Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SCI-FI Tram Station

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
LaurentiuN interpolator
Hello guys and girls:),
i`m almost done with this piece. Concept - http://razorb.deviantart.com/art/Tram-Station-149685881?q=gallery%3ARazorb%2F2917004&qo=14

I want to make a camera walkthrouh in the end but there are places for improvements so....

...Comments and critics are welcome.

Used: 3ds max 2011; Photoshop; dDo; Xnormal; Handplane and UDK

Some screens from UDK.

xsod.png

pdxd.png

ja3x.png

7zx1.png

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice! It reminds me of Half-Life 2 with the color scheme and the lighting.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Thanks Doug, some HP prtscr...

turr.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6pbb.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vb9w.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

c7py.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2vk2.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gwk1.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only 3ds max.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
  • blinKX10
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    Everything looks awesome man, my only crit. is that the far wall in the last screenshot seems a tad bit repetitive
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Looking cool.
    I would say you need a bit of colour in lighting to break it up at the moment. It would also worked extremely well if you added some depth fog and dust particles as it would show of the whole dirty scifi thing more.

A red light might look cool at the end of the tram tunnel.....

It's not scifi unless you go nuts with bloom also...
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Thanks mates for C&C i will definitely break up the wall tile and add dust, fog, lighting color and other stuff to it. More to come...
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Hey dude. So, beyond what others have said I think what bothers me most about your environment is simply the choice of scene! To be honest a sci fi hallway such as this is as bland and cookie-cutter as you can get in terms of environment art. In order to increase viewer interest you need to add elements that create a sense of "surprise". Such as unique forms of architecture, visual representations of an event that happened in this space, etc. While you have succeeded in creating a relatively nice small scene, you still need to create elements that will make it not seem so boring to the viewer! ^^ Hope that helps
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    For your train station scene Id go and really try and match the concepts lighting intensity, its a very strong contrast from very bright to medium...also get those hologram signs in there, the scene needs that orange color to break it up..also get some floor and wall decals to add some grittiness to it.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    now that I look at it again, looks like you have a few signs up..maybe match the angle of your scene to the view of the concept
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    TheRealFroman - Thanks for feedback, i will try to create some unique elements in there to be more interesting.
    snake85027 - the post process is not done yet, still wip and for the decals i will add them soon. Thanks in advance.
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    overall nicely done, i'm detecting a bit of dead space inspiration too which is always awesome :)

after taking it in all initially the thing that jumps at me is the textures having that generic procedural dDo look. I would say throw in some photo sourced texturing, like some vertical leaks going down the wall panels or just interesting textural shapes/elements that take away from that standard dDo look and give the surfaces some real character.

Also on a side note, gonna have to respectfully disagree with:
    a sci fi hallway such as this is as bland and cookie-cutter as you can get in terms of environment art. In order to increase viewer interest you need to add elements that create a sense of "surprise". Such as unique forms of architecture, visual representations of an event that happened in this space, etc.

Why try to reinvent the wheel, especially when doing a portfolio to apply to a job? A sci-fi hallway might be an ostensibly overdone environment art trope, but when you're a cook, you get tested by whether you know how to make an omelette or not without messing it up! I say a fantastic sci-fi hallway is a great addition to your environment art portfolio. Just make sure it's really well done.

for instance if you had something in your portfolio of this level of quality i don't think anyone would care if you're following an over-done theme or not:
    http://i.imgur.com/Bc8Sv6r.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    hi guys, Need some help.
    i have a problem with my skeletal mesh door, when i use the weapon to fire, it gives me some kind of ugly lighting and shadows, i dont know if it supposed to do this. Check attach. Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to convert my light to dominant light.