Home Technical Talk

UDK Scale problem?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
So I finally want to give making a udk scene a shot! But for some reason 3dsmax exports the meshes to small or something? I kept the rule of thumb that a male is about 96 unit tall, this is where I based my scene blockout on.But the problem is, for some reason it's to small when I place it in my UDK scene..

Did something change in the later releases of the udk?

I also made a 256x256 cube in max that I exported, and it matches a udk made 256x256 block.

Help pls :c

Replies

• alfalfasprossen
    the size of the player depends on the gameType you use in your map. So the size is not always 96 units, i don't know which game mode has the size that fits better for your purpose, but there were for sure already threads asking the same question ;)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    The player size is camera height is different in different game types for 96 unit use one of the ut game types, or make your own game type, player controller and player pawn classes.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Yup that did the trick :p
    It's been a while since I did something with the udk, and really can't remember putting in a gamemode..

But thanks anyways guys!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    You cant use normal measurements.
    Its all about feeling.

I have created a character 183 Units high, in the console i use a command to set another camera heigth (x2.4). (Important is that camera level is not always eye level)

FoV 85-90 degrees for Pc is good.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA"]EPISODE 29 FOV in Games part1 - YouTube[/ame]

When i look in the environment its to small! Rooms must nearly double the size horizontal and good 66% bigger for vertical for the "feeling". When i go to the window the original window board feels wrong because its to near, when i use another heigth it can be looks ugly from far away.

In the end its all about tradeoffs. Make a mesh from your apartment room, and try to create a model with the right "feeling".

My personal reference is horizontal +100%, vertical +66%, for rooms with a fov of 90 degrees.