Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Radial Symmetry also Mirrored?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
So I'll try to explain this the best I can -

I've been trying to use zbrush for my hard surface needs for a while now and one issue I have repeatedly encountered is the lack of mirroring in the radial symmetry options, for example:

ZbrushRadialmirror.jpg

In the above image I am trying to achieve the orange shape. Using radial symmetry I currently have to sculpt the green and blue sections separately which obviously introduces inconsistencies which are especially frustrating in smooth hard surface objects. I'd like to sculpt on one side and have the result both mirrored and also adhering to radial symmetry. Am I just being an idiot and missing an option or is Zbrush missing this feature? If it is does anyone know of a script or workaround for it?

Thanks in advance! (apologies for the shoddy paintover :))

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Yeah good question.

The only hacky way I know out of this situation is in deformation> smart resym

What that will do is average out the sculpt on either side of the axis though. If you read the tool tip on it,( hover mouse over it and hit ctrl), it'll mention masking etc. What that is used for/does isn't going to be the application you want here either.

Would be nice to know a better way.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe this can help you, but I think you've already seen this video, or?

http://pixologic.com/video/video-v2-zcr.php?videoname=http://www.pixologic01.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lessons/videos/projection-master/sebastien-legrain-part-4.f4v&w=1000&h=625

Another option would be to export your current shield into another model program, for example max and then use the array/symmetry stuff there to place your spikes, so you just have to fix some of them or make them unique in ZBrush. But I think it's not the best way and there might still be a feature within ZBrush that helps you ^^
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    could also do it with an alpha and radial symmetry
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the advice guys, using alphas/projection master/another 3d package would probably work but I was really after something a little more tactile, it would be good to be able to experiment with proportions without having to go through a 5 minute process to get a result. I continued to mess around and the best result I got was using smart resym as Ghogiel suggested. I'd always figured it would only work on world symmetry but it seems to work on brush symmetry? If "mirror and weld" worked with radial symmetry then the process would be perfect but alas it doesn't :(

I've outlined a quick workflow for anyone else who's wondering:

Radialsymmetrytutorial.jpg

It gives you nice feedback while you sculpt (it only takes a few seconds to do the process) but it feels super hacky and you get a lot of artifacts from the resym, I think the more sub divisions the more artifacts you'd get as well ಠ_ಠ so if anyone has anymore input I'd be happy to hear it!