Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sherlock

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Working on more stuff for the portfolio to help with job hunting. Decided to extract my thumb and try to nail a likeness.

It's bsed on the BBC series with Benedict Cumberbatch, which you should watch because it's awesome.

Here's where I'm at so far.

sq65.jpg

Replies

• Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good so far man, the likeness in the shape of the eys is great and the fae shape seems pretty accurate. All Id say is start defining hos bone structure a bit more and the mouth/nose need some work, dont be afraid to go a little over the top with features, as long as theyre accurate theyll look great.

This might be good reference for you -

Benedict_Cumberbatch_filming_Sherlock_cropped.jpg
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    I think it looks very nice as well. It might just be a matter of adjusting your lighting to get those cheekbones to pop. Right now some of his features seem a bit soft, but I'm only comparing with the reference in the post above
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Yeah I'm having some issues with the skin and lighting; it's really smoothing things out too much. I've actually defined the forms quite a bit in the sculpt and crankedu p the detail so it's very strong in the sculpt (so it would get reduced by the shader) but all that just seems to disappear, even the lines I cut into the lips are almost non-existant :/

I'm using Mental Ray in maya with the ssss fast skin shader (relections from mia_material), I'm open to suggestions as my shader/lighting tweaks so far have done little to help retain the forms and detail.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    I used a tutorial for using a different shader for reflections that got mixed with the skin shader...turns out I had the wrong shader assigned to the model so the reflections and normals weren't working properly. The irises are coming otu very dark, might need to do some light linking to fix that.

Played with lighting more and doing some rebalancing, also need to get the hair looking like it was before.

3d90.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back and reworked the shader and lighting from scratch, and did some texture tweaking.

3z8v.jpg
  • BigK
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking really good so far there are some things I would take a look at moving forward. In my opinion with 3d portraits the key is the expression in the end. He has a very distinct smile that creates a lot of creases in the corners of his mouth and at his nose, his smile also makes his eyes squint even more than usual. Another facial expression from this that is really powerful is when he is extremely angry, or puzzled, his brow scrunches up and creates distinct creases again like the smile. Things to think about that will make people immediately recognize who the model is. Great stuff man.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BigK. It turns that 'maya derivatives' was unticked in the render settings (could have sworn I turned it on) so hardly anything was coming from the normal map. It's coming in now but maybe being softened a bit too much from the lighting/shader, so may have to punch that up again.

Still not happy with the eyebrows and the scalp->hair transition needs some work. I think the lips could do with some more reflection too.

Anyhoo, here's where he is at the moment

0f2c.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    hey, I like your portrait so far! No doubt that's Benedict Cumberbatch. But right now the skin feels really translucent to me. The shadows could be a little harder/sharper (especially around the lips) and maybe a bit darker. other than that its coming along great.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I reduced the translucency slightly and set a turntable render overnight which has revealed a few things that need tweaking such as reflectivity, back scatter and the shape in a few places.

I'll work on those then move on to the scarf and coat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_hL42Sv0w"]Sherlock test 3 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit of work on the scarf including adding fibers, on to the coat afterwards.

htuf.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    A few minor tweaks then I'll give it a background and call it done.

gov1.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done and moving on.

id56.jpg