Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mithrodin Sword

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mjeruzal polycounter lvl 5
Hello there! I'm totally new to the game art and 3D Graphics at all and this is my first project that I have to made for my studies. Here is reference photo that I use for modeling - link. Textures and color scheme was inspired by weapons in Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Tell me what you think about it. Criticism indicated ;)
bBC2ntz.png
nSqqDPl.png

I've also uploaded turntable to YouTube but I don't know why quality is so poor :/
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFOBuQE_85U"]3D Mithrodin Sword - turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I like it :D
    But try to use a gloss map next time, it makes material definition a lot easier. For example, that metall should gloss much more as it glosses at the moment.
    Also you could color the spec map yellowish, to give the bras a slightly golden shine.
    It seems, that you didn't touched the diffuse a lot, get some variation in here.
    It seems, that your edges of the Highpoly are way too hard. Soften them up a bit.
    Overall solid work!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I think you should revisit your spec a bit more, you need more contrast in the blade details to really make it pop. Very interesting shapes, and the other texture work looks solid, another pass at the spec should make this look really cool.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    In the future you should orient UV islands so they're not at odd angles to prevent aliasing—they're also easier to work with. For a sword you would probably want to look at 2:1 texture ratios too, then you might not have to break the blade into 2 islands (which makes texturing harder and costs more vertices)

Are you sure you enabled specular in toolbag? Or did you just have the sharpness + amount really low?
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    This is awesome. Great job on all aspects.