going to take it out :) very helpful and ill see what i can do with the other projects i did and the suggestion you made.

LMP: and thanks for the info going to do that instead