Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Overgrown Greenhouse Environment (Need Feedback)

This is a project I've been working on the past few weeks, would love some feedback from a different set of eyes.

I'm focusing on creating realistic foliage and textures, along with dramatic lighting to create a "living" environment.

Plan on adding a few particle systems to give more movement to the piece (dust, flies, maybe some water droplets)

Any comments or concerns welcome!
Thanks!

Gy1krUu.jpg?1
8t4CA3m.jpg?1XB8wTW8.jpg?1

Still can't figure out how to add a signature soooo I'll just do it manually...

http://www.tannerlambo.com

Replies

• tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my second pass of screenshots with some more set dressing and atmospheric work.
    f1IrD9T.jpg?1
    3cFUXha.jpg?1

• Inkalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The size of your presenting image is way too big. It doesn't have to be that large. Your foliage could use some work. The cards along the walls don't have any depth to them. Looks like you just stuck them there. Along with hanging leaves along the ceiling. The vertex painting seems off. It just suddenly ends. Have it fade off subtly. Also the dirt in the plant boxes could use more brown and less white. I think the glass panes could also use some variation as in different textures and maybe some broken ones. Some color added to break up the green and grey that you have going would be cool too. Some colorful plants/flowers perhaps.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wenglish polycounter lvl 10
    this is looking cool, you have done a really good job conveying an overgrown and chaotic feel
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grass needs a great deal of work. The texture is rather bland, and the models are clearly just billboards; at the very least add a second segment so you can bend them. The grass also seems too large compared to the ferns. I'd seriously consider removing it entirely, possibly replacing it with some appropriate weeds.

The primary color in the soil texture seems to be gray, with only a few brown spots. I'd switch to a more traditional deep brown texture. You can also add a deep green moss to the shaded & moist areas.

You might want to vary the planters a bit. Have those under broken windows in better health, while those under unbroken glass are dying to show the effect of water poring in.

The grime on the windows is too uniform. Show dirty streaks to show the effect of water flow, and increase the dirt along the edges, especially at the bottom. The broken glass doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing; some sections could be partially broken, with glass fragments remaining.

Try adding some wear & tear to the planter frames. At the very least there should be some dirt, again darker towards the bottom, but you can also add cracks, worn corners, and the occasional missing chunks.
  • tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inkalicious sorry about the image size, haven't posted up here in a while and pulled the screens from my blog. I agree that the foliage definitely needs another pass to give it some more depth. The vertex painting hasn't really gotten too much attention yet and yes that patch of grass looks way off. The mud and window texture/color can be changed up quickly using material instances so I will do that quickly. And your not the first person who suggested to add some flowers and more color.

Lawless Flogic thank you! thats the general feel i was going for :)

DWalker I'll be sure revisit the grass completely now that you point out the size of em compared to the ferns I see what you mean, way too big. When you say add another segment you mean horizontally through the middle and allow some bending? correct?

I really like your idea of adding mossy spots for the moist areas, so I may have to play around with that.

Yes the plants are way to similar right now, was going to create a material that gives some color variation to the plants depending on world position, so hopefully that breaks it up. But will also focus some dead plants in areas with no light.

The windows are going to get some new meshes with some cracked and broken panes to break up the all-or-nothing thing going on now. I will also add one or two more parameters to add more grime and water marks in certain areas.

Great advice on the planter frames, wayyyyy to boring right now. Definitely will go back in with some vertex painting and break it up.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Its gonna be a busy weekend, got a lot of stuff to fix up! thanks again, any more feedback or comments will be greatly appreciated!

• tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updated shots. Revisited the vertex painting on everything except the foliage, still need to go back and visit the dead plants. Fixed the grass made it a lot smaller and less intrusive. Cant figure out how to keep god rays while using tiledshot. So the images are just screengrabs
    U3jsTT9.jpg
    SVUb2dn.jpg
    bQafeuy.jpg
  • tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress, Any feedback would be awesome!
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy

rJPwFcu.jpg
    ns4bek9.jpg
    MIOmwJ2.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Hey,

I think its looking really good!

But i would say you need to work on the spec and normal maps for the foliage and maybe try adding some sub surface scattering.

I also feel its to tame......like you have over growth but it still in the bounds of the man made confines.....i would feel that in abandonestructures you going to have more over growth......and maybye broken pavers instead of covered up with dirt

and in the 2nd to last pic what is with the rocks in the view? you dont seem to have them in any other area of the green house

also maybe adding particles in the air might add to the it.....also i feel the fog could use some color :)

I hope this helps :D Keep up the good work
  • tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress, working with the lighting adding more color, along with the post processing as well as adding more foliage for the "overgrown" look

CT78feX.jpg
    2hH34uW.jpg
    aI4ccYa.jpg
    62lzwss.jpg
  • tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reworking the lighting a little bit more. added some trash cans, signs, flowers and clay pots to break up the color
    DsaSl4c.jpg
    DWQaJSi.jpg
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rays are a little strong for me, but it could be what you're going for. Also I feel the irrigators would at the very least have some moss on them, as well as the fans due to the moisture in the air.

I like the overall feel, looks a lot better since you added the browner textures.