Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help for university application

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AlexKuhn polycounter lvl 4
Hello, Polycount people!

since this is my first post on this forum, I´d like to shortly introduce myself. I am 19 years old and currently trying to get into university. For the application I need a portfolio and I hope that you can give me some advice for that. Here are some examples of my work so far. Do you think my skilllevel is good enough to apply for university? I have no clue.
To be honest, you are the first people ever to see this, because I never showed it to anyone :poly136: (except my family). I want that education so bad but I don´t know how to stand out from the masses of applicants.

So here are the examples.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Just curious what school this is for? My situation was a bit different, but our school just wanted a short portfolio of drawings to get in. With that said, it was extremely easy to get in.

Just curious though, why goto school if you're capable of self teaching yourself? You have all the resources online to learn(tons of amazing tutorials) as well as a bunch of online communities that can critique and help you grow as an artist. My college experience was pretty good. But if I had a chance to do it all over again, I'd have just stayed home and learned 3D and put together a portfolio for a year myself and saved all the money school costed(Toooo much). I say this because 50% of what I knew as a graduate of a 3D program were things I learned myself, on my own time. The other 50% are basic things I could have learned on my own in a few days anyway, and other things that were a waste of time and didn't pertain to my focus(environment/props). School is still a decent route to go, but just some food for thought.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Hard to comment on it's quality in regards to your application as everywhere has different standards. A lot of people I was at Uni with had never even used a 3D application before but imo my course was a waste of time.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I think it really differs from University to University the requirements and expectations.

When I applied I had no 3d at all, and just hand drawings from my college work and I got a spot (however my course was fairly new and it seemed they pretty much had an open door policy)

I would say with most courses like mine they teach you from the ground up and if you're already able to model characters like that you'll look amazing amongst a load of newbies with no 3d experience at all.

With your current work I'll say its just the texturing that could do with a bit more work. The king warrior could do with some more wear and tear, looks a bit too clean.

Good luck with the application.
  • AlexKuhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your reply.

@CharlieD it is not only for one particular school but I think it is clear that I want to do something like character design or environment design. I don´t want to go to a private school because I can not afford it. I live in Germany and studying is for free at some universities. But it is difficult to get into those I think...

@JamesMeader Thank you for the "some more wear/ tear" advice. It is exactly what I was thinking. But I worry more about the proportions I think they are not right, are they?
    And I will try to improve my texturing. I guess I focused too much on sculpting/modeling in the past :D
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Your works better then most second years from when I was at University, and in some cases third years.... You'll be fine and just keep on practicing; the experience of education is great but a degree doesn't mean anything without the portfolio... take a look at the "Advanced modelling WIP - Uni" thread here on the P&P forum... you'll know what I mean.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Honestly I think your best bet would be to actually contact the head lecturers on the courses you are thinking of applying to and asking them.
  • AlexKuhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave Jr Yes I saw that thread and I know what you mean. But the thing is that some universities are accepting everyone if they pay good money.

@Boozebeard I actually was at the university and wasted a whole day drving just to get there. I showed them my stuff but they did not really give good advice and I just can´t estimate how good other applicants are.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    take a look at the "Advanced modelling WIP - Uni" thread here on the P&P forum... you'll know what I mean.

Getting a feeling that thread will become a legend to the polycount community haha.
    AlexKuhn wrote: »
    But I worry more about the proportions I think they are not right, are they?
    And I will try to improve my texturing. I guess I focused too much on sculpting/modeling in the past :D

I'm not the best when it comes to human anatomy but honesty no obvious problems stick out to me.

Good that you're doing sculpting, didnt touch ZBrush until I was in 2nd year.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your king seems rather squat, somewhere around 5 heads tall. Normal humans are ~7.5 heads tall, while those in games tend to be 8-9. This is a useful reference chart, but you can find other examples by searching for "human proportions":
    prop_var.gif

The arms & legs of the satyr seem too thin. The head seems a bit small; keep in mind that a properly proportioned goat head will be longer than an equivalent human one. The shape of the hooves is odd; keep in mind that they should be cloven into two main pieces:
    Sayer+Illustrations.jpg
  • AlexKuhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    Your king seems rather squat, somewhere around 5 heads tall. Normal humans are ~7.5 heads tall, while those in games tend to be 8-9. This is a useful reference chart, but you can find other examples by searching for "human proportions":
    prop_var.gif

The arms & legs of the satyr seem too thin. The head seems a bit small; keep in mind that a properly proportioned goat head will be longer than an equivalent human one. The shape of the hooves is odd; keep in mind that they should be cloven into two main pieces:
    Sayer+Illustrations.jpg

This is just what I needed. Thanks!
  • AlexKuhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I improved the proportions of the warrior guy and added some stuff. I also retextured some parts. If there is still something wrong with it, please tell me. Also tips for better design would be great.