Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bar/Tavern interior scene

Hello Polycount, I have recently started to pick up 3D again after almost 3 years out. I have went back to the basics and modelled a scene in Softimage based on a concept piece. I am in the later stages of my personal project and about to go on a weeks break so I figured now would be a good time to receive some feedback for when I return. Any comments and critiques are welcome.

fable-location-concept-art-9120.jpg

I have been working to this concept piece by Damian Buzugbe. The piece was created for the 2004 Xbox game Fable.

roomfinalrenderpng.png

And this is what I have created so far. Again I have used Softimage and rendered using mental ray. There are some minor adjustments and still some tweaks to be made (lighting etc). I am open to any suggestions on how to improve.

Replies

• Erafic
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    It looks neat, though I think you could still do a lot with the models. The silhouettes are very straight on everything whilst on your concept picture the beams, walls and stove seem like they've settled a bit with the house, giving the silhouette a lot more interesting shapes. In the same manner I think your textures could use a little more roughness to them, the door on the right seems like it got a more rugged look than the beams above them on your picture.

But it looks good so far, give it a go and see if you can break up some of those straight silhouettes =)
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great so far. I'm bad at critiques but I'll give it a shot.

For starters, in the concept it looks like the two side doors have hinges on them, but on yours I can't seem to see any. This leads me to my next point, why not try adding some more lights?

It seems a bit dark and I think it should be somewhat dark, but maybe some candles on the tables wouldn't hurt.

The concept appears more "lived in" whereas the 3D environment appears more "abandoned" this is, as the above poster mentioned, because of the silhouettes. You can also make it look more "lived in" by adding some bottles/plates/etc on the tables and counter tops.

The walls on the left look a bit empty, maybe a good place to put a trophy or a rifle of some kind.

The concept makes it look like a "home/welcome/friendly" type of environment but iirc bars in Fable were filled with angry drunk people (I honestly don't remember haha.)

If you want to go for the welcome style, then maybe adding a mat/small carpets or the owner's pet dog/cat/bird/giraffe would make it look more family oriented.

If you want to make it look like a place where drunk people go to kick the **** out of each other, then you'd probably want to knock some stuff over (chairs, bottles, etc.), make the paintings crooked, etc.

Anyway, I love it so far, can't wait to see where you go with this. Good luck!
  • AndrewD
    @Erafic I agree, things are too neat and tidy ATM. I have access to Sculptris so I can take things into there and bash them up a little.

@NegevPro That's some good critique. The doors lack hinges ATM as does the bar. I have added some lights off the edges of the screen but I do think it needs more. I did think of having candles on the tables but i wasn't too sure whether I would begin moving away from the concept too much. Again with your other points they did cross my mind but I held back. Your points are definitely a step in the right direction and I will work on adding more clutter etc.
  • AndrewD
    A bit of progress. Been busy the past few weeks with a short holiday and work. Been working in Sculptris (for the first time). Worked on making the beams less straight, tweaked materials and lighting. Finished for the day with this.

roomwithsculptsprogress.png

On a side note: the lights above the tables at this stage are placeholders for where candles will be.
  • AndrewD
    Added a few props and modified some textures. I keep finding myself playing around with the lighting, shadows etc. Still working on it. Any suggestions? advice? This is where I am currently at:

roomwithsculptsprogress2.png
  • AndrewD
    Update, a few texture changes, sculpts and lighting. The new lighting captures the intended atmosphere but may be a little too dark.

roomfinalrender2.png