Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Sci-fir corridor environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mnphear polycounter lvl 9
Hya guys!

I've been watching the monthly noob challenge concept thread and i stumbled upon something i liked.

So this is the concept i worked from:
5ubdthd.jpg

And this is the wip i'm working on:
screengrab.jpg

I know that the pillars are way off, but i just wanted to make an environment in unity that looks kind of good.

So please comment :)

Replies

• srivignesh
    Offline / Send Message
    srivignesh polycounter lvl 10
    1. I think you can work on floors, it's just looking flat, you can use geometry with alpha.
    in concept a geometry placed over the basement.

2. you can use zbrush to make some damages on the pillars and bake it down..
    3. the tubelights on the both side is like floating.
    4. As on other images, use lots of wires hanging around.
  • Chandler
    Good start. I think some more lighting contrast will go a long way toward making it look less flat as srivignesh put it. The lights in the concept aren't actually that strong and illuminate only the areas close to them, leaving some darker areas that make the scene more visually interesting. Also I think you could work a bit more on the pillars and the ceiling and get some of those extra surface details from the concept in there.
  • Jack Ryan
    I think the areas between the pillars are too long when compared with those in the concept, but that may have been a design choice on your part.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Similar to what Jack Ryan stated, I think the space between the pillars looks long due to the camera lens being a wider angle than the concept. If you lower the camera angle width, you'll get more of the contained, claustrophobic feel that is missing from your environment.

Are you using lightmaps? Use them to darken the areas where the lights have no effect. Play with the strength of the lights to bring the shadows back and create depth. You can also back AO into the lightmaps to prevent giving your objects the "floating" feel where they don't look grounded.

Keep working on it and making improvements! :)
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you guys for commenting :D

I'll fix the issues you stated in tge following week.
    I am gonna probably redo the pillars and fix the lighting.