Home General Discussion

I need some 3ds Max Tuts!

Hello everyone, I just got 3D studio max 2014, I am brand new to it, I am coming from using Blender 3D.

I was wondering if somebody could point me to some really helpful 3D studio max beginner tutorials they found helpful, does anyone know of any good Max from Blender tutorials? I saw there was max to Maya ones.

I am Googling them, but maybe you guys know of some really great tutorials for first time 3D studio Max users, especially ones I may have a hard time finding.

Replies

• AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my God.. 3D Studio Max is beautiful... *tear* I figured out some of the functions I used to used to use in Blender and watched some videos and I am very very impressed, I seriously doubt I will go back to Blender now.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    There's a tutorial for just about everything in Max on youtube ;-)

Also check out digital tutors, 3dmotive, eat3d.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    seriously, what do people have against google ??
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've got money to spare i can recommend Digital Tutors
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    And there is 3DBuzz.com as well.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I agree a lot of questions can be answered by a search engine, often what you get might not be the best place to go to, it might be popular or even done a little bit of promotion to get top listings but sometimes its easier to go straight to people who have already sifted through the big pile of garbage and found what they needed.

I can't count the times I've checked out an well done but obscure tutorial that someone put together and then had trouble finding it again via google and not been able to turn anything up. Now I bookmark all of that and tag the crap out of the bookmarks so I can find them again.

EDIT:
    Don't forget about the max help files, they really are actually really helpful. They put a lot of effort into them and it shows. There are a lot of tutorials for all levels and they publish a lot of content video and otherwise on the Area, their blogs and on their youtube channels.

The help files are really well done and document almost everything inside of max in really good detail. If you're wondering what a button does, hit F1 search for it and it will tell you exactly what it does, how to use it and probably have an example.

Also if you're on max2014 it has a build in search and execute feature.
    Max%20Search.jpg
    Press X, type the first few letters of what you want and it creates a list with possibilities. It will even pull up scripts that you have installed.

This is helpful when you're following an old tutorial and something might have changed in max and you can't find it. Or if you just don't feel like digging deep into max's lower bowel to to trigger a tool. This keeps me from cluttering up my UI with that kind of stuff.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Mark Sums it up pretty well and if you read my post properly, I did mention that I am using Google. :)
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which of the Digital tutor sites is the best for beginners? I really like 3D motive so far. those guys do seem to be pretty thorough.
    All suggestions for great free material is very appreciated also, I am living on a budget. Thanks. :)

I signed up for a month of 3D motive.