Home Technical Talk

Math Problem!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Judgement45 polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone,

I seem to be having a math issue. I am trying to create an arena of sorts that is circular. It has 31 segments and I want it to match up exactly. So basically what I did:

360 \ 31 = 11.61290322580645

I know I am missing something to this equation and I just cannot seem to ask it the right way. Here is the problem:

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any reason to have 31 segments? Why not 32 or even better 36?
  • Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally it was because it was easier to work with a segment that was centered on an axis, but I realize now how dumb that was... Now breaking it up into 36 segments and then it will just rotate at a perfect 11.25, how UDK likes it. Thank you for the quick response. I don't know what my brain was doing...
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I think that's the reason, maybe it's also to do with uncertainty regarding of how many decimels it actually use.
    If it rounds up something like his first example with 360 \ 31 = 11.61290322580645 , and instead it uses the full number, it uses the rounded up number of 11.612, you could expect some inaccuracy. I must admit I prefer 'clean' numbers, then those who goes on forever, like 1.33333333333 :)
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    36 isn't power of two, so it's not as divisible as 32.

But 36 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36 whereas 32 is divisible by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. Or is is because you can keep halving 32 all the way down to 1 so it's easier to work with segments?

I would like to know what your stance is on this. Thanks :)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    perna wrote: »
    Not sure why Wiki says 36 is better though. Because it divides by 10? We're comfortable with base 10, but it's a mathematically weak number.
    Just because it has no floating point :).
    If he wants to merge those meshes before he exports into a game engine theres no need to use angles with a power of 2.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent!

So if you needed to split something into thirds (and lower) then 36 would be a better option than 24 as you can divide it many more ways for better flexibility.

Thanks again :)
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys have some suggestions on how to deal with modelling a soccer stadium? Seat placement and direction in the corners of the stadium are especially difficult.

iterior-desain_stadion-12.jpg
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    11.25.. When I made arenas that was the magic number.

When I made arenas with odd corners, I would make North and West ends first, and they would extend a bit beyond where I need to cut at the corner.

In this case the radius of both North and West look the same. I would make North first, then dupe and put that at West. Then dupe another and put that at the corner, rotate to 45deg (ROTATE OFF WHERE NORTH AND WEST MEET!!) and cut North and West. Hard part will be getting the radius of that curved area correct.

Sometimes it did not look exact because I could not get the angle PERFECT on some elliptical arenas. So... I just fudged it. I targeted the large details like having EXACT number of entryways/exits, proper press boxes and such. It will be filled with people.. some things you can not see after that.

Making arenas, just establish the math for how things will be made, and follow all the way through. I had standard numbers for step down to types. And if they mixed (retractable to fixed to ???) then my numbers still added up correct.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Radius of East is very different it seems, so in this case I would make North, West and East ends.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seat placement... Get the standard size of the seat and then dupe on splines to the number you need. That should be the last step when making an arena/stadium.
  • Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the info guys. It's working out great for me now.