Home Technical Talk

Projection painting to cover up seams

What's the best way to blend seams in textures and is there a tutorial out there you can point me to? I have access to BodyPaint, Photoshop, and ZBrush only. The only tutorial I have for BodyPaint doesn't cover projection painting using actual photos which is what I'm using. Help would be nice.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    ZBrush's Spotlight feature does a good job of painting over seams. It's essentially vertex painting, so your UVs do not need to be laid out before painting a model.

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/spotlight/
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Try googling for "clone tool bodypaint3d". I found solutions to your problem in less than a minute.

That being said, if memory serves correctly, with the clone tool selected, you need to control click on the area you want to sample from. After sampling, you can projection paint using it.

To make things a bit easier, while being in the bodypaint3d layout, open a new texture window. Window>New texture view..
    Load your texture/photo using File> Open Texture..
    If the texture is already loaded, then you can switch to it in the Texture window. Textures>Your Texture. If it was not already loaded it will simply display the last opened texture.

This way you can directly sample from the 2d texture file, instead of trying to sample from the texture on a 3d mesh.

@Bartalon, that wouldn't really work if he is working on a low poly model though. I never really tried painting anything in Zbrush, but I know how vertex colours work.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    bb0x wrote: »
    @Bartalon, that wouldn't really work if he is working on a low poly model though. I never really tried painting anything in Zbrush, but I know how vertex colours work.

You can disable smooth subdividing to retain the shape of your low poly but still get millions of vertices to paint. Here's an example by Andrew Smith:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypqnfj-Mng"][Speed Paint] 3D - Low Poly Squirrel - YouTube[/ame]
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Ah.. yeah that's one way to do it. =P

I still would avoid using that method though, especially if you are trying to make pixel perfect textures. As you would need to bake, and thus the textures get resampled. Correct me if I am wrong.

But that shouldn't be much of an issue if you are working with photo sourced textures.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In addition to polypaint, zbrush can also use Projection Master to transfer document pixol colors to a texture map, letting you paint onto a UV'd lowpoly model without having to subdivide at all. I tend to combine this with a zapplink to photoshop.

Photoshop also has 3d painting abilities.
  • Timidy
    Awesome guys, I'm going to try out some of these methods. In Zbrush, is polypaint the same as Spotlight?

Also in Photoshop I get a degraded texture. I'm using an 8K texture and want it to show in 8K, or at least match that as closely as possible. Is there a way to increase the texture display on the 3D model within PS like you can do in the Max viewport?

Edit :

Bb0x - I've tried your method in BodyPaint and it works very well, thanks for that.