Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zimmy scene [WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
Trying to get that cartoonish style. Did the outlines with normal push method. I'm not sure if it's a bit too colorful or not though.

C&C welcome.

KQcfdBL.jpg

Replies

• Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No replies xO It's okay I guess. Made a character that I think would fit with the rest of the style. Not rigged yet, but has high polygon count because of the outline clone.

ff7h6mo.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    This is absolutely amazing! The colors you got now are great, just be careful so you dont get to much color in there. I mean so it doesn't get all cluttered and looks all messy, so keep the saturation levels as they are, I love it. Also you should add more props, definitely stuff hanging from the roof would be awesome.

The alien himself is really cool, and I think you could do well with making a female version as well. And lastly, were is all that food and drinks coming from? Because the front wall sort off looks like a reception to a big office, but the rest looks like a fast food diner. So I would make it either an office or a fast food diner, to unify it you know, just my two cents. Keep it up! ^^

Best regards Nuke.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    The only thing giving this away as not just being a really good 2D illustration is the funky smoothing on the orangetooth(?) on the back wall. Other than that I think this is awesome, can't wait to see more!
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, this looks pretty cool, but personally I don't dig that orange and the way it combines with the rest of the scene. Also, Zim cartoons were darker and a bit more subdued in the color palette.
    The character's proportions seem a bit off too. If I were making this type of scene, I would make him less smooth and less sturdy-looking, especially the legs.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is absolutely amazing! The colors you got now are great, just be careful so you dont get to much color in there. I mean so it doesn't get all cluttered and looks all messy, so keep the saturation levels as they are, I love it. Also you should add more props, definitely stuff hanging from the roof would be awesome.

The alien himself is really cool, and I think you could do well with making a female version as well. And lastly, were is all that food and drinks coming from? Because the front wall sort off looks like a reception to a big office, but the rest looks like a fast food diner. So I would make it either an office or a fast food diner, to unify it you know, just my two cents. Keep it up! ^^

Best regards Nuke.

Hey thanks for taking the time to CC man. Yeah, the original style doesn't have much funky colors. I'll rearrange the colors so it doesn't look like a kindergarden canteen. I'm adding more props as we speak, then I'll move on to more alien models. I'll have to fix the desk later.

HMvpvJ7.jpg
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing giving this away as not just being a really good 2D illustration is the funky smoothing on the orangetooth(?) on the back wall. Other than that I think this is awesome, can't wait to see more!

I will probably change it to something more 3D later on rather than a 2.5D relief image. It's just a placeholder for now.

HS13C5D.jpg
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saigo wrote: »
    Hey, this looks pretty cool, but personally I don't dig that orange and the way it combines with the rest of the scene. Also, Zim cartoons were darker and a bit more subdued in the color palette.
    The character's proportions seem a bit off too. If I were making this type of scene, I would make him less smooth and less sturdy-looking, especially the legs.

Oh no I'm not trying to do the exact Zim. His antennas are black and thinner, this is just a practice for zim-like alien style. Btw, do you mean the oversaturated orange color or the thing behind the counter ?
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, do you mean the oversaturated orange color or the thing behind the counter ?

Orange in general. I think there's too much of it. The character should probably contrast with the environment a bit more.
    On a side note, I really dig the props you made.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saigo wrote: »
    Orange in general. I think there's too much of it. The character should probably contrast with the environment a bit more.
    On a side note, I really dig the props you made.

I'll desaturate some colors and reduce orange in te next render. Thx for the prop compliment btw :) heres another one. This would be something like a floating ad you'd see near the foodstores.
    J4mqXsR.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great.

The last update I'd say make all those super brights inverted, I am going blind with that yellow, pink, neon green. Also too much pink near the smile making some parts black and or grey/gray or another color might help.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    This is looking great.

The last update I'd say make all those super brights inverted, I am going blind with that yellow, pink, neon green. Also too much pink near the smile making some parts black and or grey/gray or another color might help.

Oh I forgot to turn off the diffuse channel. Normally it looks like this.

p57Qh9n.jpg