Home Technical Talk

3ds max squash and strech limb

Mrfred
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mrfred polycounter lvl 4
Hey, im trying to build a rig that strech and squash.

Overall its pretty easy to do, but i havent found a solution that would allow me to squash ik limb.

I found a few solution, like using morpher or using a fake skeleton to drive and deform squash but i'm not really satisfied with both solution :/

What id like to do is to achieve this using joint/ bone based only deformations...

Anyone got a clue ?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Just use a Float Script on the Y and Z of the limb. (Assuming X is the direction to the next bone.

originalUpperArmLength / (distance UpperArm ForeArm)

You can leave inherit scale on for the ForeArm so that you don't need to use more FloatScripts on there. But turn it off for the hands and/or fingers.

squashIK.gif
  • Mrfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfred polycounter lvl 4
    I tried this before posting this thread, the issue with solution is that id like to be able to squash without bending the arm
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I feel like I'm misunderstanding, because bending the arm is the "hard" part. If you don't want it to bend, don't use IK. Use a LookAt Constraint on the upper arm, and a position constraint on the elbow. But you do the squash calculation the exact same way.

Here's an example saved as a Max 2010 file, I even added an upper limit to the squash since it can potentially scale to infinity:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2904948/Tutorials/SquashLimb.max

BTW, in this file I turned off inherit scale for the Forearm and Hand, and then wired the Forearm scale to the Upper arm. I shouldn't need to do that, but it was only getting half the scale value for some reason.
  • Mrfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfred polycounter lvl 4
    still not exactly what I want, I want the limb to bend like an IK but still be able to squash it if needed,

Just found out that the dee rigs got this option, i'm gonna look at how it's done... looks like i'll have to extract some CA
    Many thanks :)

edit: haha actually it's fairly easy, didn't even had to check some CA, all I had to to is to unhide some stuff...

you have to link some node to the IK/FK blend system and then skin those node instead of the bone inside the blend system, then you drive the scale using some CA

Now I feel dumb :)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Glad you found a solution! Here is a link to Dee Rig for people that search later: http://www.creativecrash.com/3dsmax/downloads/character-rigs/c/dee-rig