Home General Discussion

close shave

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
was in the north east visiting family ( live in london) and was zooming down the A1 at 200 mph when the fan belt on my car literally snapped. got a battery warning first then smoke started pouring from the engine( was in the fast lane) and then I lost power steering, but managed to steer my car into flo's cafe near blyth
162632_188092811202320_4135433_n.jpg

At least my daughter enjoyed the experience ie red breakdown truck and she got to talk to me for a change

but yeah got back at 8 o clock after nearly 11 hours on the road. I am pleased to get back to sitting on my ass all day doing 3d:)

Replies

• Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    you were speeding with your daughter in the car?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I was joking Kitty. we were going fairly fast , 200 mph was an exagguration
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P just checking
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    woz a bit scary though:/ it was just one of those days, but it was actually nice to be driven home as the weather was awful.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least you managed to get it under control :)
    yep the weather is pretty shite at the moment.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Had that happen in my Jeep once going up a pretty significant hill, except it didn't quite snap cleanly. Part of it shredded along the length and there was a long, rubber string hanging off that started going WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP against the hood at 2200 rpm.

Yeah, that was fun.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Oh yes the sudden high speed belt snap.
    Remember kids if you have a performance car make sure the person who sold it to you put a good quality accessory belt... and the person who fixes your engine block after said belt snapped puts in another good belt or it also fails one week later... yay
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ruz wrote: »
    I was joking Kitty. we were going fairly fast , 200 mph was an exagguration

Yeah, the very maximum you can get away with a child present is 190 :thumbup:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha torch, the only way my car would go that fast is attached to a hot air ballon and then dropped from a great height.

The scariest thing was the loss of the power steering, you can barely turn the wheel
    GarageBay9 - yeah, mine was till 'fwapping' around when I opened her up.

shit I have to get it fixed now, what a pain
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that could have been a lot worse, I'm glad you're ok!

My first pickup (1993 Toyota) didn't have power steering and was a manual transmission, it came that way from the factory. The previous owner had it special ordered, paid cash and then traded it in a few months later and it sat with just over 1k miles on it until I bought it in 97, ha. It looked great but drove like a tank on pedal power.

I got used to it after a few weeks and it only was an issue when going slow and turning, which was every time I parked it, ha!

It made driving my girlfriends "Geo Storm" feel as touchy as an indycar.
    "Yes I meant to do a 180 on a one lane road, I umm forgot something at home"
    "Yes! We MUST get off the freeway RIGHT NOW... from the fast lane..."

I have fond memories of it but I don't miss driving it...
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that Ruz. Nobody should ever have to find themselves in Blyth for any reason - I sympathise with your pain ;)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    When I first read the title, I thought this was related to Movember somehow.

Glad to hear everything is ok mate!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was expecting a thread about facial hair...im dissppointed.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Mark, yeah my neighbour is a mechanic so he is goling to fix it for us. I tried reparking it this moring and my arms are still aching
    from trying to turn the steering wheel

ha ha FAT_CAP it was actually blyth services or near enough which is near newark, but we had actually been driving around newcastle/gateshead earlier in the day.

Prophecies,Visceral sorry to disappoint:)