Pyr's Arts Dump thread

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Latest STUFF.

894884_10152081048980115_493052350_o.jpg
WIP-13.jpg

Original Post

Thanks for all the feedback I have received. I'm going to focus on improving my skills. A general thread will be a better solution than project-based thread. Cleaner forum :P ?

Would appreciate any help to improve.

At this point, I'm focusing on the drawing and the anatomy. I draw from pictures, and I sometimes draw from my mind, just to test myself.

At the moment, I'm mostly concerned about upper body and hips... Or lack thereof hip bones...

These next two I drew from my mind. Starting from stick figures, adding muscles and form on top.
http://gyazo.com/fe3c9168e0230a60323f915e7f638323.png
http://gyazo.com/3b1af01b9dffb3f46507bd7f08ecf7e1.png

These three I drew from pictures.
http://gyazo.com/3fc7f18baa0f6a96de849501ac5da9a4.png
http://gyazo.com/3d1694490a96a93c2f915195e12cc547.png
http://gyazo.com/c01c2f32e8a7217a5e6135769f9b70cd.png

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'd suggest if you want to understand form you should be building your figures out of construction volumes (cylinders, boxes, eggs) rather than doing contour drawings
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not very familiar with that. But I gave it a shot anyway. Kinda sorta ?

1450192_10151955593680115_1121493905_n.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Much better Pyrzern, just keep drawing and sculpting as much as possible. Also, try not to avoid drawing the hands since that will help push your understanding of the forms.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for looking ;) I'm indeed learning to draw hands without cheating. I was too bored to play Guild Wars 2, so I worked on this instead.

Fixed her cranium line.
    Drawing3.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Good start, keep drawing!

I would recommend that you draw the face and a rough indication of hair, as well. Right now, the heads seem really placeholder. You're not really drawing what you see in the photo. Instead, you put in a standard anime base head, with the typical pointy chin and shallow eye sockets. You will make much better progress if you study the person in the photo more, and try to capture their unique features.

It can be hard to identify such style habits, because they have gotten so ingrained in you and seem so normal to you. You may think you are drawing a person's actual features, but an outsider could readily tell you are drawing the same anime or cartoon face that you've always drawn.

However, here's a little trick that may help to break this habit:

-First, find a photo you would like to draw and print it out (or find something that's already on paper).

-Make a drawing based on the photo. Try to keep it more or less at the same size as the original photo.

-Then, take a new sheet of paper, and trace the photo. If it's hard to see and you don't have a light box, you can put it against the window to trace (provided that there is daylight).

-Put your initial drawing and the traced version side by side. The simplicity of the traced version allows you to see much more easily in which areas you are reverting to your style habits, rather than actually drawing what you see. You may be surprised to find how thick or thin the limbs really are, or what angles they really have, or where exactly certain muscles sit. It can be quite shocking and eye-opening at times!

-After identifying your problem areas, make a new drawing based on the photo (without looking at the traced version or your previous drawing).

-Once you've done that, you can compare your first drawing with your last one to see how you've improved.

-After that, you can make one final drawing, from the top of your head, to see how well you remember everything.

On a side note, I would like to mention that it's much better to draw from life than from a photo. A photo is already a 2D representation. It won't change perspective if you move your head a little. It's conveniently framed by the edges of the photo, and you can put it side by side with your drawing, making it much easier to just copy without really thinking.

You will learn much more drawing simple objects around your house, and draw yourself using a mirror. Draw your pet if you have one. Draw your friends! It may seem a little mundane, but it will super-power your skills!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a great advice and interesting approach/method ! Gonna try that now.

I have been using this as makeshift lightbox for awhile now, it works :P Just put LED lights inside and face it upward. Done. and Cheap.
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/413256508/DOCUMENT_BOX.jpg

Not sure I could get life model to draw, but I will try. I live by myself.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perspective is wrong with this one. Her head is too big. And she's supposed to lean back, so her waist down should be bigger. Also failed with her thighs and legs. But I think I had an easier time with her torso. It was easier to draw that part.

I will try this again. <_<"
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/ASNZern/Drawing4.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time in ZBrush today so my sculpting isn't rusty. Managed to get this far. Very slowly and very carefully. Started for a generic base male mesh grabbed from Google O o'

1400254_10151959199180115_1847432879_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't actually finish this, (face and hands) her body 's proportion is off.. I will attempt this again tomorrow.
    2315589e9dba7d98de12b96fb1bfaaeb.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a step back and deleted the highest subdiv to further refine his face structure. Now I'm a bit at a lost, not knowing what facial landmarks I miss, or how to make them better.

1400725_10151964319630115_662200333_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goodnight world.
    3de175bcf1c1deae19118299c10bf702.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You need to learn how to draw through the figure and understand the form of the figure, not just simple contour drawings. This book is really good [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Invention-Michael-Hampton/dp/0615272819"]Figure Drawing: Design and Invention: Michael Hampton: 9780615272818: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]. Also studying Bridgman is really helpful to understand form.

More than anything though you need to draw from life. You should take a figure drawing class with an instructor or find places in your area that do drawing salons. Its hard to learn how to draw the figure if you never get to see one in front of you.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point about live drawing class. I just checked around my area, there are a few groups for that, but I'm not sure if there's instructor there or not...

Note, though, there was volume drafting in my sketch, but I erased them after all is done. Should I have kept those volume lines instead ?

And thanks for the link of the book ! Looks great so def gonna check it out. Price tag, though :(
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yes, keep your draw through lines. Helps us to analyze your mark making,
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I disappeared. I started an art camp about digital sketching.

Anyway,
    So I pick one of my basemesh. Smooth-destroyed everything, then dynamesh it once. After an hour of sculpting in the muscle structure, this is what I get. Also just start using drawing tablet :(
    Gonna work lots more on her abdominal for sure.
    1400292_10152002957795115_1334325739_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using everything I have learned on this.
    Her head is a bit off proportion, but I will work even more on it.
    858588_10152005359925115_839776719_o.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Using everything I have learned on this.
    Her head is a bit off proportion, but I will work even more on it.
    858588_10152005359925115_839776719_o.jpg

The head looks a bit small on this right now.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right !! I went back to my ref board, and make adjustments around.
    Also I put up a placeholder for her hair.

I hope I am getting better.
    1461434_10152007526605115_619791509_n.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving to lower body now. This is much harder.
    893900_10152008412250115_1988020912_o.jpg

Also, ref I use. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/463448617875613061/G]
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried a dude, from the same basemesh. Gotta study a guy's anatomy more.

1401897_10152011037395115_1909040553_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Different practice from various ppl. Not aiming for likeliness right now. 1st step is to broaden my views.
    1399278_10152025233975115_624304393_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bored, so I made this guy, Belgae from Folklore. Might turn this into a project, will see.

964299_10152027350190115_1429942458_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked further on wrinkles and folds. Also adjusted silhouette and readability.
    I think I got the end of his left sleeve wrong. Wrinkles look totally off.
    1483974_10152030748670115_2014490942_o.jpg
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    One thing I can say is that your ZBrush models' heads and necks are really small
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks blinkx10. I will check proportion of the basemesh I use for this.
    But this dude does have quite small head.

folklore_conceptart_yqptn.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did increase the size of his head a bit. Also remade his shoes with hardsurface. Separated coat from from sleeves. STILL NOT HAPPY with left sleeve wrinkles :( I quite like his right sleeve, but his left sleeve is so much trouble >_<"

1421259_10152033516880115_496095819_o.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do like the shoes and the coat wrinkles have nice transitions. I say just keep pushing it and in time it'll look fantastic!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying :)

Retop his hat. Add more details to shoes and the cane. Mermaid next. Then back to his left sleeve.
    1492364_10152044619835115_155769456_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do need to learn technique to create fine details...

A few hours in so far.
    1507409_10152060529585115_358467019_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done blocking in. Will adjust proportions, and clean up.
    Also gonna try this for bandages. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178522-Mummy-Wraps-Bandages-Technique-with-SliceCurve-amp-Panel-Loops

902560_10152061985935115_1879777511_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just letting y'all know, the new bandages turn out quite nice.
    1487732_10152062443770115_721224833_o.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job with the wraps.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :)

Armwraps look a little off from the concept. Legwraps look sloppy, lol. Torsowraps could use some more work, obviously ;P Will also retopo her torso garment.
    1507041_10152066691865115_2123680365_n.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird. Was using Transpose Master to adjust overall shape and proportions... It works fine, except the process skips the one most important subtool, the main body !

Edit: Oh, maybe because I had portions of the basemesh hidden...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fine details >_<"
    WIP-13.jpg
    WIP-14.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to her face. Might change her facewraps a bit.
    1502737_10152071192470115_129443074_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly running out of idea on what, and also how, to improve.

Mhmmm, how to best upload a turntable vid/gif.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152074739595115&l=2868889457820179907
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinking how to best do this in Low-Res
    WIP-22Breakdown.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hair still feels lumpy. Define more strands / planes of the hair.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out. (surprised it wasn't obvious to me at the time)...
    Did a first pass on her hair. Gonna have to look up samurai's hair flow for this.
    1519107_10152075635160115_1148706414_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second pass on her hair. Probably gonna merge hair subtools and zremesh it before the 3rd pass.
    737311_10152077068975115_833644435_o.jpg
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man.

Don't take this the wrong way cause it's probably going to come off as really harsh. But you got to learn to walk before you can run.

You've got a huge issue with anatomy in general. The best thing you could do for yourself is to go checkout a bunch of medical anatomy books from the library or anatomy for artists books. If you have the money buy an ecorche off anatomytools.com.

Then spend the next year studying and memorizing human anatomy. Sculpt it, draw it, say the names of muscles aloud as you do so. Learn the shapes and volumes of muscle groups and how they interlock into each other.

If you do this and put enough time and effort into really learning it I promise you will see huge leaps and bounds in your artistic ability. If you learn the fundamentals of human anatomy you can then move on to character design, shape language etc. Even if you design a monster the anatomy has to be based in reality, if it doesn't it won't look right. It's one of the main differences between an amateur and professional artist.

Bottom line is that no matter how cool a character idea is it will fall apart and look like shit if the anatomy underneath doesn't support the design structure. But a weak character idea will still hold up strong if the underlying anatomy supports it.

Stop doing full characters, focus on male and female naked forms.

Good luck.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dwgagner, thanks for the harsh truth. It is needed !
    You are right about anatomy, as many times I have no idea if what I make is right or is off proportion or not. I just trying my best to match the concept art and the references, but surely having the knowledge and understanding is gonna be better.

I will do more of anatomy practice, but I can't just stop making characters. It's how I learn technique and approach to sculpting. And Monthly Noob Char Challenges and GameArtisans' ComiCon Challenge will start on the 1st as well. That's gonna be great learning experience.
    593533.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I would just say slow down a bit PyrZern. You won't learn as much speeding through the whole process. I don't know exactly how long you have been working on it, but I am only seeing post about it for a week or so. It's a lot more beneficial to go through it slowly. Make sure each piece is as good as it can be. You have a good start here and you are improving, but you should take this back to anatomy and get it right. Having that stuff down before makes everything else fall into place. Also I would get rid of the face mask for now. It is just allowing you to hide the face and not deal with all of the issues with it. Keep it up!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks steve,
    I have been doing box modeling for 1-2 yrs. Maybe a few months with ZBrush. Each piece I make usually take 2-4 weeks, some only sculpt, some are full game-res models.
    I agree with not hiding the face with a mask though. I will see if I can make the mask half hanging, maybe wind blows it open or something, to show the face underneath. Or she pulls the mask down under her chin.

Added:
    Right, I have yet to show her face underneath. I was pushing her face in a little bit when I was making the tight face wraps. So, now I'm fixing that >_<" Shouldn't have done it, gah !!
    1492611_10152079076590115_1695424160_o.jpg
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Hey so I know you want to keep moving forward doing characters and you can certainly get better doing so however keep in mind that it will take you a lot longer since you won't be focusing on anatomy as much as you would be if that's all you concentrated on improving.

I went ahead and did a paint over on your face because there are a lot of problems that need addressing.

Here is a gif with my suggested changes.

critiquegif.gif

Notes:

You should find a lot of good reference for facial proportions and use it while sculpting. Your face in general is elongated vertically more than it should be. The mouth / nose area feels like it's melting off her head. The ears are placed too far back and too low on her skull. The jaw area feels like there's no jaw bone underneath the skin. The lips and mouth are feeling very small in comparison with the rest of her face. The nose is very long vertically and in extrusion from the face giving a mannish feel from the side / perspective view. The ridge above the eye should make a smoother transition to the forhead and the shapes of the eyes are not feeling human. The neck is too long and narrow and the way you've sculpted the sternocleidomastoideus muscle feels like it's not going to connect to the collar bone.

Always use anatomy reference whenever you are sculpting. If you're free balling it without looking at reference you're either not learning anything or feel you're better than Michelangelo level as far as anatomy mastery :P.

Keep at it, good luck.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dwgagner, thanks so much for the help man. Really appreciate the time you put into this. I realized her neck was too thin from the front, so I checked back and saw your post. Needless to say, I pulled up my ref right away.

Some ref I use are...
    1f219c6552ffa294ccaf7ca572380331.jpg

Anyway, I'm now slightly concerned if my perception of beauty is twisted or warped or not.

I fixed some immediate issues at hands before crashing for the night. She looks like a totally different person now ! (I can't tell if for better or worse) She looks more... generic ? I would love to one day be able to go for unique face and still anatomically correct. I mean, there must be a reason why most pretty female chars in videogames have very similar faces. (now I am more concerned than earlier about my perception)

1506098_10152079862895115_572445319_o.jpg

See you all when I wake up, and I will take a look at all this again with fresh eyes.